www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area > Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System)

Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System) Are you migrating from another system to HomeSeer? Use this forum to connect with others who've done the same thing!

Old May 5th, 2017, 12:15 AM
Viewer

Yet Another Potential Vera Refugee

After my Vera Edge bricked itself, I have decided to move on to Homeseer. I am planning on getting HS3. Tired of the instability of Vera and hope Homeseer will be better.

A few questions:

1. I have a Lenovo Thinkserver, can't remember exactly what specs but Xeon processor with at least 8gb ram. I already run Blue Iris and Plex servers on this machine, will it handle running HS3 too?

2. Does the licence transfer for HS3 if I move it from one computer to another, such as if I want to move it to its own machine from the Thinkserver in the future? Can I copy all devices/scenes with it?

3. Since I was unable to exclude devices from Vera will I be able to exclude them using Homeseer without too much issue?

4. Does Homeseer support ZigBee in anyway? Or plans​ to in the future?

5. Does Homeseer have any plugins/compatibility with Tasker(Android)

6. Any advice about how to make the transfer easier? Anything anyone wish they knew before they made the leap from Vera?
Old May 5th, 2017, 03:49 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkla79 View Post
After my Vera Edge bricked itself, I have decided to move on to Homeseer. I am planning on getting HS3. Tired of the instability of Vera and hope Homeseer will be better.

A few questions:

1. I have a Lenovo Thinkserver, can't remember exactly what specs but Xeon processor with at least 8gb ram. I already run Blue Iris and Plex servers on this machine, will it handle running HS3 too?

2. Does the licence transfer for HS3 if I move it from one computer to another, such as if I want to move it to its own machine from the Thinkserver in the future? Can I copy all devices/scenes with it?

3. Since I was unable to exclude devices from Vera will I be able to exclude them using Homeseer without too much issue?

4. Does Homeseer support ZigBee in anyway? Or plans to in the future?

5. Does Homeseer have any plugins/compatibility with Tasker(Android)

6. Any advice about how to make the transfer easier? Anything anyone wish they knew before they made the leap from Vera?
Welcome (I'm a vera refugee as well)

1. Yes it should. I'm currently running it on a raspberry pi (which is still much more powerful than any vera hardware) and hs3 pretty much runs on all win and linux systems.

2. License will transfer. Scenes and devices can transfer as long as it is the same operating system. I had to redo them going from win to linux (but I think some people may have successfully done that transfer)

3. Yes. Any controller can do the exclusion

4. There is support (may be limited as it is new). There is a thread for it around here somewhere

5. There is a paid plugin

6. Not really. Most things were pretty intuitive and straightforward. Also the boards here are great. All of my questions were already answered.
Old May 5th, 2017, 05:13 PM
OverSeer

Welcome to the light! I came from Vera as well. Never looked back. Everything about HS is better. All of your questions were already answered. They're called "Events" in HS though, not scenes as with Vera.

Make sure to post a video of how your Vera stands up to 12 ga buck shot.
Old May 5th, 2017, 08:26 PM
Seer Deluxe

Welcome as well, I tried Vera after smart things and it lasted less than a week. Wife got frustrated with both previous products and said go for it with HS3. Have been able to move far beyond the all in one platforms and achieve substantial stability... hope you make the switch and let us know how it goes. Just hit the forums if you need help on stuff but for the most part you can really pick it up quickly. Also if you get the znet it makes the exclusion really easy especially if you have the app on your phone as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.37: EasyTrigger | 3.0.0.20: Ecobee | 3.6.5.0: Harmony Hub | 3.0.0.68: HSTouch Server | 3.0.0.20: ImperiHome | 1.1.3.1: JowiHue | 3.0.1.84: PHLocation | 0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P | 1.0.0.5: Restart | 3.0.0.21: Sonos | 3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
Favorite Automation: Having my music and lights turn on when I get home as needed for day or night... simple but effective
Old May 7th, 2017, 06:07 PM
Viewer

I have downloaded HS3 and am using the smartstick+ for zwave.

I am running into issues with trying to remove/add devices.

I am unable to get many of my devices seen by the smartstick.

About half of my modules nor most of my older zwave outlets or switches are being found. These are all powered devices (have not tried any battery devices yet).

I also at this point have zwave devices added for every room so I would think I have sufficient mesh network to allow for easier finding of devices.

I have ordered an USB extension cable hoping for better reception.

Is there an issue with Homeseer and older zwave devices? They are older Intermatic zwave outlets and a couple of switches.
Old August 1st, 2017, 07:13 PM
Viewer

Thanks for all the explanation. I have been looking for this information.
Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:09 PM
Seer Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkla79 View Post
I have downloaded HS3 and am using the smartstick+ for zwave.

I am running into issues with trying to remove/add devices.

I am unable to get many of my devices seen by the smartstick.

About half of my modules nor most of my older zwave outlets or switches are being found. These are all powered devices (have not tried any battery devices yet).

I also at this point have zwave devices added for every room so I would think I have sufficient mesh network to allow for easier finding of devices.

I have ordered an USB extension cable hoping for better reception.

Is there an issue with Homeseer and older zwave devices? They are older Intermatic zwave outlets and a couple of switches.
When including older devices you may have to have the smartstick within relatively close proximity. Newer Zwave + devices have extended range and don't tend to have that problem.

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DoorBird, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, HSTouch Server, Restart, Z-Wave, EasyTrigger, PHLocation, Pushover 3P

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency