Status Only Device Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Status Only Device Problem

I have a virtual device for Home, Away and Vacation (same device, with three options). I use an event to change the device status automatically as I leave or return from home. I don't want buttons to change the device manually but when I check the box for status only the device no longer updates status shown when the event triggers. Same thing happens if I just select Status on the Status Graphics tab. If I have the buttons available it gets out of sync if someone makes a manual change.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I would like a device just to show occupancy status for each person without the manual control.
    Last edited by Planetview; October 30, 2015, 01:52 PM.

I've noticed the same behavior. Since I'm still moving functions to HS3 I haven't been paying close attention, but it seems to me the behavior changed recently.

Is it a bug? That's a matter of interpretation, but I suspect it is by design. I haven't tried it yet, but you can probably work around it by using an immediate script command instead of a device action to change the device value.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

It's something I struggled with as well (and I am sure Rich recently talked about it) but it I think that for a device that has pairs you label as status then you will lose the manual buttons and they will then be removed from event actions. The belief is that you can't control a status only device by button or event action, it will have it's value set by a script or a plugin rather than anything else.

I don't know the implication of the status only box as I think that was a stay over from HS2 (?).

Have you tried setting the pairs to status and using something like hs.setdevicevalue in an immediate script command instead to see whether it changes the status...

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Have you tried setting the pairs to status and using something like hs.setdevicevalue in an immediate script command instead to see whether it changes the status...
        I have not tried using a script. I have not used scripts since V1 so I am unfamiliar with the current ones allowed. Is there a reference?

Comment

I found the scripting reference online so I will have to give it a look. http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer.../scripting.htm

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
            I just tried it and several variations after reading help files and it did not work.

In the event under Then Run a Script or Command I entered hs.SetDeviceValue in the Sub or Function window and 59,1 in the Parameters window with 59 being the device number and 1 being the status I want to appear for the device.

Comment

I also created a home.txt file with the following and it did not change the device status either regardless if the device was set for status only:

sub main
              hs.SetDeviceValue 59,1
              End Sub

I created the device from the YouTube tutorial that Mark did for Virtual Home, Away or Travel status but only want it to reflect the status from changing events and not be a user switchable device.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                I just tried it and several variations after reading help files and it did not work.
                I just tried a test using an immediate script statement. It seemed to set the device value of a status only device successfully.
                When you say it did not work, what did you observe?
                Attached Files
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Planetview View Post
                  I also created a home.txt file with the following and it did not change the device status either regardless if the device was set for status only:

sub main
                  hs.SetDeviceValue 59,1
                  End Sub
                  I believe that statement is expecting the device address not the device reference ID. Try hs.SetDeviceValueByRef 59, 1, False

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    I believe that statement is expecting the device address not the device reference ID. Try hs.SetDeviceValueByRef 59, 1, False
                    That worked. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X