www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old June 21st, 2018, 02:11 PM
Seer Plus

Alexa Triggering Events - Solved!

Hello People,

Has anyone created an Alexa skill that triggers an EVENT? Here’s my problem: “Alexa: Trigger the garage door” opens or closes my garage door via IFTTT but if the garage door is stopped, to vent the garage during summer, you have to issue multiple commands to fully open it. However with an event and a little logic a single or multiple commands can be issued. Plus you could change the INTENT (I think) to “Alexa: Open the Garage Door”.

Joseph
Old June 21st, 2018, 02:20 PM
Seer

I've not experimented with this fully yet myself but first thoughts would be use a virtual device to trigger from Alexa
Old June 21st, 2018, 02:23 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfraser05 View Post
I've not experimented with this fully yet myself but first thoughts would be use a virtual device to trigger from Alexa

Search for Jon00’s Alexa helper. It’s very flexible and adds much to the existing basic support for running events from Alexa.
Old June 21st, 2018, 02:26 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsyers View Post
Hello People,

Has anyone created an Alexa skill that triggers an EVENT? Here’s my problem: “Alexa: Trigger the garage door” opens or closes my garage door via IFTTT but if the garage door is stopped, to vent the garage during summer, you have to issue multiple commands to fully open it. However with an event and a little logic a single or multiple commands can be issued. Plus you could change the INTENT (I think) to “Alexa: Open the Garage Door”.

Joseph
HS Events that are enabled for Voice Command will show as "Scenes" under "Smart Home" in the Echo app. You can create a "Routine" in the Alexa app to run the Event you choose. Routines can use any verbiage you wish after the "Alexa" attention word. There is no need for a Virtual Device. Events run as a "Scene" from Echo do not observe Conditions. If you need Conditions in your Event you will need an intermediate Event to launch it using "Run only if other event conditions are true".

Name:  Image-1 (002).jpg
Views: 63
Size:  34.6 KB

Name:  Image-1 (004).jpg
Views: 54
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  Image-1 (003).jpg
Views: 60
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 62
Size:  10.3 KB

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Last edited by rprade; June 21st, 2018 at 03:47 PM.
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:17 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade View Post
HS Events that are enabled for Voice Command will show as "Scenes" under "Smart Home" in the Echo app. You can create a "Routine" in the Alexa app to run the Event you choose. Routines can use any verbiage you wish after the "Alexa" attention word. There is no need for a Virtual Device. Events run as a "Scene" from Echo do not observe Conditions. If you need Conditions in your Event you will need an intermediate Event to launch it using "Run only if other event conditions are true".

Attachment 69461

Attachment 69462

Attachment 69460
rprade,

Where does the "Voice Command" line come from? My events are void of this command line textbox...

Joseph
Old June 21st, 2018, 03:38 PM
Seer Plus

rprade,

Never mind, just updated hs3... By the way, THANKS!

Joseph