Automatic update crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic update crashing

I keep getting these error messages on my HomeTroller. What could be causing this?
    Attached Files

Just a guess reading here.

Windows Update scan high memory usage

We have Windows 7 SP1 (x86 and x64) deployed across our domain, running on hardware that ranges from very old to very new. A common problem that has started occurring (since the deployment of Windows 7) is that machines with 2 GB of memory will run very slowly during various times of day.

Through process monitoring and live captures, we have narrowed it down to the wuaserv.exe service running inside a svchost.exe process. The service will consume as much memory as it can, until the machine is unusable. Stopping the windows update service immediately releases the memory and the box will run in a normal state again.

There seems to be several others out there who have come across this problem, and all have come up with a couple common answers. Repair the windows update service (has not worked), or stop using Microsoft Update in favor of Windows Update (not applicable since we use SCCM 2012 SP1 for update management.)

I can't just change the SCCM setting to stop scanning so frequently, I need to ensure my systems have the updates we've applied, and enforcement is critical. Even if I reduce the scans, the problem still occurs when the scan kicks off. This is having a negative impact on our business, and I'm not looking for a workaround. I need a solution to this problem so we can move forward.

If this is not the right forum for this post, please let me know where this would better fit. Thanks in advance.

Maybe trying the update without running Homeseer 3?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

That post is about windows 7. I have a HomeTroller with XPE. Also I have disabled the automatic updates and I still get the errors.

Comment

Yeah it's worse with XPE / Homeseer 3.

Even though you have disabled automatic updates the service might still be running.

It is here on my Jogglers running XPe.

How much memory usage does your windows task manager show for Homeseer.

Here is an XP fix that may work on XPe.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

1 - Click Start, click Run, and then type net stop wuauserv.
        2 - On the desktop, double-click My Computer, and then delete the drive:\WuTemp folder.
        3 - Click Start, click Run, and then type net stop cryptsvc.
        4 - Delete the drive:\Windows\System32\Catroot2 folder.
        5 - Open the drive:\Windows folder, and then rename the SoftwareDistribution folder as SoftwareDistributionOLD.

6 - Open the drive:\Windows\system32 folder, and then follow these steps:
        a - Rename the Wuweb.dll file as Wuweb.dll.old.
        b- Rename the Wuapi.dll file as Wuapi.dll.old.
        c - Rename the Wuauclt.exe file as Wuauclt.exe.old.
        d - Rename the Wuaucpl.cpl file as Wuaucpl.cpl.old.
        e - Rename the Wuaueng1.dll file as Wuaueng1.dll.old.
        f - Rename the Wuaueng.dll file as Wuaueng.dll.old.
        g - Rename the Wuauserv.dll file as Wuauserv.dll.old.
        h - Rename the Wucltui.dll file as Wucltui.dll.old.
        i - Rename the Wups2.dll file as Wups2.dll.old.
        j - Rename the Wups.dll file as Wups.dll.old.

7 - restart the computer.
        Attached Files
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I will try that tonight. As for how much memory homeseer is using, in windows 7 when I look in task manager it shows memory usage for each program but in windows XP when I open task manager under task manager it just list the processes that are running and don't show how much memory is uses.

Comment

I am confused.

What specific OS, CPU, memory Hometroller model are you running HS3 on?

It might be a bit easier to start with the basics of hardware / software / OS utilized for running HS3 and what works well and what doesn't work well.

IE: A old Hometroller with embedded XP on it using a single core CPU will NOT do a good job running Homeseer 3.
            Last edited by Pete; October 21, 2015, 09:25 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Running HS3 on a HomeTroller S4
              Attached Files

Comment

Yup; a single core Atom N270 / 1Gb of RAM will not make running Homeseer 3 a pleasant experience. Using Chrome / Firefox on it will also bring it to a crawl.

I have over the last two years helped some folks with Homeseer 3 on old Hometrollers. While I was able to get it to work; it did not work well.

I installed a very lite Ubuntu server on it and it still was very slow.

