X10 Extended Dimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X10 Extended Dimming

Has anyone got X10 extended dimming working in HS3? I am trying to use it to control X10 wall switches. I have set it up with the house and unit code on the device X10 tab and selected "extended". This worked fine in HS2. Maybe it is still a work in progress for the X10 plug-in.

Originally posted by prnorton View Post
    Has anyone got X10 extended dimming working in HS3? I am trying to use it to control X10 wall switches. I have set it up with the house and unit code on the device X10 tab and selected "extended". This worked fine in HS2. Maybe it is still a work in progress for the X10 plug-in.

I am not understanding the choices. What is the difference between standard, preset, extended and appliances. I do understand appliances, but what is preset? Is this the one you use for motion detectors and stuff like that.
    And do you enter the unit code twice, once on the setup screen then on the x10 screen too?
    Then why is dimming automatically checked sometimes, and if you go back to uncheck it, it is light grey and you can not take it off. I have had to delete the unit and put it in again as a appliance module.
    Thanks to any help to understand this.
    danielbo

Comment

If you have an X10 device that is on/off only and doesn't do dimming, then you should set it up with the appliance option. That's left over from the X10 appliance module, which has a big (and loud) relay to turn appliances on and off.

Standard, preset, and extended are three different dimming protocols supported by X-10. If you have an original X-10 dimmer then it only supports standard dimming, which means that if the device is off and you want to dim it to 40% it will go to 100% on, then dim down to 40%. Not very pretty, but the modules were cheap.

Preset and extended are different ways for a module to dim directly to 40% without going to 100% first. If you have a module that supports one of those options then you should use it. If you don't know what your devices support, then try one and try to send it some dim commands and see if it works... as long as it works, then the option you selected is good.

Comment

Thank you, A big help.
        danielbo

Comment

I have those exact same questions about x-10 devices in HS3. Thanks for the reply to danielbo. Very helpful.

What about the other question about setting the "code" on both the first page and the last page?

Comment

FYI - we no longer have any hardware on hand that supports extended dimming, so it's not possible for us to test this now.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have created a device with adress A3, and i click on Is dimmable and Use pop-up dialog for control:

Where can i find the extended button?

In device management , i dont find DIM in control panel, only ON or OFF

I use the last HS3 version 3.0.0.9

Jean-francois.

Comment

You select the dimming type on the X10 tab on the device setup page. Select the dim type that works for you, although from the note above from Mark, "extended" is not working or being tested.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                  FYI - we no longer have any hardware on hand that supports extended dimming, so it's not possible for us to test this now.
                  Extended dimming is used by all X10 paddle-type wall switches manufactured in the past several years. I hope we can get that working again, or I will be changing out wall switches all over the house. I was told this type of dimming is a Leviton protocol, but not sure.

Comment

Looking for a few more answers.

I notice we had one more question that has not been answered yet. Why do you enter a unit code on the setup page, the click the x10 tab on the side and enter it again or am I doing something wrong. I am putting it in both places.

Then if you happen to make a mistake you can not go in and edit the dimming box. It turns to a light grey and you can not edit it. They only way to remove it is to delete the complete unit and enter it again. That is the only way you can get rid if the dimming control if you picked the wrong type of module, even if you go back and change the module to the right one, the dimming control stays. This is when you have to delete and recreate it. Just make sure you pick the right module the first time, I guess.
                    Thanks guys, for all the help with understanding X10 and HS3
                    danielbo

Comment

Originally posted by danielbo View Post
                      I notice we had one more question that has not been answered yet. Why do you enter a unit code on the setup page, the click the x10 tab on the side and enter it again or am I doing something wrong. I am putting it in both places.
                      The code section on the configuration page of each device is optional now (for non X-10 devices). In HS2 every device needed a house code and a unit code whether it was an X-10 device or not. Now it's an option.

If you're setting up a new X-10 device you can leave that section blank, then go to the X-10 tab and enter the house code and unit code there. That will get HS3 to save the device as an X-10 device and it will automatically populate the code section on the configuration page to match what you put in on the X-10 tab.

I'm not sure about the dimmable check box, but that sounds like a bug and should be reported on the bugzilla site.

Comment

Then if you happen to make a mistake you can not go in and edit the dimming box. It turns to a light grey and you can not edit it. They only way to remove it is to delete the complete unit and enter it again. That is the only way you can get rid if the dimming control if you picked the wrong type of module, even if you go back and change the module to the right one, the dimming control stays. This is when you have to delete and recreate it. Just make sure you pick the right module the first time, I guess.
                        Thanks guys, for all the help with understanding X10 and HS3
                        Dan - please turn these in to Bugzilla as bugs. thanks
                        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
                          Dan - please turn these in to Bugzilla as bugs. thanks
                          Having a hard time finding any threads called Bugzilla. Thanks you for your information on the other.
                          danielbo

Comment

Having a hard time finding any threads called Bugzilla. Thanks you for your information on the other.
                            It's here. You'll have to register if you haven't already.
                            http://helpdesk.homeseer.com/

Comment

http://www.homeseer.com/bugzilla/

This is the correct link

Comment

Working...
                              X