Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Understanding Leviton RF+

Hi Guys

We sold our house recently and hoping to complete negotions on a new place soon. I'm starting to plan my home automation (lighting and garage door control initially)

I've read a ton about z-wave and esp. Leviton, but still ocnfused about the need for a neutral and--while trying to get to the bottom of this--got confused about the 4-scene dimmers.

Neutral
    Many of the leviton products (such as this: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10024Load Control
    I understand baout load control (ratings, types of loads, etc.). However I'm puzzled as to where I'd install my 4-scene controller. I was originally thinking that it replaces and existing light switch, but then realized that it does not control a load after reading this in the installation instructions:

"Vizia RF +VRCS4 controller does not control the load, but provides scene applications to operate with Vizia RF + dimmers/switches."

I realized I need to replace the light switch with a scene-capable dimmer (such as a VRI06-1LX), so would I just make the single gang outlet a double gang and install the scene controller next to it?

If I don't have neutrals at the light switches, does that mean there are no neutrals in the house? (I'm English, so still trying to figure out american wiring - in UK we have live, neurtral and earth - all outlets have live an neutral.)

If there is neutrals in the house, can I just run a new wire from fuse box to the location of my controller?

Thanks in advance

mark

P.S. Can anyone recommend a good book on US home wiring?

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W
Working...
X