Looking to Automate My Whole House Fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to Automate My Whole House Fans

I have 3 whole house fans that I would like to automate. I will eventually be using a thermostat and HS3 to turn the fans off and on as needed.

The fans are currently controlled with a single-gang triple switch (for on-off control of each individual fan) wired in series with a Lutron push button timer switch. The timer switch has buttons for 2,4,8,12 hours.

I would like to use either Zwave or RadioRA2 to control the fans. So far I can't find anything smart like the single gang triple switch that I am using now. I thought of just using smart plugs up in the attic, but I still want local control for my wife and kids. I would also rather not use a 4-gang box for all of the switches that would be required if I go with full size devices. Is there a way to accomplish this with some smart plugs/switches in the attic and relays?

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
    I have 3 whole house fans that I would like to automate. I will eventually be using a thermostat and HS3 to turn the fans off and on as needed.

The fans are currently controlled with a single-gang triple switch (for on-off control of each individual fan) wired in series with a Lutron push button timer switch. The timer switch has buttons for 2,4,8,12 hours.

I would like to use either Zwave or RadioRA2 to control the fans. So far I can't find anything smart like the single gang triple switch that I am using now. I thought of just using smart plugs up in the attic, but I still want local control for my wife and kids. I would also rather not use a 4-gang box for all of the switches that would be required if I go with full size devices. Is there a way to accomplish this with some smart plugs/switches in the attic and relays?
    Using any of the smart plugs (if rated for motors) would still work and then where the triple switch is those wires could be wired together and a face plate. Using a remote like the ZRC-90US or a Wall Mote, etc. to turn on each individual fan. I assume the fans are plugged into an outlet in the attic? If so the zen15 might work better for motor control than a smart plug because of inrush current.

Comment

Working...
    X