Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating HS3 On Hometroller S6 PRO, Etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating HS3 On Hometroller S6 PRO, Etc.

When I powered up the hometroller for the first time it said there was an update available. In the start up guide it states that homeseer needs to be shut down once the update begins? Does the install procedure do this automatically and if not how do I know when I'm supposed to shutdown homeseer? Don't want to mess up my first software update !!!

The Hometroller is connected to my network and I have its IP address. I can access the homeseer page on my android phone using IP address only on internal wifi network. Don't need to add :5900? When I use my port forwarding address do I need to forward port 80 or port 5900 or both?

I have a backup old homeseer system still running until I get going and all setup with the Hometroller system. The old system is controlling the home until I get new system switched over. The old system uses ports 80 and 8888 and I already have them port forwarded for outside internet access. I see in the setup for Hometroller that it is using port 80. Will this conflict with the old system and if so can I change the Hometroller s6 pro port to something other than 80? Is it necessary to port forward port 5900? Also in the startup manual they briefly mention port 5800 but its mention is a bit myterious?

Help with these issues is much appreciated...Rick

Just before clicking on the continue button you can close HS3 down and then click continue to complete the update process. You will also want to shut down the speaker app as well.
    Both can run on the same port for LAN/Wan testing as they will have different IPAddresses.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp,

For the new hs3 system do I need to port forward ports 80 and 5900 to view from anywhere on the internet? Is it port 5800 or port 5900? The startup guide is a bit unclear on this. Thanks again..Rick

Comment

Port 80 is the default for the HomeSeer HS3 web app.

Port 5900 is for RealVNC service, which allows you to access the Windows desktop from a remote computer. This is used mostly for computer administration. It's not used by the HomeSeer application.

Port 5800 is a typo that has been there for as long as I've had my S6, which is about 2 years now. It's 5900.

Whatever you do, don't forward port 5900 unless you know what you're doing and have properly secured the machine. You don't want/need your Windows desktop to be accessible by everyone from everywhere.

Note that the instructions don't mention changing the RealVNC password. The S6 is a nice unit, but IMO HomeSeer has a bit of a blind spot regarding security. My unit came with Windows Update disabled, Windows Firewall disabled, Windows Defender disabled, Windows Essentials not installed, User Access Control (UAC) set to minimum, Windows password set but not provided (found that months later posted on this board)... Plenty to consider before opening it up to the outside world. I've fixed most of the above but still don't allow external access (unless you count MyHS service).

Comment

Thanks zwolfpack,

To view from the internet, do I need to port forward port 80? Also I have another old homeseer system that is running and uses port 80 but of course at a different ipaddress. From what Rupp was saying this shouldn't be an issue? Would I be correct in saying that I need to port forward the hs3 port 80 at hs3 ipaddress which is different than old homeseer system ipaddress although it uses same port? Thanks again for your help..Rick

Comment

Yes you would will need to forward port 80 in order to access from outside.

Both can be on port 80 of their respective machines. For example, your old HS app might be at LAN address 192.168.1.101:80 and the new one at 192.168.1.102:80.

The WAN (outside) ports need to be different for the two, since you only have one WAN IP address. Say its at 66.77.88.99 - you could forward for example

WAN 66.77.88.99:12345 => LAN 192.168.1.101:80
            and
            WAN 66.77.88.99:54321 => LAN 192.168.1.102:80

(Of course one of the WAN side ports can be 80, but it doesn't have to be. Its considered slightly more secure to select a high random port number to make it harder for hackers to stumble across).

Comment

Working...
            X