Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using one of the LG multiclient monitors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using one of the LG multiclient monitors?

I am redoing my home office to make a small escape for the wife and myself as well as a guest room and to accomplish this, I am downsizing my home office to fit in a small walk in closet (4' x 5.5'). I'm not 100% sure that will work, but I'm at a point where I feel like my possessions own me instead of me owning them.

Anyways, bask story aside, there is no way my current 3 monitor set up (2 -24" and 1- 27") will work in there. I currently have 2 laptops. Work and Home both connected to docks and both set up in dual monitor mode (I have a KVM to switch the center 27" monitor back and forth). When the Dell multi-client monitor was released (http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/...or-accessories) I was really intrigued but felt it was limited a bit pricey. I've since found the LG multi client monitors and they have some interesting features:
    • 4 HDMI inputs (2 hdmi 2.0, 2 hdmi 1.4) and 1 Displayport 1.2a input and 1 usbc input which can support a display link signal
    • has multiple PiP and PbP including a 4 display mode (4 1080p screens in a grid)
    • remote control (Harmony Hub integration?)
    • RS-232 control
    • built in speakers

I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with either of them (LG 43ud79-b or 43MU79-B - same monitory, one consumer 1yr warranty, the other enterprise - 3yr warranty). I don't currently have a computer that can display 4k, but my main use would be as a quad monitor in my tight space. My only wish is if it were curved as I feel curved monitors actually have a benefit unlike curved TVs.

(I'm including an image of my design idea so people can tell me I'm crazy for moving my office to a closet...LOL)
    Attached Files

Whoa Nelly! I have been considering reworking my desk area too. I have 2 systems, laptop and HS3/BI4 server, that I need to access. Two monitors is not what I want or can handle space wise. I had seen the wide monitors that can do multiple screens but after I looked closer, they only did it from one source computer. Wouldn't work for my application so I put the notion aside. I never ran across these 'multiclient' monitors in my past research. Thank you so much for bringing these to my attention. I'll resume my research. Both of my systems are windows (one 8.1 and one 10).

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
      Whoa Nelly! I have been considering reworking my desk area too. I have 2 systems, laptop and HS3/BI4 server, that I need to access. Two monitors is not what I want or can handle space wise. I had seen the wide monitors that can do multiple screens but after I looked closer, they only did it from one source computer. Wouldn't work for my application so I put the notion aside. I never ran across these 'multiclient' monitors in my past research. Thank you so much for bringing these to my attention. I'll resume my research. Both of my systems are windows (one 8.1 and one 10).
      I got and it should be here this week. I'll let you know how it goes. None of my laptops will do 4k, but I did find a USB3 -> DisplayPort (there is an HDMI version as well) that will do 4k@60hz, so I may try that just for S&Gs. My intent though is to use it as a bezel-less 4 way display with each one at 1080p.

Comment

I haven't looked into the LG's, but read good reviews about the dell 43 multi client.

Comment

Originally posted by djsaad1 View Post
          I haven't looked into the LG's, but read good reviews about the dell 43 multi client.
          Yeah, unfortunately it was $300 more and had limited inputs. I liked that the LG had 4 HDMI inputs (2 hdmi 2.0, 2 hdmi 1.4) and then still has another 1 DP input.

Also, the LG has a remote which I plan to use with a Harmony hub to somewhat automate it (I'm also going to look into using it's RS232 port to automate it).

Comment

I've used the LG 34" curved, and I have dell 38" curved on my desk at work.

At home I'm using a 40" samsung 4k TV.

Any way I do it, I still want more than one screen. It's never enough.
            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmer62 View Post
              I've used the LG 34" curved, and I have dell 38" curved on my desk at work.

At home I'm using a 40" samsung 4k TV.

Any way I do it, I still want more than one screen. It's never enough.
              Are all of those 4k or just the TV? When using he TV do you use scaling in windows to increase the size of everything?

My plan would make it appear to be 4 22" 1080p screens (from 2 computers). I currently use 2 24" and a 27", so it should be close in size and pixel density of the 2 24" Dells I have.

