Firmware Feature requests for HS Switches/Dimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ryanoly View Post
    Basically when you install dimmers the first thing your wife says is she hates the slow ramp or the "delay" for the lights to go on. So you fiddle with the local ramp rate trying to balance how fast it gets to full brightness and the ability to actually control the ramp via hold down. Too fast and you can't really adjust the brightness, too slow and the wife complains about how long they take to turn on.

Our house cleaners were here yesterday and I couldn't help but think of this thread. After they left and I was walking around the home I realized they left damn near every dimmer in a random low power state. Part of me wishes I could see what they must have done before finally giving up and walking away from it. I suspect they tapped down but when it didn't immediately respond like a normal bulb they probably started hitting it again in some fasion. Maybe my logs will show it.

Comment

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
      Our house cleaners were here yesterday and I couldn't help but think of this thread. After they left and I was walking around the home I realized they left damn near every dimmer in a random low power state. Part of me wishes I could see what they must have done before finally giving up and walking away from it. I suspect they tapped down but when it didn't immediately respond like a normal bulb they probably started hitting it again in some fashion. Maybe my logs will show it.
      I have partially implemented a cleaning crew mode. The intention is to have my wife turn on a virtual device for cleaning crew mode. First, all lights in the house will be copied to a virtual placeholder of their current state. Then all lights in the house will be turned on 100%. When they leave, my wife can turn off the virtual device which will set all lights back to their original state based on the virtual placeholders.

I never quite finished it, but if I do the hardest part will be getting my wife to using it.

Comment

I understand the issue presented here and we will have look at it. Changing the firmware is not easy, and believe it or not, we are already running out of code space. The 700 series Z-Wave chip will finally fix the code space issue.

What you could do, if you see the lock code entered from the cleaners, run an event that sets the ramp rate parameter to instant. Then set it back when you arrive home.

Originally posted by scorp508 View Post
        Our house cleaners were here yesterday and I couldn't help but think of this thread. After they left and I was walking around the home I realized they left damn near every dimmer in a random low power state. Part of me wishes I could see what they must have done before finally giving up and walking away from it. I suspect they tapped down but when it didn't immediately respond like a normal bulb they probably started hitting it again in some fasion. Maybe my logs will show it.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          I understand the issue presented here and we will have look at it. Changing the firmware is not easy, and believe it or not, we are already running out of code space. The 700 series Z-Wave chip will finally fix the code space issue.

What you could do, if you see the lock code entered from the cleaners, run an event that sets the ramp rate parameter to instant. Then set it back when you arrive home.

I work from home so I usually have the door unlocked for them, but maybe a scene controller with cleaning mode is in order.

Have any estimates been made for when 700 series chips will start to show up in commercially available products? I almost hate to ask since the HS-200 series just got out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ideally for me, two issues have come up lately.
            • Be able to set the "last" value of the dimmers. (so I can default the light on level based on ambient light)
            • Be able to control the brightness of the status LEDs (really a WD200+ issue, at night when you're showing 5 green lights, it's pretty bright. Bright enough to light up the whole wall across from the switch)

Comment

Originally posted by mjgtp View Post
              • Be able to set the "last" value of the dimmers. (so I can default the light on level based on ambient light)
              Pressing the paddle once already turns the light on to the last level. You can also create an event that turns the dimmer on to the "Last" level.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                Rich,

Do you already keep a dimming table in the chip to convert 0 to 99% to the actual parameters used for setting the turn on times of the attached light? If so how big is the table? Is it a full 100 bytes?

I ask because it would be nice if we could upload different tables since the LED, even between different brands, dimming curves are so much different compared to incandescent lights. That would make a world of difference.
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
                Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
                Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
                3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
                4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
                3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
                SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                  Pressing the paddle once already turns the light on to the last level. You can also create an event that turns the dimmer on to the "Last" level.
                  I think he wants to be able to set a “last” level from an event such that a single top tap will turn the light on to a level determined by the time of day or a luminance sensor. For instance an event could set the internal last level memory to 50% while the dimmer is off without actually turning the dimmer on.

