www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area > Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System)

Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System) Are you migrating from another system to HomeSeer? Use this forum to connect with others who've done the same thing!

Old May 21st, 2016, 05:18 PM
Seer Master

Is there a Vera Alerts equivalent for HS ?

On Vera I used Vera ALerts app to send messages to my Android tablets and samrt phones. On the corresponding Vera Alerts app I could then see all my Vera system related messages, I had it send me updates when my thermostat changed temperature settings, or when TRV's had commands to change and when they actually changed. I also made it send tts commands to my wall mounted tablets to let me know heating and AC status for example. This was a very useful tool. Is there a way of recreating something like that ?
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:30 PM
OverSeer

Push notifications. Does basically the same thing as vera alerts. http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163974

It doesn't do TTS though which vera alerts does. I use the Tasker plugin for TTS.
Old May 21st, 2016, 05:37 PM
OverSeer

I don't think there's a direct equivalent, but HSTouch is the way I do things like this. In the simplest form, you could set a device string to the alert message(s), and have a field in HSTouch display the string.

There are more elegant solutions as well, but require additional design effort. The attached image is the idle screen for one of my tablets. The box that says Door Open is a button. Pressing it will bring up a graphic that displays the status of all the doors. (If there are no doors open, the box is invisible.) The mailbox at the bottom indicates that the mail has been delivered. There is also a field that displays alert messages (it's transparent because there is no message to display).

For urgent messages, I send a text message to my phone.
Attached Images

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old May 21st, 2016, 05:49 PM
Seer Master

I remeber I think I was tinkering with Pushover on Vera too before switching to Vera Alerts. And I will also need the tasker plugin as I use tasker a lot on my phone and tablets. So that points me in the right direction, thanks
I do like the HSTouch idea, but I think that'll be further in the future for me after I get my whole system converted over. Still waiting for some vital hardware bits, so I made a start on everything non zwave (I havent got the zwave z net yet, its on order...)
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee123 View Post
I remeber I think I was tinkering with Pushover on Vera too before switching to Vera Alerts. And I will also need the tasker plugin as I use tasker a lot on my phone and tablets. So that points me in the right direction, thanks
I do like the HSTouch idea, but I think that'll be further in the future for me after I get my whole system converted over. Still waiting for some vital hardware bits, so I made a start on everything non zwave (I havent got the zwave z net yet, its on order...)
I came from Smartthings --> Vera --> homeseer and was missing the ease of alerts until I found the pushover plugin tied with geofancy (phlocation) for location/geofence. Beats the pants off the alerts to your phone from smartthings and what little bit I had from vera, even the wife likes them. Easy to set up different alerts to to different people with custom messages. You can even tie a TTS to the event as it triggers the alert. For instance when our dryer is finished, tts sounds in the house and pushover to the phones in case we are outside. Also use it to let others in the family know when we are on our way home, dropping off at daycare etc. So far it works famously.
Old May 25th, 2016, 04:43 PM
Super Seer

Yes Pushover is the way to go. HSTouch is good for stationary panels and alerts, but the app has to be open to get the alerts, and they are limited compared to pushover.

I use tasker for my android tabs and just started getting into geofencing with PHLocation.
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:52 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee123 View Post
On Vera I used Vera ALerts app to send messages to my Android tablets and samrt phones. On the corresponding Vera Alerts app I could then see all my Vera system related messages, I had it send me updates when my thermostat changed temperature settings, or when TRV's had commands to change and when they actually changed. I also made it send tts commands to my wall mounted tablets to let me know heating and AC status for example. This was a very useful tool. Is there a way of recreating something like that ?
I also came from Vera and liked the Vera Alerts functionality, but couldn't find anything comparable for HS. What I ended up doing is leaving my Vera online, but removing all devices except Vera Alerts and PLEG, and a multistring plugins.

Whenever I want to send a "VeraAlert" message from Homeseer, In an event, I run a script which updates the text on the Multistring using Vera's HTTP commands, to the message I want to send. I have PLEG code which monitors the Multistring text, and when it changes (or not blank) will send a VeraAlart, the message being the Multistring text. So far it has worked quickly and flawlessly for months. With only those 3 devices, the Vera is actually very responsive and stable now. <sarcastic grin>

I've recently added a line at the end of the HS script to also have it log all messages to the HS log. I've used a message type of "VeraAlert" so I can easily find all alerts sent if I want to review them.
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:09 AM
OverSeer

Out of curiosity, what does VeraAlerts provide that Pushover doesn't?

Cheers
Al
UltraGCIR GC-100|UltraNetcam|UltraPioneer|Ultra1Wire|DSC PC1832|BLLED|BLTVGuide|ImperiHome|jon00 Utilities|MySensors

PHLocation|X10 CM11A IOLinc,etc
Old May 31st, 2016, 11:19 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman View Post
Out of curiosity, what does VeraAlerts provide that Pushover doesn't?

Cheers

Al

Not much. Except tts
Old May 31st, 2016, 12:42 PM
Seer

True the TTS is nice, and not that its a big deal at ~$5 for Pushover, but I already paid for Vera Alerts and had everything still in place, configured and working.
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:22 PM
OverSeer

The ONLY thing pushover doesn't do 5 hat Vera Alerts does is TTS and I get that (and MUCH MORE) from the Tasker plugin.
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:17 AM
Seer Master

I had a few Vera Alerts licenses, and all set up and working. Shame Vera itself wasn't... just setting up pushover and tasker on HS3 now
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:26 AM
OverSeer

The RFXCOM plug-in has an option to send Notify My Android (NMA) messages on warnings and alarm conditions.
See page 8 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:34 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_weijenberg View Post
The RFXCOM plug-in has an option to send Notify My Android (NMA) messages on warnings and alarm conditions.
See page 8 in the RFXCOM HS3 User Guide.
Ok interesting to know, I am sure I will find a use for that. Reading up on it in the manual now to see what exactly it can do and how.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:02 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Michael View Post

For urgent messages, I send a text message to my phone.
How are you sending the text messages in HS3?
Old March 15th, 2017, 03:41 AM
Seer Master

You can do that with the sms plugin (sms gateway is what I use) and a (USB) modem. That's how I do it. Very easy.
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Seer

I am using the Pushover plug-in. It works great. Almost instant notifications.
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:17 PM
Seer Master

I use the pushover plugin a lot. As you said, almost instant notifications, and you can use them to trigger tasker tasks on your Android phone too.
Old June 14th, 2017, 03:35 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizardofoz View Post
How are you sending the text messages in HS3?
Sorry, I missed this question. I just send an email to my phone. I'm on T-Mobil so the email address is <phone no.>@tmomail.net