www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area

HomeSeer General Discussion Area General discussion about HomeSeer that does not fall into any other category or are not specific to 1.x or 2.x versions of HomeSeer.

Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:07 PM
Seer

Configuration of Nortel Siren/Strobe

I'm setting up a Nortel Siren/Strobe WA105DBZ-1. It says it supports the Z-wave 'Configuration Command' which supposedly allows me to enter 0 (default, siren and strobe), 1 (siren only) or 2 (strobe only). Where in HS3 do I enter these values? The default (siren and strobe) works just fine but I need to use strobe only for now. Thanks

Current Date/Time: 6/23/2018 4:52:57 PM
HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
Linux version: Linux hometrollerSEL 3.16.0-031600-generic #201408031935 SMP Sun Aug 3 23:56:17 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 0 Days 0 Hours 16 Minutes 32 Seconds
IP Address: 10.0.0.46
Number of Devices: 43
Number of Events: 10
Available Threads: 199

Enabled Plug-Ins
3.0.1.190: Z-Wave
Old June 24th, 2018, 05:46 AM
Seer

Click on the root node of the siren in your devices list. Then select the z-wave tab at the top, should be the right most tab. On that tab you will see a drop down section for "configuration". This is where you would configure device settings such as what you are describing. HS3 may have discovered some options automatically and present them. Otherwise you will need to enter a custom configuration option.
This is usually comprised of an option number, then an option setting (0, 1 or 2 in this case), and a byte length. Devices sometimes tell you in their documentation what byte size to use, if not I think there is an "auto" option.
Old June 24th, 2018, 03:15 PM
Seer

OK, thanks! So, per the documentation I set the parameter number to 0, value to 2 (strobe only) and byte size to 1. Then pressed 'Set'. It said it was communicating with the device - then nothing! Tested and no change i.e. the siren was still selected. Shouldn't I have seen some verification that the new configuration had been applied? I did try 'Test Connectivity' and 'Optimize' and they both worked just fine.
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM992 View Post
OK, thanks! So, per the documentation I set the parameter number to 0, value to 2 (strobe only) and byte size to 1. Then pressed 'Set'. It said it was communicating with the device - then nothing! Tested and no change i.e. the siren was still selected. Shouldn't I have seen some verification that the new configuration had been applied? I did try 'Test Connectivity' and 'Optimize' and they both worked just fine.
Try this. Change the parameter to 1 and press set. It should return a 0 in the value. Set the value to 2. Set the byte size to 1 byte and press set. If it does it correctly the value should show a change of 2 instead of 0. If it does you are good and you can test it.
Old June 24th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
Try this. Change the parameter to 1 and press set. It should return a 0 in the value. Set the value to 2. Set the byte size to 1 byte and press set. If it does it correctly the value should show a change of 2 instead of 0. If it does you are good and you can test it.
Parameter 1 is the auto stop time. HS allows me to enter this parameter and adjust the value no problem. However, when I try to enter Parameter 0 which is the siren/strobe mode that I want to adjust it doesn't appear to accept it - it just resets parameter to 'Select'. Thanks so much for your help!
Old June 24th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM992 View Post
Parameter 1 is the auto stop time. HS allows me to enter this parameter and adjust the value no problem. However, when I try to enter Parameter 0 which is the siren/strobe mode that I want to adjust it doesn't appear to accept it - it just resets parameter to 'Select'. Thanks so much for your help!
I just found the manual for this one. It is different than the other sirens out there. Strange.
So it shows parameter 0 as you said. So if you select 0 in parameter and make sure the value is blank, what do you get if you hit the set button. What value shows up? Are you within a foot of the controller when you do this?
If that doesn't work then you might want to try to exclude it (within a foot or so) by pressing tamper button for 1 sec. while in exclude mode. Then re-include (within foot), same tamper button for 1 sec. and try again with parameters.

Last edited by cowinger; June 24th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old June 24th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Seer

Strange, looks like you're doing everything correct. Are you specifying the size as 1 byte, or using auto? Only other thing I can think of.
Old June 24th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I just found the manual for this one. It is different than the other sirens out there. Strange.
So it shows parameter 0 as you said. So if you select 0 in parameter and make sure the value is blank, what do you get if you hit the set button. What value shows up? Are you within a foot of the controller when you do this?
If that doesn't work then you might want to try to exclude it (within a foot or so) by pressing tamper button for 1 sec. while in exclude mode. Then re-include (within foot), same tamper button for 1 sec. and try again with parameters.
If I select Parameter 0 with Value blank and hit Set, the Parameter goes back to (Select). If I select Parameter 1 with Value blank and hit Set, the Parameter stays at 1. Yes, the siren is within a foot of the controller. Bottom line it won't accept Param 0. I'll try exclude/include.
Old June 24th, 2018, 07:46 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellhahn View Post
Strange, looks like you're doing everything correct. Are you specifying the size as 1 byte, or using auto? Only other thing I can think of.
I've tried both, 1 byte and Auto. Doesn't make any difference!
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Seer

I excluded then included. No change in parameter 0 acceptance.
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Seer Master

This can be a challenge. The problem is the unit goes to sleep rather quickly and of course will not wake up because it's a battery device.

Try opening the cover and removing the battery after you have included. Now put the battery back in and change the parameter. It should stay awake long enough after the battery is re-installed.

At least that's how I did it.
Old June 24th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerfern View Post
This can be a challenge. The problem is the unit goes to sleep rather quickly and of course will not wake up because it's a battery device.

Try opening the cover and removing the battery after you have included. Now put the battery back in and change the parameter. It should stay awake long enough after the battery is re-installed.

At least that's how I did it.
As far as I can tell, it only goes to sleep when unplugged from the 120V. It communicates just fine while plugged in. Anyhow, I tried the battery disconnect/reconnect but it made no difference. It still won't accept Parameter 0
Old June 25th, 2018, 12:47 AM
Seer

It's a last ditch troubleshooting step but have you tried excluding the device, then including in non-secure mode? I know that sounds totally dumb for a device aimed at home security, but I'm out of suggestions sorry. Other than a suspicion that the parameter number is documented wrong.