If you can up the memory to more than 1Gb it might help a bit but not much. It might get rid of the error.

What size DOM do you have in it? It may be close to capacity now. (32Gb?)

Goofing a bit here playing with an HP T5740e with an Atom N280 and 4 Gb of memory running embedded Windows 7. (also with the PiPoX7 running Windows 10). I did purchase this terminal as new old stock and now have installed an expansion interface to it making it twice the size. ($50 with every option on it).

Here looking to make the HP terminal a Kinect/Alexa remote. It runs W7e OK but not sure how well it will do with the Kinect stuff. Right now the PipoX7 does very well with the Baytrail / 2Gb of RAM.

I might also just make it a Homeseer 3 touchscreen terminal and not bother doing anything else with it. That said it probably will run Homeseer 3 OK but really slow because it does only have a single core Atom CPU.

I would personally leave XPe / HS2 on the Hometroller and look to run Homeseer 3 on some other hardware.

You have many choices today.

1 - RPi2 / Linux runs Zee-2 HS3 lite, HS3 Standard or Pro just fine if you do not overload it. $35 plus case and power supply.
                2 - older SFF PC with a core duo that you can purchase for less than $100 today.
                3 - a mini PC like the Aopen Digital Engines do well and are tiny. I use these today for my KODI STB's. You can find these on Ebay. The digital engine ones were made to be running 24/7 (IE: they are well built).
                4 - newer Mini PC Baytrail or Celeron based for under $200 or even around $100. There was a discussion relating to these as they are in small industrial looking cases (not plastic).

There are much more choices. The new mini pc baytrail prices are all over the place. Really they are worth about $100 with a Windows license which is truely a good deal on a mini PC.

I understand that you paid a bunch for the Hometroller and at the time it was a best bang for the buck CPU / memory and HS2 package.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have a computer that I bought last year as a refurbish. I originaly bought for Kinect but currently not using it. Would this be a good candidate for HS3?
                  Attached Files

Comment

That should work. That's low on memory for full blown W7 but wouldn't it be easier to do a restore on the HomeTroller using one of the restore sticks?
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      That should work. That's low on memory for full blown W7 but wouldn't it be easier to do a restore on the HomeTroller using one of the restore sticks?
                      I've been trying.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=176206

Comment

Yes that W7 64 bit machine would be fine for HS3. Upgrade the memory to 4 or 8 or more if you can.

Leave HS 2 running on your Hometroller and use it for configuring your HS3 stuff without touching it anymore.

Or use it for HS touch if you want. If you cannot restore the Hometroller you can repair the DOM. It us a pita.

If the restore isn't working your DOM might be trashed and not worth the effort anymore. There are 32 Gb new DOM's available now for less than $50.

Relating to just the Hometroller running XPe; it will do better running HS2 with more memory. 1 Gb RAM and a single core Atom N270 is minimum.
                        Last edited by Pete; October 21, 2015, 12:10 PM.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If I want to add serial ports to mu other computer would this work? I know there are empty slots on the back. Just wondering if any will work or do I need a specific one that will work with my pc. If specific what info do I need to know which will work.

Comment

Here I utilize Digi Edgeports. Well now for many years. I purchased all of my Digi 8 port Edgeports used. They are made for commercial use and last forever.

The old HS2 box is running today with one USB cable to a Digi 7 port USB hub to USB devices including 2 Digi Edgeports which gives me 16 serial ports (using them today) and 5 USB ports (using them just fine today).

I have just recently started to connect serial devices to the new HS3 box and currently using one Digi Edgeport to the Ubuntu pieces and one Digi Edgeport to the Wintel pieces and it works just fine.

You can also utilize a Digi Anywhere USB device and connect to USB / serial devices via a network connection which works fine with Windows 7.
                            Last edited by Pete; October 21, 2015, 06:40 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

If I want to change the RAM in my computer will RAM from any other computer work? I have 4 that was remove from a work computer. The blue is from my current computer and the green is from the work computer. Will these work in mine?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X