I do it now by triggering an event from the top tap scene, setting the lighting to one of several levels determined by schedule and ambient light. This works, but if the network is slow the lights might come on at their last level for a second or two before returning to the level set by the event.
                  HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post
                    Rich,

Do you already keep a dimming table in the chip to convert 0 to 99% to the actual parameters used for setting the turn on times of the attached light? If so how big is the table? Is it a full 100 bytes?

I ask because it would be nice if we could upload different tables since the LED, even between different brands, dimming curves are so much different compared to incandescent lights. That would make a world of difference.
                    What you are asking for is similar to a gamma curve. As far as I know this curve is fixed in firmware and cannot be changed for individual light characteristics.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                      What you are asking for is similar to a gamma curve. As far as I know this curve is fixed in firmware and cannot be changed for individual light characteristics.
                      Yes, a gamma curve. I was hoping that the gamma was being done using a table and that the table could be reloaded. So the real question is "Is the gamma curve in the part of the firmware that can be reloaded, e2ROM or is it in the fixed ROM. If it's in e2ROM then it would be possible to have an LED and Incandescent firmware updates with the gamma being the only difference.

BTW, I still think you need an LED startup mode for all of the dimmers. What is LED startup you ask? It's when going from off to a low dining level you actually go to 30% or more, should be settable, dim for a cycle or two. That get the electronics in the bulb enough voltage to start quickly. If you just go to say 5 or 10% dim it may take a couple of seconds before the LED bulbs electronics gets enough voltage to start up and the bulb turns on. I've done tests and this does work.
                      Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

Ideally you should be able to set a minimum start level, minimum dim level and the curve. The gamma could just be n integer that changes the curve. This would make the dimmer compatible with the greatest variety of lights

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          Ideally you should be able to set a minimum start level, minimum dim level and the curve. The gamma could just be n integer that changes the curve. This would make the dimmer compatible with the greatest variety of lights
                          Right, there is nothing wrong with minimum start being lower than minimum dim. It just means you will go to minimum start then go back to the requested dim level. We're saying the same thing in different words.

I've used a gamma values with LED lighting as well as using the table method. With the table you can tailor the curve better but it takes more work and data entry to get the table right. Using a gamma setting gets the job done quickly and takes less data entry although it's not always as accurate. For this application a gamma value would be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mjgtp View Post
                            • Be able to control the brightness of the status LEDs (really a WD200+ issue, at night when you're showing 5 green lights, it's pretty bright. Bright enough to light up the whole wall across from the switch)

Count me in as liking the way the dimmer ramp works as it is.

I have an event that turns them off in the bedroom when the house goes into sleep mode, and the way my control events work, I have one master event I can trigger as part of the wake up event to reset them.

Comment

Is it ever likely the 200 series dimmers/switches could support BASIC and SWITCH_MULTILEVEL in their controlled classes?
                              I think this would probably require a separate association group?

Currently adding another switch device to the HS-WD200's association group does not result in control of the other switching device. Control can only be achieved through events/device linking via the HomeSeer controller. That means loss of lighting control in a server outage.

I'm new to Z-Wave but from what I understand this is because the controlled classes of the WD200 only includes CENTRAL_SCENE.

I'd really like this as a feature request but I've seen the comments in here already about limited code space.
                              Other wall dimmers do do it, but those wall dimmers don't support status LEDs and quadruple/quintuple tap. So maybe there's only so much room.

Reference my other thread here:

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=196048

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                                Yea, not what I meant... time is after 6pm, and light is off. Update "Last" from whatever it was to 10% WITHOUT having to turn the light on to 10% then off via event. For what it's worth, I have events that do this already as a workaround (much simpler than others have done) and the HS dimmers are VERY fast and I don't even notice it going on and off. It's just kinda kludge-y.

Comment

Working...
                                X