POE Switch Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POE Switch Recommendations

My existing 8 Port Gigabit POE switch died today. It over-heated and cooked itself.

Anyone have any recommendations for a relatively low cost minimum 8 port Gigabit POE Switch that can withstand high temperatures? It does NOT have to be fanless as it's in the garage so noise is not a concern.

I also have had a couple different 8 port POE switches fail in my garage. I'm located in Southeastern New Mexico, so my garage gets a bit toasty.

I have an 8 port switch, a 16 port switch, an Elk M-1 Gold panel with a few accessory boards and a micro PC in a single wall cabinet. No active cooling, but I do try to leave the door partially open.Over the last month the temp inside the cabinet as been between 93 and 112 degrees F.

I switched to a non-powered switch coupled with an active POE injector from WiFi-Texas in May 17. I 'm using the 8 port model, WT-AT-8-56v. This model can support 120 watts across the 8 ports. I'm using all 8 ports to feed a variety of cameras. It set me back $140, so I won't say it's cheap, but it will be worth it continues to work. To date, I've had no problems.

Comment

At work, we use those same POE switches that @kesterf mentioned and they work well for POE VoIP phones.

At home, I recently spoiled myself on Ubiquiti and their equipment so far has been outstanding.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Old ones here that work fine today for me are:

- Tycon mini and maxi POE switches - industrial strength made for outdoor WAP's. These are recommended for your stuff in the garage.
        These are unmanaged POE switches which can be powered by one POE network cable.

[ATTACH]69935[/ATTACH]

Years ago purchased a Tycon Mid span managed 24 port injector (3 power supplies) for around $80. Works well today. Note that this is a power injector and not a switch.

[ATTACH]69936[/ATTACH]

- assortment of el cheapo TP-Link 8 port POE switches

Using 3 24 port TP-Link Gb managed switches today. Old now. Fanless. One is inside of my Leviton 42" media panel. Two are on a rack.
        Plus the TP-Link unmanaged el cheapo 8 port with POE (4 ports) injectors.

Not sure how these will hold up outside with heat. Ran POE to the attic and have a small TP-Link POE switch there too which is still working fine after a couple of years.
        Last edited by Pete; July 13, 2018, 08:36 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          At work, we use those same POE switches that @kesterf mentioned and they work well for POE VoIP phones.

At home, I recently spoiled myself on Ubiquiti and their equipment so far has been outstanding.
          I've been considering a slow roll out of Ubiquiti gear at home. I'm mostly concerned with the heat and if the Ubiquiti would survive. If their 8 Port POE wasn't so expensive I'd go for it and take the risk of the heat. The 8 port (4 POE Port) is not too expensive considering but I really need more than 4 POE ports now and I have 2 more expansions planned. I may just have to suck it up and get the full 8 port but I'm still worried about the heat.

I did find a BV-Tech DIN Rail switch it's rated for 149F but is only a 100Mb switch for POE ports with the 1G uplink. This would be fine for the cameras that are connected. It just doesn't leave room for upgrading cameras past 1080P but I don't have the need anyway. For a "dumb" switch I may consider the BV-Tech as it's cheap enough to try and if it doesn't work out it's not that huge of a loss as it's cheaper than the Ubuiquiti.

Side note I have been thinking of replacing my Wifi setup with an all Ubuiquiti setup. I like their outdoor AP's and having all of the AP's under full management control is very nice.

Comment

The TP-Link 8 port / 4 port POE unmanaged switches are $48 on Amazon.
            The TP-Link 16 port / 8 POE managed switches are $139 on Amazon.

These are cheap robust switches and now have a limited lifetime warranty.

Home networking here started with Cisco switches / routers / WAP in the early 2000's as that is all I was ever allowed to use a few years ago at work.

Ubiquiti has grown now to a nice provider of good hardware. Here was a beta tester for a few things a few years back (WAP's and CCTV).
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              The TP-Link 8 port / 4 port POE unmanaged switches are $48 on Amazon.
              The TP-Link 16 port / 8 POE managed switches are $139 on Amazon.

These are cheap robust switches and now have a limited lifetime warranty.

Home networking here started with Cisco switches / routers / WAP in the early 2000's as that is all I was ever allowed to use a few years ago at work.

Ubiquiti has grown now to a nice provider of good hardware. Here was a beta tester for a few things a few years back (WAP's and CCTV).
              The TP-Link 8/4 POE is the switch that died on me
              I have the TP-Link 16/8 in my office as my primary switch currently.

I'm also toying with the idea to replace my primary switch and move the 16/8 out to the garage as it is fan cooled and may survive the heat better.

Comment

Yeah here all of my TP-Link managed, unmanaged and POE switches have been fine now for a while now.

First purchase of the TP-Link mini 24 port managed fanless switch was to replace a small 24 port unmanaged switch in the Leviton meda can. It's been a few years and running fine with the cover on.

Posted about testing the TP-Link Easy managed switch for my early PFSense VLAN stuff a few years back. (I am pete over at the PFSense forum).

My Tycon mid stream injectors and POE stuff is now over 5-6 years old and doing fine.

I did do a bulk purchase of these devices a few years back for POE tabletop touchscreens and POE outdoor cameras. I switched from the Tycon 5VDC little injectors over to the TP-link multiple voltage POE injectors.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                  Yeah here all of my TP-Link managed, unmanaged and POE switches have been fine now for a while now.

First purchase of the TP-Link mini 24 port managed fanless switch was to replace a small 24 port unmanaged switch in the Leviton meda can. It's been a few years and running fine with the cover on.

Posted about testing the TP-Link Easy managed switch for my early PFSense VLAN stuff a few years back. (I am pete over at the PFSense forum).

My Tycon mid stream injectors and POE stuff is now over 5-6 years old and doing fine.

I did do a bulk purchase of these devices a few years back for POE tabletop touchscreens and POE outdoor cameras. I switched from the Tycon 5VDC little injectors over to the TP-link multiple voltage POE injectors.
                  No doubt the TP-Link gear I have has been good to me which was why I was surprised yesterday to find the switch was fried.

Anyone know much about BV-Tech switches? They have a DIN Rail POE switch rated to 149F....

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
                    The TP-Link 8/4 POE is the switch that died on me
                    I have the TP-Link 16/8 in my office as my primary switch currently.

I'm also toying with the idea to replace my primary switch and move the 16/8 out to the garage as it is fan cooled and may survive the heat better.

buy cheap, buy two, one for a backup, put an extra fan on it.

Comment

Does it have vent holes on the bottom? Does it have a usb port or you could use a 5v wall transformer? If it has both then you could stick a laptop fan cooler under it!

Comment

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

We have a UniFi 8x150 watt switch in the garage and we live in Reno where the garage temps can get to 110+. It is mounted on the ceiling with a small space between the case and the ceiling. So far, we have not had any issues with it.
                          Michael

Comment

Working...
                          X