www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer General Discussion Area > Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System)

Migrating to HomeSeer (From Another System) Are you migrating from another system to HomeSeer? Use this forum to connect with others who've done the same thing!

Old November 17th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Seer Deluxe

Here is the one thing I miss...

this HS forum website is awful slow. :-)

reload times are crazy, and just pegs my processors if left up for awhile. Tried it both on IE11 and Chrome.

Is this just me, or are there crazy scripts etc running that are bogging this down?
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgru View Post
Here is the one thing I miss...

reload times are crazy, and just pegs my processors if left up for awhile. Tried it both on IE11 and Chrome.

Is this just me, or are there crazy scripts etc running that are bogging this down?
I don't seem to have this problem, but I don't keep the same tab open. I check for new posts periodically and read them, then close the tab. I have a shortcut that takes me to the "newest" threads from the past 2 days:

http://board.homeseer.com/search.php?do=getdaily&days=2
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

Richard done the best with what was available. Everything pleg does is done out of the box in hs3.

Pleg was the straw that made me through Vera in the bin.
I'm a controls engineer and found it too frustrating and cumbersome. Then either pleg or a random firmware update bricked the Vera meaning a factory reset.
Having ran hs3 for nearly a year I've only ever had a problems that were caused by dicking about. Even a hardware failure on my first raspberry pi didn't stop hs running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgru View Post
There are times when I cannot reach the forum at all, but aside from the DOS attach a few weeks ago, that usually resolves in a few hours. Once I'm on, though, I find the site to be reasonably quick to load and easy to navigate.

I assume you do not have similar performance issues with other sites???

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10:
Compose, XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Old November 17th, 2016, 11:16 AM
OverSeer

Here have upgraded / testing my original Zee-2 (HS3 Lite) to

- Pine64 2Gb RTC running Ubuntu 64 bit server

- Xi5a 2Gb AMD dual core running Ubuntu 64 bit server

Both of the above do well with HS3 Zee-2 software.

I have repurposed the original Zee-2 (with Z-Wave GPIO / PiFace RTC) to a remote Z-Wave device (similiar to ZNet but not).

Relating to HS3 Pro using an Intel iSeries CPU / 16Gb of memory running Ubuntu 64 bit and it is doing fine these days.

Forum seems fine today ...been bugging T-Mobile about ping times lately. Use Firefox as a browser on Wintel, Linux and Android.

Interesting blurb about closest T-Mobile server..

The name of the town was an unintentional misspelling by the U.S. Postal Service in 1882 of the city's intended name, taken from Arad Thompson, the son of the town founder and first postmaster Stephen Tuttle Thompson. Two other names for the town were sent to the Postal Service for consideration: "Ink" and "Bird". It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.383 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Last edited by Pete; November 17th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Seer

I just ended my abusive relationship with Vera as well. As another had mentioned, I miss Vera Alerts. I'm having a difficult time coming up with and planning some sort of strategy for notifications. I was generating a LOT of notifications in Vera Alerts, with different color coding, alert tones, etc. Besides typical HA type things, I have my 95 year old grandmother living with us and more recently, a month old daughter.

Other than that, I'm kicking myself in the pants for not having made this move a long time ago. Took me about a day (seriously) to get fully acclimated to the HS3 way of doing things and I've been having a blast tinkering around again.
Old November 18th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMorningHours View Post
I just ended my abusive relationship with Vera as well. As another had mentioned, I miss Vera Alerts. I'm having a difficult time coming up with and planning some sort of strategy for notifications. I was generating a LOT of notifications in Vera Alerts, with different color coding, alert tones, etc. Besides typical HA type things, I have my 95 year old grandmother living with us and more recently, a month old daughter.

Other than that, I'm kicking myself in the pants for not having made this move a long time ago. Took me about a day (seriously) to get fully acclimated to the HS3 way of doing things and I've been having a blast tinkering around again.

Welcome David

I think you will find that the Pushover plugin from MrHappy will more than cover any alerting needs that you have.

http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163974

It has a very significant following with many long term and new HomeSeer users.

Cheers
James.

Old November 18th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMorningHours View Post

Also, if I'm not mistaken, at some point Richard made it so that you could potentially call VeraAlerts from a non-vera system. What I miss most is the custom sounds and tts. Pushover kinda limits you to their sounds and I'm not a huge fan of that, though I deal with it.
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:10 AM
Seer Deluxe

I only use Vera alerts for a few things... namely garage door open ... and if vera reboots. I'll happily forgo hearing that last sound :-)
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:37 AM
OverSeer

