www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > RFID Plug-ins > RFID Discussion > iAutomate RFID Plug-In (3P)

iAutomate RFID Plug-In (3P) Discussions pertaining to iAutomate.com's RFID plug-in for HomeSeer.

Old December 17th, 2014, 08:03 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualPanther View Post
Peter,
I looked at the adapter on your web site, but still can't figure out if it behaves in the same way as Global Cache products. That is, it is allowing access to a serial device via specific IP and does NOT need to be physically connected to a PC.

The reason I am asking is because my intent behind making all devices IP-based is to make them seamlessly accessible to different PCs. I have six serial ports on my HomeSeer primary computer. But if that PC goes down, I want to be able to bring the backup installation of HomeSeer online and continue house control uninterrupted. This is what I am doing with Z-Troller, by having it connected to Global Cache serial-to-ip adapter. The Z-wave plugin is configured to connect to z-troller over Ethernet. As a result, as long as I have only one instance of HomeSeer running at the time, I have no problems connecting to z-troller from that running PC - physical or virtual.

With your serial-to-IP server / adapter, how exactly would I di the same? How does the IP address become a serial port in device manager? If all of this is via LAN, then that's perfect. If anything needs to be connected to a specific PC, then not...

The side they have pictured has a serial port, the other end has power and ethernet connections.
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualPanther View Post
Peter,
I looked at the adapter on your web site, but still can't figure out if it behaves in the same way as Global Cache products. That is, it is allowing access to a serial device via specific IP and does NOT need to be physically connected to a PC.

The reason I am asking is because my intent behind making all devices IP-based is to make them seamlessly accessible to different PCs. I have six serial ports on my HomeSeer primary computer. But if that PC goes down, I want to be able to bring the backup installation of HomeSeer online and continue house control uninterrupted. This is what I am doing with Z-Troller, by having it connected to Global Cache serial-to-ip adapter. The Z-wave plugin is configured to connect to z-troller over Ethernet. As a result, as long as I have only one instance of HomeSeer running at the time, I have no problems connecting to z-troller from that running PC - physical or virtual.

With your serial-to-IP server / adapter, how exactly would I di the same? How does the IP address become a serial port in device manager? If all of this is via LAN, then that's perfect. If anything needs to be connected to a specific PC, then not...
The device resides anywhere on the LAN (and with some work, optionally over WAN), and the supplied driver handles the rest to create a serial port in Windows. The Windows Driver converts the Serial Packets to TCP/IP and vice-versa with virtually no latency.
Old January 1st, 2015, 07:46 PM
Seer Master

Question

Peter,
After setting things up on HS3, for some odd reason, one of my old tags is non-detectable at all. All the others works fine. So it seems that it's just the tag that died / became too weak exactly when I migrated to HS3. The only way to be sure is to replace the tag with a new one. This is where I need your advice. My readers and current tags are from 2011. What is the best tag to be mounted on a windshield in an SUV? I went to look at your web site and you have many more choices these days

I found a tag that says it replaces my current model (L-TG501-A): http://www.iautomate.com/products/wa...l-tg501-a.html
Then there is a tag that is supposedly for home automation systems specifically, including HomeSeer: http://www.iautomate.com/products/wa...or-indigo.html
Finally, there is a vehicle RF tag (http://www.iautomate.com/products/Pu...hicle-Tag.html). This is likely not compatible with my readers, since it says "For use ONLY with the Pure RF Long Range RFID Reader - Serial, LAN or Wiegand". Of course, if it is compatible and it provides a stronger signal, I'd love to have it!

I wanted to paste a link to the readers I have, but it's no longer available on your site

Last edited by VirtualPanther; January 1st, 2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old February 11th, 2016, 12:42 AM
Seer Master

Is there any chance of this plug-in being migrated to Linux?
Old February 21st, 2016, 04:48 AM
Seer Master

I am planning to get a keypad and proximity reader from a Danish company Conlan (www.conlan.dk). They have Wiegand compatible readers. I wonder whether this plugin supports these readers.

Last edited by jlikonen; February 21st, 2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:00 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlikonen View Post
I am planning to get a keypad and proximity reader from a Danish company Conlan (www.conlan.dk). They have Wiegand compatible readers. I wonder whether this plugin supports these readers.
The plugin only supports Wavetrend RX-200 series readers and the RX-50 serial reader.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 01:05 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedr View Post
Is there any chance of this plug-in being migrated to Linux?
Sorry, no. There would not be enough demand to offset the costs of development.

We do have an OS X solution that has been available for a couple of years now.

Peter
Old February 23rd, 2016, 06:01 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmonahan View Post
The plugin only supports Wavetrend RX-200 series readers and the RX-50 serial reader.
OK, thanks a lot for the info.