Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Computer Monitors

Hi All,

Wanted to ask for input of experiences with new computer monitiors.

Have a 24" 1080p that I have been using for 4 years now and wanted to add a 2nd monitor for my principal desktop.

As age grows, so does the weakness of my eyesight. Simpley meaning soze and resolution are important.

I see these ISP monitors as well many others. Whats "Choice" features to be looking at and whats just a waste of $$?

Thanks
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

I like the multi monitor wide view footprint for my home office here.

That said I still use an old HP L 1725. I don't know anymore when I bought it; that said its still works fine for me.

Recently have been updating monitors with Asus. I am on number 4 today. The oldest one is running fine at 2 years. That said I updated my sister in laws older HP desktop and generic LCD with an SFF Asus and Asus monitor.

Not really promoting Asus; rather just stating what I have here.
    Last edited by Pete; January 18, 2014, 12:55 AM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks Pete.

Speaking of Asus I was looking at this whicj just happens to rank #1 --> http://www.amazon.com/Asus-VS247H-P-...ds=ips+monitor

For the last 4 years I have been running two 24" Philips 1080p monitors. They were on sale @ tiger and I bought them without even looking into them. Had them set up in dual monitor and love the convenience of multi taking.

Over the last weeks I re-purposed one for my server, so I took a 32" LCD 720p from the guest room and used that but it was terrible. You could count the number of pixels when sitting at the desk.

With that experience of the 32", I dont want to make a regretful choice picking a new larger monitor. I would like 27"-32" and have a GPU to support upto 6 monitors ( AMD HD 6970 ). Originally it was my intent to use that GPU for gaming but I got into this addictive thing called Home Automation. LOL>

Anyways, What I question right now is since I want bump upto a 27-32" primary montitor, are if features like IPS or high Resulation such as 2560x1440 worth it for normal use when sitting less than 2 foot from the screen.

Thanks
      PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
      HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

I got one of these a couple of months ago as a second monitor -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like it.

My eyes are also getting older and I am starting to have a little trouble with close up work.

I did notice yesterday how much clearer things are when I move items from my primary monitor which is a 5 year old dell 21", I am just waiting for the old monitor to die and I will probably replace it with another one of these 24" monitors. Maybe I should spill some coffee on it to try to accelerate the process

Comment

Yup; the multimonitor set up uses almost the entire desk.

off on a tangent...

Its an old large office desk (antique) from the 1920's. Lots of nooks and crannies. It was redone sometime in the 40's as the couple that redid the desk wrote their names under a drawer with the date. Then it was redone again in the late 1970's by an older vet with one leg whom was into redoing furniture.

I like the older HP pivotal mounting brackets such that I refitted the Asus monitor to the older HP pivotal brackets which were built even better than the monitors. Stock the Asus monitors did come with three cables; VGA, DVI and HDMI. They 27" (think? don't recall). I do also utilize the almost 40" LCD TV in the office sometimes as another computer monitor; but mostly to play with. I installed this LCD a couple of years ago. I ran LV to the top part of the wall and added HV to it. Mostly it was a PITA to install cuz I had to climb a ladder and slide it down on a pivotal wall mount; kind of awkward; but very sturdy. I do today use it with a little XBMC box. It is also connected to the OTA HD stuff plus a rebroadcast of two house channels.

Downstairs on the rack I use two Phillips monitors; these came from a bank downtown and were new as the bank (EU) was sold right before the monitors were installed. Best deal on these as they were free in unopened boxes. Before the Phillips LCD monitors I was using Phillips CRT monitors for a long time (again from the bank stuff).
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

If you're running a CAD package you may want to consider a 4K monitor. The CAD will allow you to easily zoom in and out to match your eyesight requirements, and it's faster than scrolling around a lower resolution window. I wish that type of zooming were standard in a desktop GUI...
            Last edited by NeverDie; January 19, 2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Optical Fluid?? Sounds like engineered Beer Goggles to me. Lol. Sorry, couldn't help myself but yes if I wear glasses that help with most all.

I went ahead a bought the above 27" Asus IPS monitor. I wish it had a higher resolution than 1080p beijg i sit so close, but seems the prices for those were just to high. Good part is Amazon will pay return shipping and 100% refund if it doesn't meet my expectations.

I'll report back my thoughts of this IPS but really not sure if I even know what to look for. I'll have a side by side comparison of my current 24" Phillips.

Comment

Late to the game as usual....

FWIW now..... I'd determine the maximum physical dimensions you can comfortably use on your desk and then get monitors with the highest resolution possible in the dimension. I'm running dual 24" ASUS monitors at 1920x1080 and wish I had gone bigger. If/when these fail, I'll trade up. However, these replaced dual 20" IBM P200's that still worked great after 16 years of service!

Comment

So I've been working with the new 27" for over a week now.

Originally I was going to move one of the 24" monitors to the server but now I an running all three monitors on my workstation.

Looks like 24" - 27" - 24". This was one of the main reasons I bought such a large video card as well 3D. Its too bad it took me 3.5 years to get the 3rd monitor.

Sizing with 27" is great. There's a approx 1" size distance on the tops and bottoms when you transition from the 27" to the 24". Its not bothersome at all and I made adjustments for it in the setup.

What is noticeably different is the width more than the height. Obviously this results in more desktop.

I'm sold on the size but this Asus model is not an LED screen. Its a LED back lite LCD screen (goota love marketing tricks) and the brightness is intense. To make the screen viewable I had to turn brightness all the way down and adjust contrast.

Sold on the size but I might look back to see if 3D affordable or even if I'll use 3D at my office desk.

CharlieWayne

Comment

Working...
                  X