Discovering new devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discovering new devices

I have just moved my Temp05 connection accross to a new machine. I have installed Homeseer and the mcsTemp plugin. However, mcsT doesn't seem to 'see' the two temp probes, that were / are working on the other machine when reconnected.

I also notice that the Temp05/Relay05 tab page does not show the version number of the Temp05. Its as if it is not going through an initial intialisation routine. I have run the Set command through the '1 wire data monitor'. The data from the sensors is appearing in the monitor every minute as expected. Serial numbers are also shown as being delivered from the Temp05.

Regards

Nigel

Confirm the correct version 4 vs 5 checkbox. Information is gathered at startup by the plugin with the VER, DIS, and TMP commands. If you have the setup form open to the Temp05 tab and send a VER command manually then you should see the version number text appear on the form as a simple test. Set the debug checkbox and capture the ah.log data from the time you exit the setup form. Email or post it so I can see what the plugin is trying to do.

Comment

Michael,

I set the general log to on and updated the General set-up. I then looked at the log in Homeseer 'live' and was confronted with reams and reams of 'Temp05 Comm Event = 5' and '6'.

I notice this to a lesser extent when using the '1 wire data monitor window'. Around the time data is sent I receive a stream of 5s and 6s in the 'comm status' window.

While data appears with the '1-wire data monitor' it does not when I update and watch the AH.log. It's as if the system is too busy watching the 'Ring Indicator'and 'Carrier Detect'lines....

Not sure of the purpose of these lines, do I need more than just Rx, Tx, and Gnd ?

Should I ground these lines to try to prevent stray voltages ?

Regards

Nigel

Comment

Only the three lines are used. Most PC interfaces will default the lines to an inactive state. I'm not certain if inactive is high or low or if your interface uses 12v or 5v rails. You do want to do something about it since it is generating event activity and sucking up cpu cycles. MalcomS, also from your area of the world, was having port problems and his solution was to replace the interface.

Comment

Michael,

Having read your response I decided to try one more thing...

My installation uses CAT5e and an RJ45 panel between the Temp05 board and the DB9 connector of an 8-port seriel card. There is obviously plenty of opportunity for stray signals to be picked up. I didn't want cable directly between the Temp05 and the PC as everything goes via flexibilty points for'flexibility'. This is a new house and I am trying to build in an easy upgrade path using Telco techniques I have learnt over the past 20 years.

see http://primrosecottage.no-ip.com
          pages 7 and 8

Anyway, to the point... I soldered a male and female DB9 connector back-to-back, but only connecting pins 2,3,and 5. I left all the other pins 'floating'. I have placed this on the DB9 connector of the PC and plugged the cable to the Temp05 on the other side of the 'adapter'.

Success !!! I now don't receive any 4s or 5s, just 2s... and the data updates every minute as it should.

Thanks

Nigel

Comment

Great! Looks like those little antennae were picking up something. Maybe it was alien communications.

Comment

Working...
            X