www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old July 14th, 2017, 05:07 PM
Seer Deluxe

Any news on HS4?

I know HS3 is reliable and it works fine for most people, but at this point, it is just super duper dated. It's been like 4 or 5 years since last major upgrade. In the software world, that's a lifetime!! Anyone know when HS4 is being released? Is it even being developed?
Old July 14th, 2017, 05:50 PM
OverSeer

I doubt it is even been considered for development at the minute - I'd be shocked if it was.

I think the fundamental architecture is relatively solid, the interface and event engine is pretty stable. The UI is what people see and judge the product on and what is lacking, that is a complaint that is echoed quite often but no news on what may be in store in terms of UI improvements. There was mention of a HSTouch replacement but no news on that in a while and no ideas what that will bring.
Old July 14th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Seer Master

Plenty of things in HS3 need fixing!
Old July 14th, 2017, 07:45 PM
Seer Deluxe

I agree, plenty needs to be fixed and plenty needs to be added. The Event engine works fine, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. Currently, for many simple tasks u need to create multiple events. A more advanced engine should be able to handle all that in a single event... The interface is whole story by itself. It looks like it was made in the 90's... Again, it works and it's stable, but it is definitely time for a major refresh and upgrade.
Old July 14th, 2017, 08:03 PM
OverSeer

My God.

What's the problem?
The event engine doesn't "look" modern but it works? Should they put more icons or emojis in there or something? I'm confused. Maybe paint it purple? Or go with the current trend and make everything white and flat?

These kind of comments spring up every now and again and I think that ultimately what folks are looking for is a nice remote control UI. But I may be mistaken. HSTouch will usually answer those questions if one is willing to take a few days to work it, though it does have its own quirks. Otherwise there is Imperihome and the Spud plugin. I have no idea why it took that long for someone to make an Imperihome plugin but Kudos to Spud.
Old July 14th, 2017, 08:08 PM
Seer Master

Perfect Setup

Let the complaints begin!
Old July 14th, 2017, 08:40 PM
Seer Master

HS8?

HS3 quietly has undergone several major revisions that I think some companies would bill as new versions. Those big revisions all involved new features that were not on the list of features when I purchased my HS3 Pro upgrade. Look at the recent betas of 332-340 that are introducing large changes in how HSTouch works for example. If you factor in large revisions like the time multithreaded event handling was added, JSON support, IFTTT\Echo\MyHS...I count 4-5 major revisions since it was released.

HS8 FTW!

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.318) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links
Old July 14th, 2017, 08:55 PM
OverSeer

All companies should have a 3-5 yr plan. You can bet they have a general roadmap if they want to be competitive.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

HS3Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi2 (Raspbian)
64 Z-Wave Nodes, 162 Events, 293 Devices
UPB modules via OMNI plugin/panel
Plugins: Z-Wave, BLRF, OMNI, HSTouch, weatherXML, EasyTrigger
HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler
Old July 14th, 2017, 10:43 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper4000 View Post
I know HS3 is reliable and it works fine for most people, but at this point, it is just super duper dated. It's been like 4 or 5 years since last major upgrade. In the software world, that's a lifetime!! Anyone know when HS4 is being released? Is it even being developed?
I never realize that HS3 is dated because as far as I know there aren't many new ways to turn on a light, open a garage door, arm and alarm system. HomeSeer 3 is an automation engine that simply works for most. The new front ends are now the new VR engines like the Echos, Dots, Google Homes, etc. True automation shouldn't require much of a front end as the point is to automate.
Old July 14th, 2017, 10:44 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Plenty of things in HS3 need fixing!
Do you have examples as I'm sure Mark and crew would like to know this.
Old July 14th, 2017, 10:56 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupp View Post
I think we should limit this to actual problems, not improvement or enhancement requests.

I'll start with 2
  1. Group conditions are broken
  2. When editing an event a trigger should not be allowed to be deleted - deleting the primary trigger breaks the event. Deleting a secondary trigger (OR IF) should be allowed, but all associated conditions must be removed as well or the event is usually broken.

There are others and I'm certain someone else can point out more.

Not directly HomeSeer, but the HSTouch designer is so buggy as to have an almost impossible learning curve.

Contemporaneous change logs on the core program and plug-ins would be very nice.

I have no problem with the look and feel of the current interface, when HomeSeer is working correctly, I don't even look at it. I have no problem with the design of the event engine. It will do most anything that needs to be done. There are a few missing event functions that fortunately have been added by Spud. I don't care that it takes several events to accomplish things, it wouldn't be any improvement to be able to try to do too many things within a single event.

