www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area > Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System)

Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System) Are you migrating from another system to HomeSeer? Use this forum to connect with others who've done the same thing!

Old May 25th, 2016, 08:36 AM
Seer Master

I think I read somewhere not to copy .lf files, but to rather reinstall plugins ?
Old May 25th, 2016, 09:40 AM
Super Seer

I am not sure about that, but I know what I listed has always worked when moving to a new machine.

Also do the same when restoring from backups. I have the HS folder backed up completely each night and to restore just copy over what I already have.

Plugins have never been an issue with this either.
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Seer Master

so.... assuming I didn't want to run both vera and HS at the same time ... could I :

could I just add HS as a secondary to Vera and have it pick up all the devices.

then transfer HS to primary, and turn off the Vera?
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:28 AM
Seer Master

I did that when I left Vera 1. :-)
Old November 17th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Seer Deluxe

Yes, you can,

See the thread below, However, you will need to modify the process to align to HS3 menu and options.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175130
Old November 17th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Seer Master

thanks... read through that, but definitely needs some updating. so posting what i have found so far.

From someone on the Vera forums, this was the step to add HS :

You add the secondary controller to the primary one as if it's just another zwave device.

On the vera, click on add device and select the method, then in the homeseer menu, go to plugins, zwave and controller management. (assuming you already created the new interface for the stick), click on the actions pull down menu and select receive from another network. Keep the two devices close for a couple of minutes and it should add as a secondary controller and download all the device info.

in reading this, sounds like HS becomes the secondary (i'm too chicken to try this yet).

if so, in the vera UI5 settings under add device/advances, there is also the option to add "vera to another zwave network". also Controller shift.

Anyone with more courage than i try this?
Old November 18th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Seer Deluxe

The alternative it can all be done in Vera before moving to HS...

Backup and then change z-wave device to the USB and then restore.

Then of course you turn of Vera and plug the USB device into HS, import devices and Bobs your uncle.
Old November 18th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Seer Deluxe

By the way, yes I did do both the above when I returned to HS as I wanted to get some of the Vera plugins ongoing. I later switched it off.

You are quite safe as Vera back up can be restored very easily and homeseer has granular control over deletions of devices and the z-wave networks
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:06 AM
Seer Master

@brientim

that Bob... always so helpful!

so... just so I don't screw this up. Mostly since I already have started a very minor conversion of a few of my devices over manually. Do I:

1. make vera backup (including zwave network)
2. pull the zwave stick from HS and insert into Vera
3. somehow include the stick? is the controller shift, or "add vera to another network???
4.Restore backup. Is there a step 3.5 where I reset? otherwise, wouldn't my devices still be there and I wouldn't need the restore?
5. Shut down vera, pull USB and insert into HS
6. Import devices through zwave config menu.
7. and i'm good to go? does it bring rooms over, or do I have to go through each and set that up?

and, since i'm really asking some questions here....

1. do I keep the USB setup on the HS before all this, or start from scratch, and then add that as a new zwave controller?
2. sounds like no gotchas. assume I can run an optimization if I want it to rethink my mesh paths (or even necessary).
3. I also got a znet yesterday. any better reason to use this (with or instead of zwave stick)
4. and lastly (for now :-) ), i'm finding a few devices not yet supported in Imperhome, like RGB support. If I want to leave them on Vera for now... this method sounds like it might be a mistake, as if I turn Vera back on, I've got duplicate systems running? Seems like you did this as well... so just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

Thanks so much !!!!
Old November 18th, 2016, 02:30 PM
Seer Deluxe

The changes to your processes are as follows:

3. You change the Vera settings to use the external USB instead of the internal... you will need to determine the USB port and for each of the Vera variants this has been different.

Then restore including the z-wave network as this would then set the z-wave network up on the z-stick. Note: when you restore the Vera will be configured to look at the internal z-ZWave.

Two way you can try to find the USB info is to SSH and the ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Or via LUCI
http://Vera_ip/cgi-bin/webif/info.sh

Other info you may find helpful if the above is not successful
https://m.reddit.com/r/homeautomatio...t&compact=true

7. No rooms, just devices. The z-wave stick only contains info on the z-wave network all of the rest of the info reside on the Vera itself. From the interface you can select multiple devices and move and create rooms as you go.

@@@@
1. No, you delete the z-wave from HS as it will have a new z-wave network info that needs to be added.

3. Correct. This is very important. Battery devices need to be awake too. You can verify info from menu z-wave > node information

3. That will depend on your own situation and you now have flexibility to divide and conquer.

4. You can manage that two way. But you'll need to determine the most appropriate as RGB management will depend on the device itself

A. Reset Vera z-wave network and this remove one of your issues and any conflict albeit perceived or real. Problem gone!

B. Vera integration with ImperiHome is fast and the new beta, ImperiHome and Vera beta is suppose to make that faster

They are various options in the HS plugin to expose controls but as HS manages things differently, post questions on the ImperiHome thread and see what comes back.
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:33 AM
Seer Master

@Tomgru and @brientim

Did you guys do this successfully?

I want to migrate all my Zwave devices to my Smartstick+ this week and just want to make sure I have the steps down - Tom, can you update your steps with exactly what you did that worked?

thx!
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:35 AM
Seer Deluxe

I did it this way and also via a controller shift. Both were successful
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brientim View Post
I did it this way and also via a controller shift. Both were successful
Which one do you recommend? What is the advantage of one vs the other?

