www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old April 13th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
No problem. I am glad you said it because I remember that my other gmail accounts required a generated pw to work. The reason I say this is because I tried using one of my other gmail accounts in HS using the pw created when the account was created and it did not work. So I did the generated pw and it worked.

I just put in my pw created with the account and tried sending an email from an event and Google blocked it! I put back in the generated one and it worked again. Go figure.

Interesting. I bet you had SSL checked. Did you try it without SSL? May get the opposite results.
Old April 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksum View Post
Interesting. I bet you had SSL checked. Did you try it without SSL? May get the opposite results.
I just tried it without ssl ticked and put in my other pw and nothing happened at all. No error email from google, no nothing. I then put back in the generated pw and left ssl unticked and again nothing at all. As soon as I ticked the ssl all of the tries I had sent went through. How's that for one.
Old April 13th, 2018, 10:20 PM
Seer Master

Cowinger,

I set SMTP Server to:

smtp.gmail.com

Server Port: 465

smtp user name and password are standard gmail username and password.

Homeseer default from address and to address same as above

SSL is checked

In gmail setup checked box to allow unverified apps to access gmail.

I am only using this account to recieve e-mails from homeseer. No personal e-mails going to or from this account. Still not sure why the two step verification procedure would be needed in this case?

Also why would you allow apps to access your e-mail. Not sure I understand what this whole app thing is about? Any clarification would be much appreciated !!!!!! Thanks much again !!!!!!! Rick
Old April 14th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bonari View Post
Cowinger,

I set SMTP Server to:

smtp.gmail.com

Server Port: 465

smtp user name and password are standard gmail username and password.

Homeseer default from address and to address same as above

SSL is checked

In gmail setup checked box to allow unverified apps to access gmail.

I am only using this account to recieve e-mails from homeseer. No personal e-mails going to or from this account. Still not sure why the two step verification procedure would be needed in this case?

Also why would you allow apps to access your e-mail. Not sure I understand what this whole app thing is about? Any clarification would be much appreciated !!!!!! Thanks much again !!!!!!! Rick
I created another email address with the steps you used and it works great. I had been using an email address to use for HS and personal but now HS has it's own so 2-step not needed. Thanks for the help.
Old June 6th, 2018, 06:15 PM
Seer

what am I doing wrong

I am getting the following error when trying to send email

Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.

I have use gmail checked. I put the my username without the @gmail.com and I put my password in the password. I am not using 2 factor authentication. What am I doing wrong?

rkshack
Old June 6th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Seer Master

Give this a try. This is for both send and receive email. If you don't want to receive then leave the bottom area blank.
Attached Images

Old June 6th, 2018, 07:57 PM
Seer

I did everything as above and this what I got:

Exception sending email via smtp.gmail.com (To:xxxxxx@gmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
Old June 6th, 2018, 09:14 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
I did everything as above and this what I got:

Exception sending email via smtp.gmail.com (To:xxxxxx@gmail.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:homeseer, Attach = Authenticate as SSL client failed. You might be connecting to non SSL port.
Do you have 2-stage authentication setup in Google? If you do then you can create a new email address but do not set it up with 2-stage.
Then use this setup and try again.
If you do have 2-stage then you need to log in and turn it off or if you still require it you will need to create an app password.
See this post. https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...92&postcount=3 to create an app password with 2-stage authentication.
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:55 PM
Seer

I have not activated 2 stage authentication.

Rkshack
Old June 7th, 2018, 12:23 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkshack View Post
I have not activated 2 stage authentication.

Rkshack
Make sure your password is correct. Caps lock off and spelling. If you have "use gmail" at the top still checked then uncheck it. Make sure your email username has @gmail.com at the end of it.
Old June 7th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Seer Deluxe

Alternatively you may need to set the account up to allow less secure apps. You can find the settings under myaccount.google.com Just use the avatar at the top right to make sure you are logged into the correct account if you have multiple GMail accounts.
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Seer

I confirmed my password is correct. I even typed it in another window and pasted it so I can see what I am typing. ON google, under sign in and security I have allow less secure apps on.

I have used the smtp and use gmail settings without success. I just do not know what to do. I am trying to get a thermometer I have to email me If my garage freezer gets too warm. I am open for suggestions. Hi have the hs zee if it matters.

Fixed: I thought I had updated my system. I just did the update and now it works great with just entering email and password in the gmail area.

Last edited by rkshack; June 13th, 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:59 PM
OverSeer

Along time ago people n the board used to use an open app called Stunnel.
It basically is a service that runs on the HS3 PC and acts as a bridge to GMAIL.
After getting it running (use the config file in the link below) you point your POP3/SMTP server to your local computer and then the Stunnel service connects to Google.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthre...stunnel+config

~Bill