No announcement yet.

Which voice assistant poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally see the Amazon Echo as an at Home (great for automation) cloud developed intelligent personal assistant with a side a la carte use with smart phones.

Where as the rest were developed primarily for use with smart phones.

The bottleneck/dependency as mentioned above is related to the transport to the internet.

I prefer still right now the combination of going the direct route for at home automation (like using the Kinect with Microsoft SAPI) and the on and off switching of the Amazon Alexa application when needed (for Amazon services, Googling, etc). (IE: not having cloud dependencies for at home automation)
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have been working with VR ever since I discover HS. I have tried AP800 mic mixers with good cuality Mics and lots of training also the Kinect device with spud plugin. And to be honest, the accuracy of VR in the echo is outstanding, just for testing, I placed the echo in my bedroom and spoke a command from my living room to turn on my living room lights and it acknowledged the command with ease.(like 15ft away).

But it's very scary to known that Some one somewhere can listen in at your home.
      Last edited by Rotech; March 10, 2016, 12:20 PM.
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

It's only you talking to a machine talking to another machine. The more the machine hears the more it learns.

That said here due to WAF the Amazon Echo was moved behind furniture a few months back.

Lately here feeling a bit retro and found (disovered) there are buttons on the television that work by feel alone such that its use here is a new novelty and truly is pretty fast. (leaving the Logitech remote in its cradle these days - must be an age thing?)
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Infrastructure

A lot of infrastructure was put in place to create the cloud servers. The beancounters will insure that the investment is protected. Keeping us on the cloud hook is going to be the battle for the next few years.

That said there are advantages. If the communications between the cloud and your system are handled correctly the cloud service can be more secure since you shouldn't have to poke holes in your firewall. Plus you aren't repeatedly pinging a dynamic DNS service - something that the bad guys are sure to be watching to identify home network servers with internet exposed ports.

There is also the computing power to do some sort of AI although we have been using the Echo for several months now and I can't identify any improvements over time. Don't forget the theft/fire possibilities. If a burglar takes your surveillance DVR and cameras all your buddies will snicker. Video surveillance recordings are safer somewhere other than your home.

As far as the privacy concerns go that ship sailed a long time ago. If you have a cell phone then people can already track your location and listen in by remote commands. Even if the phone is turned off. We have been paying big dinero for the right to carry listening and tracking devices for years now. But that's just the government. They don't know nearly as much about us as Amazon and Google. Unless we earn special attention.

I sometimes wonder - was it planned out step by step for the past 30 years to get us here? Nah.

Comment

I would offer up a different approach

What if instead of integrating from another assistant HS stayed the focus and the entry point. If the speaker client was better with VR and the capability to choose to handle text it did not understand.

For instance I have seen a few apps integrate Dragon into their software to do VR. It is one of the best in my opinion, especially when you use a good mic. Another option is that dragon has a app for android and IOS that allows you to use your phone as a remote mic which is fast and accurate. It also has a great training process that i have seen improve it's accuracy. My understanding is that it can also handle multiple voice profiles which would be handy for something like home automation.

As a extra step if HS had the capabilities to better handle recognized text that does not match events etc there could be optional plug-ins to integrate with services like google maybe chatbots etc.

I have always wanted to go this direction because it puts me in control of what might go someplace in the cloud. I am not as much interested in being able to say "hello google" for everything. I am just interested in making HS easier, more accessible, and more powerful via VR.

Comment

Sadly integrating Dragon means also using the cloud. Dragon SDK is only available for iOS, android, WinPhone and as HTTP service. You can run it as a sandbox app with a limited number of request. Anything else or using it in a desktop app means moving a stack of dollars to Nuance
              - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
              HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
              PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Well that sucks

In the end I would say that if I had to pick a connected solution I would go with Amazon Echo. The hardware is great and reasonable. The VR is easily one of the best I have used. They are very actively improving the solution too and that makes things attractive. That said I think it would really need to be two way so it acts more like a speaker client versus the current 1 way integration.

