Oregon Scientific LW301

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oregon Scientific LW301

Oregon Scientific currently has their LW301 for $100. I'm looking for a weather station to use at my vacation home, and the price is appealing, but I don't really want to be stuck using the OS cloud for limited data.

Anyone have experience with this weather station? What sort of connectivity would I have with this weather station?

My vacation home has no PC running, but does have a WiFi router and various devices. I will be running a Zee there eventually. I have a Davis here at home, that I interface to Weather Underground and PWSWeather. I'd really like to have something that does similar for the vacation home. I haven't interfaces what I have here with HS3, though I'd like to. But, I'm not sure the Zee supports the RFSCOM interface, which could be another issue.

Anyway, just want more information and opinions before springing for an LW301 and finding it isn't at all what I need.

David

I have purchased this 'kit' but can't find a way to integrate it with HS. Virtual Weather Station is not compatible with the LW301/LW302 kit.

The LW301 kit is sold on the HS store. But there is no mention in the store listing on how to integrate it into HS3.

As far as I can tell the only way to to this is to use an RFXCOM receiver, making half the kit (receiver and gateway) redundant.

Any help or advice would be good.

Marty
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

The other potential solution maybe weather display software which Jon00 had developed the app for.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=169344

Comment

By the time everything was said and done, I ended up buying two Oregon Scientific weather stations, though at good prices. I now have some redundant parts, some of which are no longer made.

I use the OS receiver, which reports data to the OS site. I also wanted a local display, so purchased the second unit that had a compatible display. I then interface the display to a WeatherBridge, which reports the data to Weather Underground. From the HS3 side, I run WeatherXML to grab the data back from WU. I have yet to integrate it into anything, though I have ideas on what I'd like to do.

When all was said and done, I would have been better off installing something like an Ambient Weather WS-1001-WIFI, or saved up for a Davis. These still don't connect to HS3 directly, but this one has everything needed to push the data to Weather Underground directly (though the WeatherBridge does have more capabilities.

David

Comment

David and Brientim,

Thanks for the replies. I have done some extensive searching on the web and it seems that the OS Anywhere Weather devices (e.g. LW301 kit) are a right pain. There is no easy way to capture the data locally. What annoys me the most is that they are sold in the HS store but there is no mention of the fact that you can't actually use them with HS. You can't even use the receiver that comes with the kit. Why would HS sell hardware that can't be used with HS?

The only option that I can see is to get a RFXCOM receiver or transceiver and use that to get the local sensor data. This means that the OS receiver and bridge/hub are totally redundant.

Anyway I have had to order a RFXCOM receiver (another $100 on top of the cost of the kit....grrrr).

Regards, Marty
          iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Most here are aware that all OS devices are interfaced to HomeSeer using the RFXCOM receiver & plugin. That said, you're right, it wouldn't hurt HST to add a disclaimer to that effect to the sales pages.
            The upside is, once you have the RFXCOM interface up and connected to Homeseer you have the potential to add many more OS (and other) sensors running at 433Mhz to your installation, including, but naturally not limited to indoor temperature/humidity devices, as well as other devices using 310Mhz to communicate (or is it 315Mhz?) , including all RF X10 devices, and others.

Personally, I don't regret my RFXCOM receiver purchase for a second.

Home automation isn't a cheap endeavor at all; not for the faint of heart, and often involves some trial and error resulting in a few left over parts and abandoned projects along the way. I'd bet there's a closet at the HST office, full of expensive devices which were tried and abandoned in an effort to improve our (the customers) experience.

As a rule of thumb, anything that involves a "cloud" is not going to be directly compatible with HS out of the box; your OS weather stations, Schlage locks, Nest thermostats; to name a few examples, all of which have workarounds which have made them fully compatible and useful to us through the efforts of HST and other plugin developers.
            Last edited by Wadenut; May 9, 2016, 02:30 AM.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

I did not go the RFXCOM route, for several reasons. First, when I was running a Zee, I don't think there was any way to support an RFXCOM receiver. I can now do that at home, and may eventually get to that point. But, the OS Wx is at my mountain home, and there I'm only running a Z-Net. I don't think there is any way at all to add an RFXCOM receiver at that site, thus the workaround of pushing the data to WU, then pulling it back to HS3 with a plugin.

David

Comment

Yes you can - use a Pi with ser2net connected to the RFXtrx, works a treat

Comment

Whoa! This sounds intriguing, but I'd need way more details than this.....

Comment

Sorry about the late reply, here are the instructions I got from Bert:

On Linux: Connect the RFXCOM to a RaspberryPI (or another Linux system) and install ser2net.
                    Here an example how to configure ser2net for 2 RFXCOM USB devices:

Code:
                    ---------
                    Disable Serial Console
                    ======================
                    sudo nano /etc/inittab
                    insert a # sign in front of this line:
                    T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyAMA0 115200 vt100
                    ctrl-O
                    Enter
                    ctrl-x

Remove console
                    ==============
                    sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
                    delete these 2 fields: console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200
                    ctrl-O
                    Enter
                    ctrl-x

Add ser2net
                    ===========
                    sudo apt-get install ser2net

sudo nano /etc/ser2net.conf
                    10001:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB0:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT
                    10002:raw:0:/dev/ttyUSB1:38400 8DATABITS NONE 1STOPBIT

sudo /etc/init.d/ser2net restart

Autostart ser2net
                    =================
                    sudo nano /etc/rc.local

add the next line before exit o :
                    /usr/local/sbin/ser2net -n
                    ---------

Comment

This is really more than I'd like to figure out, but thanks for the instructions.

I understand the RFXCOM part, but I thought it need to connect to the device running HS3. For me, that is a Windows 10 tablet, and it's running in one location, and the Wx I want to monitor is at another.

Does ser2net create a Z-Net type device that I can connect to across the internet? Or that the Z-Net can connect to?

What I really need is for Z-Net to allow devices such as RFXCOM to be plugged into it.

I do have a spare Zee at this point. But, I don't think an RFXCOM can be plugged into it, either.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X