This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon Support

In the software comparison chart, HSPRO indicates "YES" it supports Insteon. Further, modules to support, for example, windows media player cost extra for the non pro version.

This gives the illusion that insteon support is included in the very expensive $600 hspro price when, in fact, its not really. I just discovered that i have to spend another $50 to upgrade to the latest version of the insteon plm!

When i made my purchase decision to buy HSPRO, it was with the understanding it would support the basic technology i was purchasing hspro to support: namely zwave and insteon.Nowhere is it mentioned that if you want the latest software support, insteon costs an additional $50. This is deceptive advertising.

Homeseer needs to fill the plug in module columns with the plug in module prices and not "YES" - let buyers see for themselves that an already very expensive program will get even more expensive down the road.

I, for one, can tell you I would never have bought hspro if i knew there were hidden future support costs because I felt the $600 price was already pushing the boundary of reasonableness - and after having used it for a year, i can certainly say so.

Given that the insteon plug in module product page states in bold letters that the plug in is NOT free to HS PRO users, I suspect I'm not the first person to have been misled...the problem is this warning is on the wrong product page. If you are misled into thinking the plug in is included in hspro, there's no reason to ever look at the plug in product page....until something doesn't work...
    Last edited by ; March 13, 2011, 10:23 AM.

Originally posted by scubaguyjohn View Post
    In the software comparison chart, HSPRO indicates "YES" it supports Insteon. Further, modules to support, for example, windows media player cost extra for the non pro version.

This gives the illusion that insteon support is included in the very expensive $600 hspro price when, in fact, its not really. I just discovered that i have to spend another $50 to upgrade to the latest version of the insteon plm!

When i made my purchase decision to buy HSPRO, it was with the understanding it would support the basic technology i was purchasing hspro to support: namely zwave and insteon.Nowhere is it mentioned that if you want the latest software support, insteon costs an additional $50. This is deceptive advertising.

Homeseer needs to fill the plug in module columns with the plug in module prices and not "YES" - let buyers see for themselves that an already very expensive program will get even more expensive down the road.

I, for one, can tell you I would never have bought hspro if i knew there were hidden future support costs because I felt the $600 price was already pushing the boundary of reasonableness - and after having used it for a year, i can certainly say so.

Given that the insteon plug in module product page states in bold letters that the plug in is NOT free to HS PRO users, I suspect I'm not the first person to have been misled...the problem is this warning is on the wrong product page. If you are misled into thinking the plug in is included in hspro, there's no reason to ever look at the plug in product page....until something doesn't work...
    I called this post to Marks attention.
    Last edited by Rupp; March 14, 2011, 06:32 AM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

thanks for the fast reply...however, I don't believe I or other HSPRO purchasers should have to pay for this plug in just because Homeseer decided to use a free (to them I presume) development resource and to shift that cost burden to me, the consumer.

You should grandfather the upgrades for those of us who made good faith purchase decisions based on the perception you created that the plug in is indeed included at no cost.

I will guarantee you that HSPRO sales would be substantially less if you start shifting all the "mainstream" plug in work to freelance developers and start listing prices for each of those plug ins - which then adds even more cost to the total HSPRO price. Heck, this one plug in would add over 25% to the base HS price and nearly 10% to the HSPRO price...there's no way the HS price can take a 25% price increase for one mainstream plug in!

Here's Homeseer's chance to do the right thing ....
      Last edited by ; March 13, 2011, 11:12 AM.

Comment

The PLC and PLM plug-ins that were authored by HomeSeer are still available and are still included with HSPRO at no cost. You can find them in the updater in the "Lighting Control Plug-ins" section. I just double-checked, to be sure.

The paid Insteon plug-in is a 3rd party plug-in, based on our original code and under development by Mark Sandler. Mark is solely responsible for the development AND SUPPORT of this plug-in. Mark does not work for us. 3rd party plug-ins are not (and have never been) included with HSPRO.

Comment

thanks Mark - what's the difference between a plc or plm plug in and the insteon plug in by Mark?

Are the plc and plm plug ins being updated by Homeseer on an ongoing basis?

Comment

thanks Mark - what's the difference between a plc or plm plug in and the insteon plug in by Mark?

Are the plc and plm plug ins being updated by Homeseer on an ongoing basis?
            Mark is adding support for the latest devices and keeping current with changes in the protocol. He would be the best resource for explaining the enhanced features of his plug-in; I honestly don't know what the specific differences are.

No updates are planned for our own PLC and PLM plug-ins at this time.

Comment

so what you are saying is that you've abandoned internal support for insteon and are requiring customers to buy Mark's insteon plug in when Homeseer's internally developed plug ins have bugs or don't support insteon product offerings?
              Last edited by ; March 14, 2011, 11:14 AM.

Comment

so what you are saying is that you've abandoned internal support for insteon and are requiring customers to buy Mark's insteon plug in when your internal plug ins have bugs or don't support insteon product offerings?
                Here's what I am saying (and what has already been said in previous posts):

The HomeSeer-authored PLC and PLM plug-ins are free to all HS2 and HSPRO users. If they work for you, use them. If not, you have two other options. Mark has done a great deal of work on his plug-in and users of it appear to be very happy with his work. Alternately, there is also a plug-in for using HS2 or HSPRO with the ISY controller.

So, there are four (4) plug-in options available for Insteon; two are free, two are paid options.

Comment

does the homeseer plm support the insteon motion detector? or the insteon thermostats?

I'm sure Mark has done a great deal of work, which is even more disconcerting to me as it indicates the "free" versions aren't good or current solutions.

Comment

While you are focusing on Insteon, the same applies for many of the plugins that are available for Homeseer. Typically HST will provide a basic plugin, but if you want features that exploit a specific interface then you will want to look for 3rd party providers.

This model is not unique to HST, but pretty common in the industry. Look at how many companies came into existance because Microsoft only provided basic capabilities in the extension and use of their Window OS and entrepeneurs siezed a market opportunity.

If you had been on the boards when Insteon came into existance you will see that the technology was prematurely introduced and HST spent many dollars chasing problems with Smarthome technology. At some point one needs to cut their losses. Their business was not helping Smarthome debug their Insteon technology, but in providing a HA software engine. HST provided a very responsible solution to their customers with multiple options available.

Comment

Working...
                    X