This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 Web Access while running as a Service

I have recently built out a new Home Media / Automation server and completed a new install of HS2. Immediately after installation and setup I was able to access the web control panel via other PCs on my LAN by using the internal IP Address. After setting HS2 up to run as service I can no longer access the web control from other PCs on my LAN. When I type in the IP address of the server the browser simply hangs. I can access the web control via the browser on the server.

I really like using the web control and also leverage it as the means to control from my iPhone. Anyone have this experience?

Thanks in advance for you help!

I think there are a couple of issues with running HS as a service and the general advice is to avoid it where possible...but someone may be able to give you a solution.

Comment

What OS are you running? Are you running any AV software that may block the service from accessing the web server?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I'm running WIN 7 64 Bit. I am not running any AV SW on that box and believe have disabled the WIN 7 Firewall but will confirm.

Comment

Running HS as a program and not a service

Ive notcied when running as a service, that several of my scripts that launch programs or play files do so in the background - I either dont see them or hear them. Is there a way to tell it to run in the foreground when its a service?

Obviously, the simple solution is not to run as a service and I am fine with that except, every time I try to start homeseer, windows asks me if i want to run the program (that security feature). I am running windows 7 OS, is there a way to stop that from asking and have it run as a trusted program? Simple question but I couldnt find an answer. Its annoying because I cant have homeseer start automatically witht he system if it stops to ask me that question.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_eyed_biochemist View Post
            ... I am running windows 7 OS, is there a way to stop that from asking and have it run as a trusted program? Simple question but I couldnt find an answer. Its annoying because I cant have homeseer start automatically witht he system if it stops to ask me that question.
            You can turn off user account control (UAC) in a setting in the control panel on Windows 7. That means turning it right down to the lowest setting. I've done that on the homeseer computer. (I'm not at that machine right now so I can't say exactly where to go to do this, but I seem to recall it's under the system and security settings somewhere - probable the advanced settings in the left hand pane.)

I also run weather software in the start up folder and it needs permission to run as well. The HS computer is firewalled and anti-virused (new word) and behind a good router - so the computer is reasonably secure. I have no qualms about turning off UAC on that machine.

If you still can't find the setting (try google) then post back and I'll give you precise instructions tomorrow (it's night time here.)

Comment

I see I've resurrected a month old thread

I assume the OP has found a solution by now!

Comment

This worked for me under XP

I haven't run HS2 under W7 but under XP this helped me: Go to services, find the homeseer service,dubbelclick it, tab "log on". It should be on local system account, select "allow service to interact with desktop".

Hope this helpes.

Comment

I experiences the very same problem on a Win7x64 installation. I did not want to lower the overall security model on the computer as one of the suggestions on this thread.

I noticed though, that the default firewall on Windows7 is blocking the homeseer service. So, the solution is to prevent this blocking, but adding the HomeSeerService.exe to the firewall.

This is what I did no a standard/default installation on the C drive on a Win7x64 machine:

1) Windows key + write "allow a program through windows firewall"
                  2) Click the button "Allow another program"
                  3) Click "Browse" and navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer2\HomeSeerService.exe"

This solved my problem instantly while maintaining an otherwise uncompromized level of security.

Comment

Working...
                  X