www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Lighting & Primary Technology Plug-ins > Lighting & Primary Technology Discussion > HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in

HomeSeer Z-Wave Plug-in Discussions relating to the Z-Wave plug-in

Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:35 AM
Seer Master

Using a module in your car to open the garage door?

What is the easiest way to open a garage door. I want to see if it is possible without using the phone or a remote controll.

Would it work with the new modules that can operate on 12v. To say put an on/off part between lights or something, so when blinking the lights with your car the door opens?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:41 AM
Seer Master

I would say that pushing the Homelink button or the remote is much easier that wiring in a secondary solution! LOL
Plugins:Z Wave 3.0.1.55, HS3 Pro 3.0.0.208, HS3Touch, HS3Touch IOS, Z-Net, SceneMaster, XBMC, Sonos, Media Controller, Envisalink (52 Virtual nodes), JowiHue, EasyTrigger, Liftmaster MyQ, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLRadar, Pushover

Devices:Cooper RF9540, Cooper Scene, Yale Locks, Sonos, Phillips Hue and Lux, DSC, Somfy Blinds
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:47 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519zwave View Post
I would say that pushing the Homelink button or the remote is much easier that wiring in a secondary solution! LOL
Only if your car has it, my make of car has no models supported...perhaps that is a sign of it's lack of quality.

I'm not sure that a Z-Wave module is really going to be suitable and don't know how it will react to being in and out of the network all of the time. Have you looked into RFID/Bluetooth type solutions?
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:00 AM
OverSeer

I have one of the Flash2Pass garage door openers. They seem to be out of business now but a few can be found on various sites. I use this in my convertible so I do not have to worry about my remote being taken. Here's a site showing the install.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114802
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:46 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappy View Post
Only if your car has it, my make of car has no models supported...perhaps that is a sign of it's lack of quality.

I'm not sure that a Z-Wave module is really going to be suitable and don't know how it will react to being in and out of the network all of the time. Have you looked into RFID/Bluetooth type solutions?
Zwave remote like aeon keyfob or micro switch that is directly associated with LFM/ZFM wired into your opener will work just fine. Battery operated devices don't need to be present all the time as they don't do routing.

But mounting those is not as nice as they don't have brackets like the ones garage door openers do.

Also their battery life will not be as good as garage door opener remote - at most 1yr. My garage door opener runs for years and years.

What I use is regular garage door opener with zwave door sensor.

http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=13
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:36 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5tabil View Post
What is the easiest way to open a garage door. I want to see if it is possible without using the phone or a remote controll.

Would it work with the new modules that can operate on 12v. To say put an on/off part between lights or something, so when blinking the lights with your car the door opens?
If you want simple, connect a 12V relay to your high beam headlights. Wire the normally open contacts across the push button of an old garage door opener transmitter. Flash your high beams and you are in. We've been doing that on motorcycles for years. I use a R/C circuit and a transistor for the relay coil drive to limit the on time to about 3 seconds so that the transmitter would not constantly transmit when the high beams are on and powered the transmitter from the motorcycle instead of a battery.

One of them I installed on a 2005 BMW is still being used by the new owner at his house.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old June 4th, 2015, 10:35 AM
OverSeer

A while ago, I wired a UPB controlled appliance module (hacked into a dry-loop relay) into the 24VAC line that runs from my garage button to the unit.

Now, I use a AutoRemote command to EventGhost, which interacts with Homeseer using the Homeseer Plugin for EG. After I fire the command, if HomeSeer decides it is OK to open (there are a few things I check for), it opens and fires off a still from my security camera that watches the door.

If it is a close I am requesting, HS sends my phone a request for "OK" with a still from the security camera.

I used to have it auto open / close based on the CheaperRFID and a motion sensor that is in my car - however with the kids...there is too much of a chance that they have stuff in the way of the door. So, now I require a person to look first. I also have a laser based safety gate that I could install to allow the automatic stuff to work again...but as was listed above, it was just easier to toss in some code to grab a still and send that to my phone (using AutoNotification with "OK To CLOSE" "UPDATE" and "CANCEL" buttons

--Dan
Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.