Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-net remote home cannot connect to port

Getting this error:

Cannot connect to Z-Wave Ethernet at IP 172.16.x.xxx port: 2001, Ex=A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 172.16.x.xxx:2001

Recently purchased z-net that has worked in the past with same configuration. However, getting the above errors with no ability to remedy. Rebooted znet by hitting submit button on net interface; turned zwave module on and off via HS; tried clicking the disabled button for znet device within zwave module page; all with no luck.

Connecting to z-net via vpn to second physical location.

I CAN access the z-net device by entering the IP address (with no port denoted). However, when I attempt to ping the ip address with the port included; the device cannot be found.

Firmware version is 1.0.23.

znet connecting to second location internet via wifi with static IP address.

Any help appreciated.

This error message likely indicates one of two things:
    (1) the device at the specified IP address is unreachable from the HS3 system;
    (2) the z-net device is misconfigured such that a required daemon process (ser2net) is not running.

If the z-net was working and has not been reconfigured (such as application of a firmware update), (2) is unlikely.

You indicated you can "access the z-net device by entering the IP address (with no port denoted). However, when I attempt to ping the ip address with the port included; the device cannot be found." This is understandable; you don't ping ports, only addresses. This latter command will not work even in the best of times.

Suggestions
    (1) Go to http://find.homeseer.com and perform a search. The HS3 system and the z-net should both be reported. If not, we will need to understand why and repair if necessary. If the z-net is reported, verify the reported IP address matches what you have configured in the plugin.
    (2) For the ping operation discussed above, did you perform the ping from the HS3 machine, or from another machine (such as a desktop computer)? If you are able to ping the z-net from the HS3 machine, we may have to investigate possibility (2) above.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Finally was able to get to the second location to see if was Z-net or something else. A combination of events caused the problem but in the end it turned out to be a DNS issue on my windows server 2012 R2 machine where HS3 is installed that prevented HS3 from hitting the Z-net. In troubleshooting the issue, I also discovered that sometimes it takes a couple power up and power downs to get z-net up and running. I will need to attach a battery to the z-net to avoid further issues in the event of a power loss in the second location.

Final result is that I have z-wave, serial UPB and RF working in a remote location and effectively controlling 2 locations on one HS3 instance.

Comment

Working...
      X