Booster Fans...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booster Fans...

My office at home is not staying cool enough during the summer. Once the weather cools enough to do some work in the attic, I would like to install a booster fan on my office duct and control it with Homeseer. Does anyone have experience with a booster fan that can withstand temperatures greater than 150 degrees? It seems most have a 140 cutoff and I am afraid that may not be high enough.

Thanks
    Gary

If the temperature in your attic is really above 150 degrees, you might want to work on lowering that. Maybe more turbine ventilators, a ridge vent, even a powered turbine ventilator. Do you have plenty of soffet vents (or something like that) for airflow INTO the attic? On the hottest summer days, my attic temp gets up to around 125-128. Maybe you live in a much hotter climate than I do (Arkansas) but over 150 seems excessively hot even for an attic anywhere. If you could lower the attic temp by 15 to 20 degrees, it would probably help the temp in your house and you might not need a booster fan!
    Last edited by DC; October 24, 2006, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Well I did find two booster fans with higher temperature ratings:

AF-6 Model (which says 266F Max Operating Temp)

and

6' Inline (which says 150F)

Anybody know anything about these fans or their manufacturer?

Thanks
      Gary

Comment

I would guess above 150 would shorten the life of your roofing material other than metal, tile or slate.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by DC
          If the temperature in your attic is really above 150 degrees, you might want to work on lowering that. Maybe more turbine ventilators, a ridge vent, even a powered turbine ventilator. Do you have plenty of soffet vents (or something like that for airflow INTO the attic)? On the hottest summer days, my attic temp gets up to around 125-128. Maybe you live in a much hotter climate than I do (Arkansas) but over 150 seems excessively hot even for an attic anywhere. If you could lower the attic temp by 15 to 20 degrees, it would probably help the temp in your house and you might not need a booster fan!
          Exactly! I replaced a bad attic fan in my old house... The temperature dropped from around 140+ degrees (peak) to around 110 degrees (peak). I was supprised when the entire second floor of my house dropped about 10 degrees in the summer!

Yes... I had an attic temperature probe in my old house :-)
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo
            Anybody know anything about these fans or their manufacturer?
            But.. does anyone know anything about, or have any experience with booster fans?

Thanks
            Gary

Comment

Gary,

I think what everyone is attmepting to say is, You should focus on decreasing the temperature in your attic as the priority.

Reducing the temperature in your attic will improve your air conditioning efficiency and probably cool your office better.

It will also reduce the amount of heat being passed into your house through the ceiling. The are other benefits also, 1 as mentioned will also prolong the life of your roof.

All that aside.....

Yes I have used booster fans like those, and have had 50/50 luck with them. Sometimes they have helped and sometimes they haven't. Each situation is a little different.

StevemE
              Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Originally posted by stevene
                Yes I have used booster fans like those, and have had 50/50 luck with them. Sometimes they have helped and sometimes they haven't. Each situation is a little different.
                Thanks StevemE.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                X