Occasional AM Bus Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
    Or me on a Raspbery Pi. I'd go mad running it on a Windows machine. The Pi is tucked up inside the Concord 4 panel powered from the backup battery via a 12v to 5v buck. A very handy UPS for the Pi in the event of a power outage too.

Yes. I just bought 3 new RPi 3's to setup testing monitoring my "to be installed" Generac. I'll be running off 12v battery to 5v so it won't lose power and running wireless for now. I may be a convert to RPi for HS & Concord ;o)

Please let us know if the permissions solve your log errors.

Matt

Comment

I've began to have a similar issue, however I cannot locate anything else in the Concord log other than "Communication Failure"

Recently, about every 5 days or so, I will get the AM3 Bus Failure message from the keypad. I use a Trendnet TU-S9 adapter with a 1m USB 2.0 cable that worked great for months (when I first installed and configured HS4 and Concord)

The only way to resolve the issue is rebooting the PC. I have the latest USB to serial drivers installed. HS4 runs as admin too.

I've even used CC cleaner and reinstalled the Prolific drivers and even switched USB ports. Any ideas? Is there another log available that would give me a more in-depth description?

Comment

Originally posted by bradm12 View Post
        I've began to have a similar issue, however I cannot locate anything else in the Concord log other than "Communication Failure"

Recently, about every 5 days or so, I will get the AM3 Bus Failure message from the keypad. I use a Trendnet TU-S9 adapter with a 1m USB 2.0 cable that worked great for months (when I first installed and configured HS4 and Concord)

The only way to resolve the issue is rebooting the PC. I have the latest USB to serial drivers installed. HS4 runs as admin too.

I've even used CC cleaner and reinstalled the Prolific drivers and even switched USB ports. Any ideas? Is there another log available that would give me a more in-depth description?
        Do you have any other equipment attached to the USB ports on the RPI. Are you using a USB hub. Do you use the correctly rated power supply with the RPI.

As a test, unplug the USB cable from the RPI and plug it back in again and at the Terminal enter

dmesg

and press the return. Are you seeing any messages relating to over voltage.

Clearly you RPI is dropping serial comms with AM module. Do you have an FTDI usb cable you could swap in for the Prolific.

Lastly have you debug enabled on the Concord plugin.

Comment

See, I get confused when we talk about rebooting pc and cc cleaner. To me, I have to wonder if were talking Windows? Then we might be able to help what logs you need to check.
          Matt

Comment

Apologies-

This is a Win 10 box. The only other peripherals attached to the computer other than the serial adapter are a USB keyboard and mouse.

The Superbus serial module has been checked to the extent of confirming the heartbeat LED. The panel has been powered down completely and restarted too.

I'm stumped. At times when it fails, sometimes I'll uninstall and reinstall the serial drivers in an effort to re-establish communications with HS4. This does not work. The only resolution is rebooting the PC. Once it boots back into Windows and I load HS4, everything is golden again.

Comment

Apologies-

This is a Win 10 box. The only other peripherals attached to the computer other than the serial adapter are a USB keyboard and mouse.

The Superbus serial module has been checked to the extent of confirming the heartbeat LED. The panel has been powered down completely and restarted too.

I'm stumped. At times when it fails, sometimes I'll uninstall and reinstall the serial drivers in an effort to re-establish communications with HS4. This does not work. The only resolution is rebooting the PC. Once it boots back into Windows and I load HS4, everything is golden again.
              The only way to resolve this is a process of elimination. Start with the hardware first, cables etc that you can swap out easily. I’d then change Com port in Windows. Some other services may be grabbing that Com port. I wouldn’t bother deleting drivers though. If it works on reboot it works.

My guess is a faulty connection between the AM and you Win 10 box. Make sure that DB9 connector is secured tight on your AM module. Failing that change out the serial to usb cable. They do go flaky occasionally.

Comment

Ok. I agree with checking hardware. You also said its every 5 days which makes me suspect of an event in Windows. Whats happening every 5 days? A service conflict, update, etc... Check the Windows log.

Also when it fails goto devices and see if the Com is there. I have an issue with a phone modem dropping occasionaly.

Also Windows builds could cause issues. I use FTDI cs so no experience with Prolific. If you know when it started you do a System Restore prior and see if its stable. I dont beieve its related to plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                  Ok. I agree with checking hardware. You also said its every 5 days which makes me suspect of an event in Windows. Whats happening every 5 days? A service conflict, update, etc... Check the Windows log.

Also when it fails goto devices and see if the Com is there. I have an issue with a phone modem dropping occasionaly.

