www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area > Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System)

Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System) Are you migrating from another system to HomeSeer? Use this forum to connect with others who've done the same thing!

Old April 13th, 2017, 06:18 AM
Seer

Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 or z-wave.me UZB1 stick...?

Hi..

I'm moving from vera plus to a new homeseer HS3 windows 10 controller
i like to know what is the best z-wave stick of the two above to use with homeseer controller what are the pros and cons...?
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:56 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smargi View Post
Hi..

I'm moving from vera plus to a new homeseer HS3 windows 10 controller
i like to know what is the best z-wave stick of the two above to use with homeseer controller what are the pros and cons...?
Both will work, but you should perhaps go for the homeseer branded zstick+ since it has full support

I believe the aeon one has a battery so you can unplug and move it around to include devices, but the backup / restore is not fully supported in hs3
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:23 AM
Seer Deluxe

Another transplant... welcome!

I did my testing with the Aeotec, and it worked fine. mostly because I could get it from Amazon.

That said, I'm moved to a different PC that I couldn't easily place in a central location, and decided to use the z-net instead and haven't regretted it. Costs a bit more, but you should look at that as well as an option.
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:38 AM
Seer Deluxe

I have tried both the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 and the Homeseer SmartStick+ and prefer the SmartStick+. But mostly because it is supported as aptalca said.

Also I have found that putting it on a 3-6 ft USB extension really helps improve it's performance. Especially if it is plugged into a box or laptop computer.

Hope this helps.
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:04 AM
Seer Deluxe

I have z-net but had the aeon labs and the zwave.me uzb in the past. I found them to be on par with each other.
Z-net without a doubt is better though
Old April 13th, 2017, 11:39 AM
Seer

I use the europe version of z-wave stick so homeseer branded zstick+ is not an option.. can the aeotec backup my homeseer network and restore when needed or just the zwave.me uzb have that option...?

how does the aeotec stick work to add modules without the controller...?
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:41 PM
Seer Deluxe

You have to back up the Aeon labs stick with there own utility.

It's got a great range and works very well.
However for homeseer I'd buy the zwave.me every time.
I'm in Europe too. (At least for a while)

Both are excellent but for backup and restore zwave.me

Or go all out and get z-net
Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:23 AM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowinger View Post
I have tried both the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 and the Homeseer SmartStick+ and prefer the SmartStick+. But mostly because it is supported as aptalca said.

Also I have found that putting it on a 3-6 ft USB extension really helps improve it's performance. Especially if it is plugged into a box or laptop computer.

Hope this helps.
Does the USB extension help improve distance? I ask because I have a pool light that doesn't reach unless I move the controller closer.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 09:48 AM
Seer Deluxe

I have found that the performance is improved if you get the controller up and as far away from metal objects as you can. Metal objects will reduce RF transmission distance if too close. Also getting the controller as far away as possible from your router couldn't hurt either even though they are different frequencies.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:17 AM
Seer Deluxe

I got all kind of problems with the Aeotech gen 5, got fed up with it and bought the z-wave me about 18 months ago. Not a single problem since. Backup and restore works perfectly with z-wave me.