Local Control Versus Cloud-Based Home Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Local Control Versus Cloud-Based Home Automation

"Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
    "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

REAL local control is what I'm striving for. I previously (almost 30 days ago) was running a pair of Vera Plus units. Vera is supposed to be all local as well. I had the unfortunate learning event of a complete internet outage (DSL went down) and suddenly things started acting very weird and then stopped working. Although the Vera itself and z-wave are local, several of the "apps" aka plugins I was running had internet dependencies. It was my incorrect assumption that in the event of "no internet" only those plugins would not work. I was dead wrong. With Vera the Luup engine does a restart every 6 minutes and when it did those internet required plugins through the whole system into a HUNG state and it wouldn't recover until I REMOVED those apps. There is no disable in Vera, and thus by removing the app that of course trashed my PLEG automations and Scenes that were setup and well made me start looking yet again for a real solution.

And here I am today

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
      REAL local control is what I'm striving for. ....

And here I am today
      Welcome!
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Working...
      X