www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Hardware > HomeSeer Wall Dimmers & Switches

HomeSeer Wall Dimmers & Switches Forum for HomeSeer Wall Dimmers & Switches

Old June 14th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Viewer

HS-WS200+ LED vs resistive load ratings

In my shop, I have 162W LED linear high bay lights, wired 3 per switch.

The HS-WS200+ specs list 1800W (15 amp) resistive load but only 200W LED/CFL load.

Since this is a switch and not a dimmer, is there a reason why the LED load spec is so much lower than the resistive load?

I haven't opened one up to look at it, but if the load is switched by a 15A relay, isn't 15 amps = 15 amps regardless of the type of load??

Thanks,
Shawn
Old June 14th, 2018, 06:36 PM
Seer

Might be related to limiting inrush current, which could potentially damage the switch?

https://www.meanwellaustralia.com.au/news/avoiding-led-driver-inrush-current-problems
Old June 15th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Viewer

Interesting, thanks -- that makes sense. Sounds like a lot of variables to inrush current, so 200W would be a safe/conservative rating without knowing all the details of the load.

Seems odd that with the proliferation of LED's, inrush current limiting devices are not readily available online. Also, odd that the spec sheet for my lights does not list inrush current (they are newer, commercial lights).

Makes me wonder if the ~1 second delay when turning on newer LED lights may be related to inrush current limiting components built into the driver.

Guess I need to open up one of the lights and see if I can find a spec sheet on the driver. A lot of the concern about inrush current seems to be when there are many (8+) individual drivers wired in parallel on one circuit, so maybe I'm overthinking it.