Current State of Smart TV Automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current State of Smart TV Automation

I'm trying to figure out which Smart TVs have HS3 integration options and I want to check in with the community before I make a purchase. I've read through the forums and it's not clear to me what works on what model TVs.

My main interest is the ability to power on/off via WOL and the ability to change input. If I could also control other remote presses via HS3 (navigate menus/apps), that would be a great bonus.

This is what I have been able to figure out from the forums, so far:
    • For Samsung, it looks like both Dirk's Media Controller PI and Samsung TV Remote PI would be viable options, but since Samsung does not support WOL I would have to use a serial, IR or BT to manage power state and I'd like to avoid that, if possible.
    • For LG, sparkman mentions that it works for LG TV. No word if WOL is possible, or what is controllable.
    • For Vizio, the only info I can find is from a couple of posts by happnatious1. They say that the Media Controller PI does not find the TV, even though it is marked as supporting DLNA. There seems to be no config options that enable DLNA control. No info on age of the TV or model number, so I don't know if this is a Vizio thing or if happnatious1 just has an older Vizio that does not support DLNA control.

If you have any experience controlling your Smart TV with either Dirk's media controller PI or Samsung TV Remote PI, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could post what TV you have and what you can control/do with it. Having this info in one place may be of great use to many people.

Currently considering:
    • Vizio M70-C3
    • Samsung UN65JU650DFXZA
    • LG 65UF8600

Dirk also got my new SONY to work with almost ALL remote functions.

http://www.sony.ca/en/electronics/te...c-w800c-series

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
      Dirk also got my new SONY to work with almost ALL remote functions.
      Does this include Power On (WOL)?

Comment

Not sure it is actually WOL, but if my flicker turns it off, HS3 turns it on.
        It works with discreet on AND off. I can post devices list tonight if you wish.

Comment

Originally posted by 519zwave View Post
          Not sure it is actually WOL, but if my flicker turns it off, HS3 turns it on.
          It works with discreet on AND off. I can post devices list tonight if you wish.
          That is excellent news! Another potential TV to consider.

Yes, I would definitely be interested in seeing the device list. Thank you!

Comment

I am using a Samsung UN55B6000 controlled via serial Ex-link port using the drule's IP / Serial plugin. Power On/Off and input switching works great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

We have an older higher-end Panasonic plasma that has a serial input for control. I still Panny's higher-end TV's still have this input?

It's a bit sad that plasma has disappeared -- but for the resolution (non-4K, but not something that's intrinsically un-doable with the technology), still offers the "blackest blacks," and absolutely no refresh issues (the whole concept of 120/240/whatever Hz refresh is a non-issue with plasma). It appears that manufacturers have gotten away from this because (a) it can't be made "super duper thin" and (b) uses a lot of power.

My next TV will be an OLED.

Comment

LG tvs work with serial commands but recent models where the serial port has been removed and are controllable via USB can't be switched on that way. I use IR to switch on and then use serial via USB for everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post
                  We have an older higher-end Panasonic plasma that has a serial input for control. I still Panny's higher-end TV's still have this input?

It's a bit sad that plasma has disappeared -- but for the resolution (non-4K, but not something that's intrinsically un-doable with the technology), still offers the "blackest blacks," and absolutely no refresh issues (the whole concept of 120/240/whatever Hz refresh is a non-issue with plasma). It appears that manufacturers have gotten away from this because (a) it can't be made "super duper thin" and (b) uses a lot of power.

I have an LG OLED - fabulous!

Comment

All of my televisions are Vizio. Unfortunately you aren't going to be able to find any way to control them unless it's via IR so if that's not an option I would say stay away from them.

Comment

Originally posted by VickVinegar View Post
                      That is excellent news! Another potential TV to consider.

Yes, I would definitely be interested in seeing the device list. Thank you!
                      Here is what the Sony XBR55900C allows to control.
                      Note that the power works for on/off, Sony advertises WOL but it doesn't need it, unless there is some full power down mode that I haven't found yet.
                      Dirk
                      Attached Files

Comment

Currently considering:
                        • Vizio M70-C3
                        • Samsung UN65JU650DFXZA
                        • LG 65UF8600
                        Note that as of 2015 (or around that year), there seems to be no way to control Samsung (J series and newer) via Ethernet unless you know how. The protocol is completely encrypted and I haven't found a single soul who has been able to decrypt it, including myself (have UN55JS8500).

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                          Here is what the Sony XBR55900C allows to control.
                          Note that the power works for on/off, Sony advertises WOL but it doesn't need it, unless there is some full power down mode that I haven't found yet.
                          Dirk
                          Hi Dirk! I've been reading through these forums a lot recently and see how much work you put into this. Thank you very much!!

Wow, that level of control would definitely cover my needs. It looks like if I don't want to run IR or serial, Sony is going to be my best bet.

I'm looking at picking up a KDL50W800C & XBR65X900C. Do you think your PI would be compatible with these models?

Comment

Originally posted by mikedr View Post

I'm right there with you. I have a Pioneer Kuro Elite Signature edition in the Media room and a Panasonic Plasma in the Living Room. Pannay got some of Pioneer secret sauce for inky blacks..... nothing comes close for picture quality...except the LG OLEDs, but the good sizes are still spendy...and they're still slow on the refresh slide compared to plasma. But the 4k picture is STUNNING... very good blacks.
                            My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Hi Dirk! I've been reading through these forums a lot recently and see how much work you put into this. Thank you very much!!

Wow, that level of control would definitely cover my needs. It looks like if I don't want to run IR or serial, Sony is going to be my best bet.

I'm looking at picking up a KDL50W800C & XBR65X900C. Do you think your PI would be compatible with these models?
                              I would be surprised if the XBR65X900C wouldn't as it is the bigger sister of mine. Can't say what the KDL50W800C would allow. I had originally coded it up for a Sony AV receiver I recently acquired and the X900 was almost the same, had to fix more of a bug than a difference.
                              Just my 0.02$

Dirk

Comment

Working...
                              X