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old July 14th, 2017, 11:25 PM
Super Seer

It would probably be easier to check the black hole of bugzilla....
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
I think we should limit this to actual problems, not improvement or enhancement requests.

I'll start with 2
  1. Group conditions are broken
  2. When editing an event a trigger should not be allowed to be deleted - deleting the primary trigger breaks the event. Deleting a secondary trigger (OR IF) should be allowed, but all associated conditions must be removed as well or the event is usually broken.

There are others and I'm certain someone else can point out more.

Not directly HomeSeer, but the HSTouch designer is so buggy as to have an almost impossible learning curve.

Contemporaneous change logs on the core program and plug-ins would be very nice.

I have no problem with the look and feel of the current interface, when HomeSeer is working correctly, I don't even look at it. I have no problem with the design of the event engine. It will do most anything that needs to be done. There are a few missing event functions that fortunately have been added by Spud. I don't care that it takes several events to accomplish things, it wouldn't be any improvement to be able to try to do too many things within a single event.

+1 Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, Z-Wave 3.0.1.200
Old July 15th, 2017, 03:38 AM
Seer Deluxe

After the considerable effort involved in moving from HS2 to HS3 there's no way that I'd consider HS4.
Old July 15th, 2017, 08:18 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Yeah, you should really check Bugzilla for things that are broken and enhancement requests.

Old July 15th, 2017, 08:19 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
I never realize that HS3 is dated because as far as I know there aren't many new ways to turn on a light, open a garage door, arm and alarm system. HomeSeer 3 is an automation engine that simply works for most. The new front ends are now the new VR engines like the Echos, Dots, Google Homes, etc. True automation shouldn't require much of a front end as the point is to automate.
Actually, new devices are released all the time to do just that.

Old July 15th, 2017, 08:41 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
I don't wish to sound flippant but have you checked Bugzilla? There are countless examples of broken functions - even recent changes to HSTouch have rendered scripting interfaces broken without any suggestion of even awareness let alone possibility of fixing.

The Energy API contains a number of features that are broken to the point of it being unusable.

This is not even considering feature requests/enhancements, HS is not cheap by anyones standards so there would be an expectation that features would be fixed and enhancements forthcoming to keep up with trends.

I do not get the impression that Rich or anyone in HS is sitting on a beach being fed pina coladas but to suggest that nothing is broken is a little tough to read.
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:35 AM
OverSeer

Yeah, I'm with you on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhappy View Post

I do not get the impression that Rich or anyone in HS is sitting on a beach being fed pina coladas but to suggest that nothing is broken is a little tough to read.
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:15 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumper4000 View Post
I agree, plenty needs to be fixed and plenty needs to be added. The Event engine works fine, but it can DEFINITELY be improved. Currently, for many simple tasks u need to create multiple events. A more advanced engine should be able to handle all that in a single event... The interface is whole story by itself. It looks like it was made in the 90's... Again, it works and it's stable, but it is definitely time for a major refresh and upgrade.
If I'm interpreting your issues correctly, you appear to be reacting primarily to the UI, not the underlying architecture. If so, I think it's important to note that HS3 is still on version 3.0. Part of the reason for that, has to be because there were - and still are - some important functions that do not yet work as intended and need to be fixed. I would expect that UI improvements, including replacing features that HS2 had, but which have not yet been replicated in HS3, will begin to appear in v3.1. I'm also expecting that HSTouch will be augmented with a mobile-centric interface that I hope will have a more modern design.

Concerning the need for multiple events to execute 'simple' tasks: that appears to be a complicated mix of design philosophy and the weighting of versatility over compact event structures, which I do not expect to change any time soon. It is most often raised by people who have used another product that made it very easy to construct compact events that would accomplish typical multi-step tasks. If that turns out to be important to more users, I'd be more inclined to expect a plug-in designed to facilitate that type of structure, rather than a change to the underlying HS event engine. (Personally, while I do wish OR and AND commands could be used more effectively in events, I do not find the need for multiple events and virtual devices to be a burden. It's mostly comes down to learning how to break down complex tasks in a way that takes advantage of the inherent capability of HS. While not exactly intuitive, it's a skill that makes HS much easier - and more fun - to use.)

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old July 15th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Good luck selling that to the average wife. When she wants a light on, she wants it on, and it is impossible to program for every possible contingency. Believe me, with more that 600 active events (and counting), I have tried.

Right now I have a large number of Enerwave Plus switches that stop working with pressing the paddle hours after inclusion. Try convincing the wife that since the automation works fine, it really doesn't matter that the physical switch is just decorative.