On the 1 way front there is another VR connected option I have used that is pretty cool. If you go to api.ai you can create extensions for the assistant.ai app available on Android and IOS. I was pretty easily able to get that to run events and change devices status in HS3 by using URL commands and a asp page. Another nice part of this is the fact you can teach the assistant a lot pretty easily. I have mapped my family so it knows my brothers names and my kids etc so I can say something like send a message to my oldest brother and it knows who that is and can send them a message. The problems here is that the integration is again 1 way and week as I am just passing URLs and for security reasons that is only available on my private network. Also everything you do is public unless you pay A LOT of cash.

Comment

Hi

Sorry I am somewhat new to the Recognition and really want to dive into it?

For Echo
                  am I correct that you have to buy a device, and that there are two plugin's available. One by Spud and the other by HomeSeer?
                  Which is better? Do you have to call it Alexa, what happens if I want to call it another name?
                  Is it compatible on other devices, ie speaking into a tablet either ipad or android?

Cortana is a microsoft product which runs on my HS Server?
                  Is this currently supported by a plugin(s)?
                  Can this work by speaking into an android or apple tablet?

Siri
                  Do I need a product or can I use a plugin, and if so which plugin does this?
                  Is Siri only accessible from apple products, ie speaking into a samsung android tablet - will it work?

Google now?
                  Plugin(s)?
                  Speak through other tablet(s)?
                  Is hardware required?

Which is currently the easiest to configure? Is it Echo?

Which plugin's can be used with the Kinect?

Is the Echo best for across the room speaking, i.e walking into a room and saying "Lights On 50%" or is this still a SciFi dream?

Comment

Originally posted by smokeycoles View Post
                    Is the Echo best for across the room speaking, i.e walking into a room and saying "Lights On 50%" or is this still a SciFi dream?

Comment

I chose Google Home over Alexa for the exact same reasons.

I fire off a *bunch* of Homeseer events from Google Home though IFTTT to Homeseer, and it works GREAT. Typical response time is <3 seconds. Use it a dozen or more times a day, works perfectly every time... Is pretty awesome, and the first one took maybe 60 seconds to setup (I already had an IFTTT account, so that saved a few minutes).

If IFTTT ever adds the ability to perform multiple actions on one trigger, it will be even easier...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I have just added the Amazon Echo Tap to my family of Echos (the original echo and 2 echo dots). What a great device!!!!! I purchased it to use as a bluetooth speaker outside on my deck. The sound quality is very good and being portable really opens up a lot of home automation possibilities in places where power outlets are not readily available.

The new "Hands free" mode makes the Tap work just like the original echo but smaller and more flexible. Move it to wherever you need it, then return it to its charging base when you are done. Very, very impressive!

It is the perfect HS3 speaker client! I just need to figure out how to more easily pair/unpair to HS3.

I'm all in for Amazon VR products!

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

I voted for Echo as I have 3 of them and they work well, but if I have a choice I would not want the internet involved in my home automation.
                          Prefer my own servers and processing.

Comment

I've just got Amazon fire tv stick with Alexa.
                            I didn't buy it for the Alexa part but gave it a try with homeseer.
                            It's good. I'll buy a couple of dots I think.
                            I think the google home is maybe better for a brain but I think it looks rubbish. Also I have a complete Sonos setup so no need for speakers as such

Comment

Originally posted by Pete
                              Here still tinkering.

BUT long term goal though is not wanting to have automation dependencies on the Internet.

Recently have purchased a Samsung Smarthings hub and have that device integrated to my OmniPro 2 panel. The OmniPro 2 panel (almost as Homeseer) talk X10, UPB, Zigbee and Z-Wave. The Smarthings hub will talk and control the devices (as Homeseer does) connected to the OmniPro 2 panel. That said it also talks to devices that I cannot utilize with the OP2. Tested Amazon Echo integration with the Smarthings hub and it works fine.

SmartThings compatible devices: (note doing all of this today with OP2 and Homeseer) - just tinkering here.

Motion sensors
                              Presence sensors
                              Moisture sensors
                              Locks
                              Electrical outlets
                              Garage door openers
                              Speakers
                              Thermostats
                              Amazon Echo
                              Leviton OmniPro 2

On the Homeseer side still wanting to utilize the Kinect plugin (for VR/TTS) and touching on the Alexa plugin here (where I can turn it on or off).

Might integrate the Alexa TTS output to the zoned audio and use Amazon VR via BT or whatever local device.
                              Pete is So smart! He thinks just like me!! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X