Also Windows builds could cause issues. I use FTDI cs so no experience with Prolific. If you know when it started you do a System Restore prior and see if its stable. I dont beieve its related to plugin
                  I’ve tried both Prolific and FTDI. FTDI is solid over five years now. Personally I’ve seen too many fake chipsets in the Prolific cables to trust them. That’s why I suggested switching out the one that’s in place now.

All I can say is that the plugin is rock solid too so I doubt any fault will be found there either. Not being a Windows user I can’t really comment on that setup other than to say that the dreaded updates MS push on users cause havoc unless it’s a server version of their software. No such issues with Linux.

Comment

I agree. Im running HS4 on Win10 only because it hosts my Milestone cams too. I run Linux normally. Ive had Windows updates crash my system, reboot auto to bios and had to do System Restore for a Usb hub to Rfxcom.

Here the 5 days catches my eye. A schedule or some config update. Im working up the HS4 code and no further development for the HS3 for me.

Comment

Ok so I waited for the fault to occur. So the first thing I did was reset the Superbus by removing then reinserting 12+ power connector on the board. The bus failure message went away and I was able to control the chime and arming through Homeseer on the console as well as through my phone.....However, the console still reported "red" on Communication Status.

Anyways, I then disconnected the Trendnet TU-S9 serial adapter, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in. Everything is back to normal. Looks like I will be purchasing a new adapter..... strange you could have a hardware failure like that. Especially intermittently.

Comment

Ok so I waited for the fault to occur. So the first thing I did was reset the Superbus by removing then reinserting 12+ power connector on the board. The bus failure message went away and I was able to control the chime and arming through Homeseer on the console as well as through my phone.....However, the console still reported "red" on Communication Status.

Anyways, I then disconnected the Trendnet TU-S9 serial adapter, waited a few seconds, and plugged it back in. Everything is back to normal. Looks like I will be purchasing a new adapter..... strange you could have a hardware failure like that. Especially intermittently.

Just a word of advice on resetting your Concord 4 panel in the event of an AM bus failure. You need to disconnect the AC mains to the panel first and remove the terminal connector from the battery. This allows the panel to go through the power up and self test and re-registers the AM module with the panel bus.

A fake chipset on a serial2usb cable can cause these intermittent problems. Also I’ve seen these cables flip the parity setting on the plugin. You won’t be able to confirm this until you connect a genuine cable, preferably FTDI based.

Ensure your serial connector is firmly secured at the AM module end. Not all serial plugs come with screw connectors. One sure way to loose comms is poor plug connection.

Comment

Thank you

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of things on the net about fake Prolific chipsets and causing issues. Didn't think Trendnet would be one of those tho. They do offer a newer version of what I have. I think I'll shop around for another vendor at this point.

I'm aware of a total power down on the Concord panel too. As stated before I have isolated that the serial module and the panel are definitely not the problem. For anybody that is wondering the LED for rs232 communications, under normal operation, polls once every once in 10 seconds. When there is a fault it doesn't flash at all.

Comment

Thank you

Yeah, I've been seeing a lot of things on the net about fake Prolific chipsets and causing issues. Didn't think Trendnet would be one of those tho. They do offer a newer version of what I have. I think I'll shop around for another vendor at this point.

I'm aware of a total power down on the Concord panel too. As stated before I have isolated that the serial module and the panel are definitely not the problem. For anybody that is wondering the LED for rs232 communications, under normal operation, polls once every once in 10 seconds. When there is a fault it doesn't flash at all.
                            That’s the problem with counterfeit. What it says on outer package is not what’s in the inner package. That the trick to counterfeiting.

Yes its known as pulsing. Four different pulsing states for fault finding. It’s all in the manual anyway https://www.manualslib.com/manual/14...?page=3#manual

Do you homework when choosing a new cable. I’m loathe to recommend a particular brand other than to say you’ve had two shout outs for FTDI here so it’s your choice in the end.

Comment

My Edgeport 4 port serial to usb was rock solid. I converted to a Global Cache IP2SL serial to network for ease of switching to develop. Its overkill but works as good as the Edgeport except the virtual port for Windows. Others could recommend their setups.

Comment

Originally posted by mattm55 View Post
                                My Edgeport 4 port serial to usb was rock solid. I converted to a Global Cache IP2SL serial to network for ease of switching to develop. Its overkill but works as good as the Edgeport except the virtual port for Windows. Others could recommend their setups.
                                Not a recommendation as such but just an outline of the setup.

Raspberry Pi 3b+ powered via Concord4 12v battery using a 12v to 5v buck.

Connected via 1Gb/s wired Ethernet and wireless. Acts nicely as a UPS. Concord AM module connected to RPI via an FTDI serial2usb cable.

HS4 Pro with 5 plugins including Concord plugin. All neatly tucked away in the Concord4 cabinet.

Comment

Working...
                                X