What does HS say to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does HS say to you?

While I think I started a thread like this in years gone by there seems to be resurging interest in getting HS to talk what with all of this Alexa business and what not and I can't seem to find said hypothetical thread, thus, a new topic is born!

So what does HS say to you?

Here HS is probably a little more chatty than in other installations. I have a Russouond whole house audio system. Blade has a great plugin for it. That coupled with his great plugin BLSpeech allows pretty comprehensive and rich options for automating TTS. I couple this with Jeff's Random plugin which allows HS to speak a randomly selected phrase from any specified category. As a result I now have thousands of possible things HS can say to me. It's a good activity to sit around with friends, drinking beer on a Saturday night coming up with new phrases. An abridged lexicon follows:

BLSpeech allows you to select a .Wav to be played before the TTS so most announcements have one. Usually it's just a chime some good soul here gave my but it changes with the calendar. So for example in the weeks leading up to Halloween it will randomly (Thanks Jeff and Random plugin!) change to things like chains dragging, cats screeching, Bella Legosi samples and so on. Spooky stuff. A turkey gobble around Thanksgiving. Jingle bells around the birth of Santa. Get the idea?

Everyone gets a custom greeting when the come in the door determined by what PIN was entered at the lock. These are randomized. Usually it's just a simple greeting but here's what it said to my daughter when she came home last night: "So I decided to cross reference my schematic with the one on my positive gravity auger. The results are still being computed but it seems safe to say that there will be thirteen chickens on the coming full moon who are all wearing stylish pants with dapper and sharp manly shoes and have made positive contact with extraterrestrials. Quantum physics aside. Linus Pauling. is my hero and should be ready at any point to produce the kind of thing that leads one to a third Nobel Prize. As a side note: Christmas Rocks. Bam". At one point she complained that the messages weren't "intellectual" enough so I copied the entire Wikipedia entry for the word "intellectual" and it will occasionally read that to her.

If I have to work the next morning (as determined by my Google calendar and BLGData. Thanks Blade!) I get a reminder to go to bed 9 hours before I need to get up and if I stay up later than 7 hours until wakeup time (as determined by a bed occupancy sensor) I get some randomly selected nastieness from HS. Most announcements for me personally are sent to the main speakers in the house if I'm home, to my bedroom if I'm in bed, outside if I'm outside or to my phone if I'm away from home.

HS reminds me to plug my phone in when I get in bed. If I nap during the day it's a simple one time reminder. At night if I persist in not plugging it in eventually it plays some Star Trek like red alert, Klingons are attacking, warp core needs to be jettisoned noise and keeps bugging me.

In the morning on days when I have to work HS wakes me up by slowly turning my bedroom light up from 0 to 100% over 30 minutes. Then I get a polite reminder to get up. If I persist in sleeping I start to get louder and nastier reminders.

I turned the ringer off on the home phones and when I come home HS mutes the ringer on my cellphone. All incoming calls are announced with randomly chosen messages with the caller by name. This is customized to a degree by who is calling. So for example when my crazy space aliens, CIA, world government, alien body switching technology, etc. friend calls there is a whole slew of custom announcements and the preceding sound is a clip from the X0Files theme song. When I'm in bed I'm picky about which callers get to disturb my beauty rest.

At noon I get reminded to say prayers wherever I am, home or not. "What are you Islamic?". "Nope. You don't need to be Islamic to know that you take a break in the middle of the day!".

One hour before sunset on Friday I get a reminder that the Sabbath will begin in an hour wherever I am. "What are you Jewish?". Nope. You don't need to be Jewish to know that you don't work on the Sabbath!". I immediately pack up my things and head home.

HS plays Alice's restaurant on Thanksgiving, The Clancy Brothers on St. Patricks Day (on St. Patrick's day the preceding chime is replaced with the drunk leprechaun from the Simpsons!), The Misfits on Halloween, etc.

When there is a party here, as determined by any number of occupancy detection methods, a randomly selected quote of special interest is played wherever people are hanging out. When it's the kids (as determined by occupancy in their part of the house) the quotes are a little different.

HS will occasionally give me location notifications about my daughter if it differs from her calendar, but this is fading as she gets older. She's 17 now and doesn't get as much supervision as in years gone by. Also she drank my vodka. WTF? Went to make a bloody mary Friday night to no avail.

On the full moon HS howls at sunset and gives me a heads up.

If the exterior door is open when I get in bed I get a notification about that.

There's too much to list verbosely. The main points are:

The Random plugin really makes these announcements interesting. The same thing over and over again gets boring and annoying, FAST. Especially when your HS system talks as much as mine does. I understand that BLRandom might be more functional. I'm not sure as I started using the Random plugin when I got HS3 and it's so chock full of stuff I'd have no idea how to migrate if I wanted to.

The ability to have the announcements sent to different locations based on occupancy is good. As with most things HA, sensor density is key.

BLSpeech is for sophisticated people. The options are myriad. Check out Blade's youtube video on it.

What does HS say to you?
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

News Headlines
    Calendar Appointments @ 8PM
    I have a kitchen timer in HSTouch and it will tell me when the timer is finished
    Occasional Warnings - Doors left open, lights left on too long etc

I think there could be a market with a notification API, a lot of my messages are duplicated or even triplicated (TTS, Pushover & LAMetric message board) which makes for some events that are longer than they need to be - it'd be nice to have one action and decide on what to send on the basis of other factors...