Either way. It arrived today and non of my laptops will push 4k, so there is no option of multiple monitors Though I have considered keeping the 2 24" dells and running them in portrait on either side, but I think that just might be silly (and those are my two hottest monitors as they are from 2006 and are not LED backlit)

Comment

Only the TV is 4k. I do scale a little bit, I can't remember off hand how much.

The 38" dell is my favorite. When using the LG with the multi source input, it felt more like a 4:3 screen... and again wasn't enough. When using the LG, I used a 13" laptop under the main screen, so I still had two monitors, but it was up and down instead of left and right. I actually don't mind doing that at all. Stuff like slack or documentation ends up on the small screen and I just move windows if I need it bigger.

Heat in the closet is a good consideration... old monitors do get pretty warm.
                Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Where do you see 'RS232 control' on that monitor?

Seems like a bit of a throwback...

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
                    Where do you see 'RS232 control' on that monitor?

Seems like a bit of a throwback...
                    You can see it in this picture here (it's next to the power input second from the left)

Edit: It's also listed in the specs and the manual has all the specs for communicating to it over RS232. It even comes with an adapter. I plan on trying to control it via an arduino as the RS232 I think will offer better control than using the remote (for instance via the Harmony Hub)

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                      Are all of those 4k or just the TV? When using he TV do you use scaling in windows to increase the size of everything?

My plan would make it appear to be 4 22" 1080p screens (from 2 computers). I currently use 2 24" and a 27", so it should be close in size and pixel density of the 2 24" Dells I have.

Either way. It arrived today and non of my laptops will push 4k, so there is no option of multiple monitors Though I have considered keeping the 2 24" dells and running them in portrait on either side, but I think that just might be silly (and those are my two hottest monitors as they are from 2006 and are not LED backlit)
                      I'm on it right now. ONe thing I really wish was that it was curved. I could really see the benefit of that right now. I'll attach an image of it on my desk. Only personal laptop is on, which is why the bottom half is black. Normally all 4 would be on. In the front is a quarter pounder with cheese for size comparison. Still, the pictures I've taken just don't really show how large it is sitting in front of it.

On a side note, though they would be 21.5" screens, they do feel significantly smaller than the 24" monitors that were there before. I'm also going to miss having 1 big screen in the middle, but ultimately I'm going to replace my personal laptop with one that will do 4k so I can always just make that one full screen (currently any of them can be full screen, but display at 1080p).

About the ventilation in the closet. My brother said the same thing. I'm going to be removing the door completely and I will likely put a room to room fan above the door to pull hot air out of the top of the closet.

(note the keyboard pad isn't "dirty". My cat uses it as scratching pad and it now has all these white little tuffs. Still better than the bare desk though).
                      Attached Files

Comment

so after using a bit last night and this morning, I can honestly say I think they should have curved this. Looking to the sides I can feel my eyes changing focus quite a bit. I did find that angling it down a bit helps ,but the top corners till seem so far away.

Another thing I miss is being able to put my work right dab in the center. I'm looking at a 4k USB3 adapter for one of the machines to test out. if that works, I may get one for each laptop.

The good thing is I can totally see using this as a single monitor at 4k. with 4 1080p screens, I don't feel the need to use windows scaling to increase the size of anything. It's all pretty much perfect.

I am also definitely going to be looking into a solution for the rs232. I'm thinking arduino and connect that to homeseer in some way. it should be cheap enough to at least test out. I think I can more quickly change the layout of the screens that way.

Another thing I want to do once I get the 4k adapter is find a way to easily switch the computers from single monitor 4k mode to dual monitor 1080p mode without having to have all those "displays" active at once. I've found a few solutions already, but haven't tested them yet. I will once I get the 4k adapter in.

I'll keep updating this thread in case anyone finds this interesting

Comment

cheeryfool

Comment

I think if I was keeping a wide(ish) desk, that might have been optimal and probably easier to use. Sounds like an awesome setup. Want to share a pic?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                              I think if I was keeping a wide(ish) desk, that might have been optimal and probably easier to use. Sounds like an awesome setup. Want to share a pic?
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
                              X