Here used to use much TTS alerts / texting / email messages for just about everything (late 1990's-early 2000's). I have brought it down a bit due to WAF and changed inside of the house to chimes and visuals plus on demand status stuff. IE: after hours outdoor sensors went from TTS to chimes...one if by land two if by sea kind of stuff....touch screen pop ups (night stand ones) have been reduced a bit as I over did it some.
Old November 18th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here used to use much TTS alerts / texting / email messages for just about everything (late 1990's-early 2000's). I have brought it down a bit due to WAF and changed inside of the house to chimes and visuals plus on demand status stuff. IE: after hours outdoor sensors went from TTS to chimes...one if by land two if by sea kind of stuff....touch screen pop ups (night stand ones) have been reduced a bit as I over did it some.
I get the WAF thing. As much as I think it's cool to have the hosue welcome me home, or tell me stuff randomly. My wife and kids think it is crazy and annoying...LOL

So I don't do as much TTS as I want. When I get the speakers in my office and hooked up to the russound system, I will have it do TTS just for me...cause I'm geeky like that
Old November 18th, 2016, 12:48 PM
Seer

I never had much success getting Veralerts to work and I'm not sure why.

Will look into the Pushover plugin. Sounds like it could work
Old November 18th, 2016, 02:28 PM
OverSeer

Don't forget Tasker. The Tasker plugin does TTS and sounds.
Old November 18th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Seer Master

Vera user - two quick questions to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Here have upgraded / testing my original Zee-2 (HS3 Lite) to

- Pine64 2Gb RTC running Ubuntu 64 bit server

- Xi5a 2Gb AMD dual core running Ubuntu 64 bit server

Both of the above do well with HS3 Zee-2 software.

I have repurposed the original Zee-2 (with Z-Wave GPIO / PiFace RTC) to a remote Z-Wave device (similiar to ZNet but not).

Relating to HS3 Pro using an Intel iSeries CPU / 16Gb of memory running Ubuntu 64 bit and it is doing fine these days.

Forum seems fine today ...been bugging T-Mobile about ping times lately. Use Firefox as a browser on Wintel, Linux and Android.

Interesting blurb about closest T-Mobile server..

The name of the town was an unintentional misspelling by the U.S. Postal Service in 1882 of the city's intended name, taken from Arad Thompson, the son of the town founder and first postmaster Stephen Tuttle Thompson. Two other names for the town were sent to the Postal Service for consideration: "Ink" and "Bird". It has frequently been noted on lists of unusual place names.

Pete,
Man, you have me really considering moving my HS3 standard for Linux server over to a bigger rig from my bitty RPI 3.

My HS3 standard has 57 devices, 44 events running 5 plugins in HS3, and homebridge for Linux on the OS along with a couple other pre-requisite services.

I am at 332 MB used of 972 MB. Between memory used cached and buffers I am running below 75% utilization at 616 MB of 972 MB. That pine64 is pretty sweet Looking with 64 bit native, Ubuntu and 2GB RAM. I am really trying to hold my breath before making a move. I am contemplating my next hardware move and considering making it to a single hardware host for my HS3, unifi wifi controller, and unifi video server (for security cameras) when I purchase them.
I am considering attempting to build it as a VM HOST server so that I don't have to muddle with maintaining compatibility between multiple software vendors on a single OS.

Old March 14th, 2017, 08:10 PM
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkGuy View Post
Noob question here. What is PLEG? Is it a Vera thing or something on HS?
Since nobody answered this question. Program Logic Event Generator PLEG
Vera without PLEG was like the Scarecrow......no brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmeili View Post
I actually quite liked a lot about PLEG and I think it mainly stemmed from Richard doing the best with what he had. Without PLEG, the Vera is completely unusable, IMHO.
Amen to that! Richard did some good work. Probably the only reason I stayed with Vera for so long.

It does seem like a grand reunion. I see a lot of the same people from the Vera forum. I am still using the trial for HS3 and just waiting for the sale. Everything in HS3 works with whatever I pair.
As far as Vera alerts, I rely more on text message than email. Will Pushover do text message?
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:30 PM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizardofoz View Post
As far as Vera alerts, I rely more on text message than email. Will Pushover do text message?
Total reunion!

Personally, i never ended up using Pushover because my needs were pretty simple and can be done from within HS3. I get texts for things like when a garage door is left open for too long. ATT lets you send a text via a mail server, and mail support is built into HS3, so i just use that. works flawlessly.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:44 PM
Seer

Great Thanks
Old March 15th, 2017, 09:43 AM
OverSeer

PLEG is like all of the loving effort a battered woman puts into a marriage. I guess people use Vera and PLEG because they're "cheap". They're cheap in the same way that Linux is cheap..... If your time is worthless......

You can also use BLGData to send text messages.
Old March 15th, 2017, 10:09 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
I thought this wasn't working anymore? I thought the only part of BLGData that worked currently was the calendar (things may have changed). Last I heard, the API changed on Blade and he hasn't gotten all the parts back to working.
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:46 AM
Seer Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
PLEG is like all of the loving effort a battered woman puts into a marriage. I guess people use Vera and PLEG because they're "cheap". They're cheap in the same way that Linux is cheap..... If your time is worthless......

Ahhh PLEG

One of the main reasons I dumped Vera