Triggering EVENTS with Alexa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triggering EVENTS with Alexa

I have the HomeSeer Skill in my Alexa app. It works perfectly for turning lights on or off, but does not work for events.

What is the best way to trigger an event in my situation?

Thanks!

One method I use is a Virtual Device. We have an event called Bedtime. This event turns off lights, sets back thermostats, arms the alarm, etc. The event is triggered with a Virtual Device (also called Bedtime) turns ON.

We say "Alexa, turn on bedtime."
    The Virtual device turns ON, triggering the event to do it's thing.
    The last thing the event does is turn the Virtual Device back to OFF.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Exactly what I do, create a virtual device and run an event when the device status changes....and set the virtual device back to a known state when done :-)
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Thanks for the great directions!

Where is the best place to become informed about setting up a virtual device?

Thanks!

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yGQoTcqql4

:-)
          HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Thanks, Pete!

I am so pleased with Alexa controlling devices, I can't wait to get this set up to run events / virtual devices.

Comment

I use Jon's Alexa Helper which runs my events without issue.
              The only down side is you have to tell homeseer... or whatever name you give it. Still, works great and I highly recommend it!

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Is Jon's Alexa Helper easy to install / use?

Comment

Yes it is. Jon provides great documentation and structure in his packages.
                  Just take your time and read through the documentation and you should be good!

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I'm trying to figure all of this out as well and it seems that there is no way to get around the need to tell Alexa to turn ON or OFF a device and just RUN the event.

I had to create the Virtual Device "Reset Lights" and say "Alex, Reset Lights On"

It seems that ON and OFF is all Alexa understands.

The whole teller her to tell HS to run an event is too long winded as you have to say it and then she insists on conforming if that is what you want to do and you have to say yes...

It would be great is Alexa also understood NOW in addition to ON and OFF so I could just tell her "Alexa, Reset Lights Now"

I need this event as it seems that HUE lights remember their last settings. If your messing with the fun app that changes all the colors and intensity on all the lights in the room to say a movie and then stop and tell her to turn on the living room lights, well they all come on at different colors and intensities. Need a way to just reset them.

Next I'll see if I can just overwrite the room command and actually have Alexa reset the lights every time I ask the room to be turned on...

Comment

Originally posted by rjbur View Post

It seems that ON and OFF is all Alexa understands.
                      You can also dim/bright lights.

"Turn on Kitchen (lights) at 50%."
                      "Increase/raise/bright(en) kitchen (lights)." (In 20 or 25% steps)
                      "Lower/decrease/dim kitchen (lights)."

Thermostats:
                      "Set downstairs to 68 (degrees)."
                      "Increase/raise downstairs to 2 (degrees)."
                      "Decrease/lower downstairs to 2 (degrees)."

Comment

I'm curious to see what happens once the next Alexa API update is approved. There is now a "Voice Command" setting for events themselves though I haven't seen anyone say how we'll interact with it once the API update is approved. For example would it be "Alexa, run reset lights" if your event was configured with "reset lights" for its voice command?

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                          Exactly what I do, create a virtual device and run an event when the device status changes....and set the virtual device back to a known state when done :-)
                          Oh man... years later I am just seeing this,.... and bet it explains why some of my virtual devices are flakey with the Echo.

Help me get my head around this.

If I have a virtual device for a lighting scene... and tie 'on' to an event that that turns lights on, and tie 'off' to an event that turns the lights off... why would I need to reset it?

So, each event uses "if a device changes manually and becomes off", run scene.

yet I notice my virtual garage doors get all hoarked up.... lighting scenes don't always run, etc.

Ironically, the "tell homeseer" version of the alexa skill works every time, although now that I think about it, it might be just running the event which has a similar name to the virtual device.

what am I missing with the reset?

Comment

I use the "Routines" of the Alexa app to do these things. It allows me to configure Alexa to recognize a specific phrase (i.e. Alexa, It's Bedtime) and have that phrase trigger a virtual device in HomeSeer. The device, in turn, will then trigger the event to lock the doors, arm the security, and set my lighting to my preferences.

It works exactly as being described in this thread, except the "On/Off" key words are not needed and the English seems much more normal.

Comment

Originally posted by randycboone View Post
                              I use the "Routines" of the Alexa app to do these things. It allows me to configure Alexa to recognize a specific phrase (i.e. Alexa, It's Bedtime) and have that phrase trigger a virtual device in HomeSeer. The device, in turn, will then trigger the event to lock the doors, arm the security, and set my lighting to my preferences.

It works exactly as being described in this thread, except the "On/Off" key words are not needed and the English seems much more normal.
                              Yes, and I'm hoping once the API update is approved we don't even need to create/manage Alexa routines. I'm hoping the event voice command becomes a routine you can call the same way an Alexa routine currently is.

Comment

Working...
                              X