I have a TON of logic in PLEG and it will take me a 20-30 hours to replicate in HS... more if I need to script things like sequences that look to be WAY more difficult in HS. (e.g. probably a few weeks in real time)

thanks... I'm looking forward to the stability of HS, but the pain to get there - not so much
Old May 14th, 2017, 12:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

You can add HS as a secondary controller which enables you to maintain vera operational and bit by bit transfers from Vera to homeseer. Once your familiar with Homeseer events, it does take long at all; remembering you can copy events in Homeseer
Old May 14th, 2017, 02:24 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
You can add HS as a secondary controller which enables you to maintain vera operational and bit by bit transfers from Vera to homeseer. Once your familiar with Homeseer events, it does take long at all; remembering you can copy events in Homeseer
I read over this page... https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1021471

... it is outdated, not accurate for Vera UI7 or HS3.

I just documented the process and will post in new thread in the next day or so after I ensure there are no gotchas I run into
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:35 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltek View Post
@Tomgru and @brientim

Did you guys do this successfully?

I want to migrate all my Zwave devices to my Smartstick+ this week and just want to make sure I have the steps down - Tom, can you update your steps with exactly what you did that worked?

thx!
In the end, I didn't actually. I wanted to learn HS from scratch, so I just excluded included room by room and kept both running until I had them all moved over. then I created all my events over a few weeks.

The android app for exclusion/inclusion is great... you can just sit in a room with your phone, and right in the app you can name the room and type. ANd the key here is that it's so much faster than Vera was... you aren't restarting the system every time.

I really wanted to start with a clean system, and learn HS from the ground up.
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:41 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I imported all my devices from Vera (primary) to HS3 (secondary). They all imported and when I wake then created child devices as expected.

My two Schlage door locks, GE & Aeon appliance switches, GE wall switch, Fibaro & Monoprice multi motions work fine (except battery level does not show on motions)

BUT all Schlage brand door and motion sensors (8 total) do not show any status (trips). Rescan works fine - log below of recan of Node 20 motion sensor...

Quote:
May-16 7:36:47 PM Z-Wave 3 out of 3 Child devices of node 20 were created successfully.
May-16 7:36:47 PM Z-Wave Setting a polling interval of 20 Minutes, 18 Seconds on device Node 20 Z-Wave Sensor Binary Reserved
May-16 7:36:47 PM Z-Wave Setting a polling interval of 20 Minutes, 14 Seconds on device Node 20 Z-Wave Home Security
May-16 7:36:47 PM Z-Wave Enabling instant status for Schlage motion device Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion (20)
May-16 7:36:46 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 65 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:45 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 53 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:43 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 65 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:42 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 53 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:29 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:28 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 65 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave Assigning return route from node 53 to Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave SmartStick: Adding association for Z-Wave device Node 20 Z-Wave Office Motion (Node 20, Group 1) to HomeSeer
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave Node 20 supports the Wake-Up Command Class Version 2 - Capabilities were retrieved successfully.
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave All associations for node 20 have been retrieved successfully, it supports associations on these groups: 1, 2.
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave Node 20 Association Group 2 can have 3 associations, and currently has 2
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave Node 20 Association Group 1 can have 1 associations, and currently has 1
May-16 7:36:26 PM Z-Wave Getting association information for node 20
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Node 20 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 3.4 App: 2.0
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Node: 20 Controls Class(es): MARK, BASIC
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Node: 20 Supports Class(es): SENSOR_BINARY_V2, ALARM_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, VERSION_V2, ASSOCIATION, WAKE_UP, BATTERY, CONFIGURATION
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Found 31 Z-Wave nodes
May-16 7:36:25 PM Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave node list for network 016B847C...
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:49 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
I imported all my devices from Vera (primary) to HS3 (secondary). They all imported and when I wake then created child devices as expected.

My two Schlage door locks, GE & Aeon appliance switches, GE wall switch, Fibaro & Monoprice multi motions work fine (except battery level does not show on motions)

BUT all Schlage brand door and motion sensors (8 total) do not show any status (trips). Rescan works fine - log below of recan of Node 20 motion sensor...
Have you confirmed if the associations are set? One of the associations should be to HomeSeer (typically Group 1, but it could be another group based on the device).
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old May 16th, 2017, 09:56 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
Have you confirmed if the associations are set? One of the associations should be to HomeSeer (typically Group 1, but it could be another group based on the device).
My Monoprice Multi does have Homeseer in Group 1, and that device is working fine.

Yes, I had to manually set the associations on most of them. Most devices will only put Homeseer in Group 2, even if I select Group 1 during the add. M
With one Schlage motion, I deleted Vera from Group 2 - status still worked in Vera, not in Homeseer.

All the Schlage motions & door devices look like this...

Group 1:
Node 53 Z-Wave Vera Static Controller (ID: 53)

Group 2:
HomeSeer (ID: 65)
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:10 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
My Monoprice Multi does have Homeseer in Group 1, and that device is working fine.

Yes, I had to manually set the associations on most of them. Most devices will only put Homeseer in Group 2, even if I select Group 1 during the add. M
With one Schlage motion, I deleted Vera from Group 2 - status still worked in Vera, not in Homeseer.

All the Schlage motions & door devices look like this...

Group 1:

Group 2:
HomeSeer (ID: 65)
You may only be able to associate a single device on Group 1 on some devices. If you remove the Vera from Group 1 and add HS, does it work properly then?