Comment

Years ago I wrote a plugin for MSN Messenger which would speak the message or chat text. It was fun as I could get the text wherever I was in the house. It sucked when someone texted snippets of source code.
      HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Here due to mostly WAF the Homeseer chatty kathy stuff is mostly been turned down some from the early 2000's.

Weekly / daily routines are embedded (in my head) ...age thing these days....

Basics mostly here.

Outside after midnight triggers used to chat and now chime.
        Last edited by Pete; September 26, 2017, 07:32 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

My Speaking tasks;
          • Daily Morning weather report with todays predicted, followed with calendar events for the day
          • Personalized Door Open Announcement with time of day greeting and weather report.
          • Door Open/Closed/error locking report (in office)
          • Personalized Birthday/Anniversary Announcements with music
          • Camera Motion Announcement for remote areas of the exterior
          • CallerID announcements using UltraCID3
          • Weather warning Alert(s) announcement
          • Roomba bin full, battery low, stuck alerts and finished vacuuming announcements
          • Hourly ships bell with time (goes quite from 23:00-6:00)

@S-F you make mention of BLSPeech PI, not having familiarity with it what does it have over HS Speak Event/Scripts?

Also would you provide an example of how your utilizing both BLRandom and BLSpeech PI (screen shots)? Mike
          Computer: CUK Intel NUC7i7BNH
          Op System: Windows10 Pro - Work Station
          HS Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

BLSpeech allows you to create a dictionary of spelled words and modify how they are spoken, allows you to prepend the message with a sound file, it has beautiful integration with Russound systems allowing very granular control over how and where the message is played. I suggest you check out the youtube video Blade has about it.

I'm not using BLRandom as of now. I'm using CFGuy's Random plugin. It allows you to create named categories that you can fill up with any manor of text. In an event you call a category and one item from it will be spoken. You can also specify a category to be either prepended or appended to the category you have selected as well as the speaker client you wish to have speak. I have attached screenshots of one event using Random and one event showing one of the categories that comes with Random. Good stuff!
            Attached Files

Comment

Colin, Thanxs for sharing your example. I've installed CFGuy's Random plugin but I'm getting an error message when I try to establish a random event (see attachment) also when I attempt to do a edit against any of the categories I get a blank screen with error, but I'm able to Edit Phrases. I know that my post should be in CFGuys posts but.. if you can advise thanxs. Mike
              Attached Files

Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.25,APCUPSD 3.3.2.3,BLBackup 2.0.63.0,BLEditor 2.0.11.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLOccupied 2.0.28.0,BLShutdown 1.0.6.0,Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206,Device History 3.2.0.2,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,iRobot 5.22.41.1,JowiHue 4.0.8.7,Nest 3.0.0.34,NetCam Plugin 1.0.0.5,PHLocation2 3.0.0.64,Pushover 4.0.10.0,Random 3.0.0.2,Restart 1.0.0.7,Ring 1.0.0.9,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.3,Sonos 3.1.0.59,Sonos4 4.0.1.12,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,UltraMon3 3.0.6554.33094,UltraNetCam3 3.0.6413.20219,Unifi 4.0.32.0,Zigbee 4.0.11.0,Z-Wave 4.0.3.0, and Jon00 scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by MNB View Post
                Colin, Thanxs for sharing your example. I've installed CFGuy's Random plugin but I'm getting an error message when I try to establish a random event (see attachment) also when I attempt to do a edit against any of the categories I get a blank screen with error, but I'm able to Edit Phrases. I know that my post should be in CFGuys posts but.. if you can advise thanxs. Mike
                On the settings page, please set the Debug Level to High Level then attempt to edit a Category. Check the log and see if there any error messages. If you would open a thread in the Random forum and I will work with you to get this fixed.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone
                My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
                Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

I started out on MisterHouse back in 2003 and am just gearing up to get HS3 rolling. I used to have it toll out grandfather clock chimes during our awake time, so I have already got that going in HS. You almost break even on the license cost by not buying the big clock.

Looking into Homeseer automation software more as well as Alexa since they can work together. However, Alexa can only have 1 of 4 precoded names. I thought Gladiator would be a fun one.
                  "Gladiator, turn on all the flood lights. Also, kill any intruders."
                  The reply would need to come in Russell Crowe's voice. "I turned on the lights My Liege, but city ordinance prevents me from killing the intruders. My deepest apologies."

Comment

@thestosh you make mention of a grandfather clock sounds are you chiming/gonging in proper sequences for hourly chimes or are you doing quarterly chimes? When I was doing VERA I had a hourly grandfather clock but SWMBO didn't like it as it does take a little time to go through the chime and hourly gongs.

Question: I can not be the only person who is looking for various attention/alert sounds to use with speaking announcements, can we start to amass a collection of good sounding MP3/Wav sounds that folks are using so that the HS communities can use the same from a repository? does this forum have capability to store them? Mike

Comment

I have SHED LOADS of little sounds that I'm happy to share. Not sure if I can upload them here. I'll try with some of my Halloween ones in this post.

EDIT

Nope. Can't upload .wavs.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                        Nope. Can't upload .wavs.
                        Have you tried zipping them and uploading the .zip file?
                        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                          Have you tried zipping them and uploading the .zip file?

Huh. That works. It didn't accept a .rar though.

Attached are a few of my Halloween sounds.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some other sounds.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Colin, you da man! I'll take back my Russell Sound comment

Comment

Working...
                              X