Best Z-Wave Thermostat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Z-Wave Thermostat?

I am looking at getting a new Z-Wave thermostat.

What is the best thermostat with the best HS integration?

Thanks!

I have two of these: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Hone...-P1152C38.aspx

They work quite well.

Comment

I have had this Trane for several years in two different house and they have been solid. Never a glitch or any other kind of nonsense some other z-wave devices give. Now that you asked this question it makes me realize how solid it's been all these years

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Tran...-P1039C38.aspx
      Tom
      baby steps...starting again with HS3
      HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
      HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
      Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
      In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
      System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

I have three of the Honeywell Z-Wave thermostats over two houses. Love 'em to death. Absolutely rock solid. They have instant reporting of internal temperature, etc. Absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
          I have had this Trane for several years in two different house and they have been solid. Never a glitch or any other kind of nonsense some other z-wave devices give. Now that you asked this question it makes me realize how solid it's been all these years

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Tran...-P1039C38.aspx
          I have the same one - with HS2. It has been rock solid and it has instant reporting of temp changes. There are 2 quirks (again w/ HS2, not sure if they are there w/ HS3): 1) does not do instant reporting of any other local changes (fan, temp setting etc) so I poll it on any temp change and every 30 mins; 2) fan status is incorrect - I had exchanges w/ HS folks on this and we never resolved it - their claim was that firmware is old but I never found a way to update it.

Comment

I've only tried 2 types of Z-Wave thermostats. I would say STAY AWAY from the CT-30 thermostat at all costs! I bought several of these and ended up literally throwing them all in the garbage. I switched to CT-50 (3M-50 WiFi) and was somewhat happier, but still not satisfied with the quality of them. Recently I purchased a CT-100 Z-Wave thermostat for a second home, and I've been very happy with it so far. It reports temp, humidity, instant status, etc. I've only had it a couple of months though. I'm not sure what the reason is for the huge difference in quality, since these thermostats are all manufactured by the same company (Radio Thermostat). The CT-30 and CT-50 use plug-in Z-Wave or WiFi modules and just have not been reliable for me. The CT-100 sold in the HomeSeer store is fixed Z-Wave and so far seems ok. You can also get it on sale for around $75, which is a huge plus.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I am also interested in the Trane, however, in this post it was mentioned that it doesn't report instant status. I realize this comment reflects its operation on HS2, but how about HS3? Does it need to be polled to get status?

Robert
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

I just tested my trane with HS3 and it was instant. I have a second home that will need three thermostats and I'm gonna be putting Trane in all of them due to how reliable they have been.

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                I am also interested in the Trane, however, in this post it was mentioned that it doesn't report instant status. I realize this comment reflects its operation on HS2, but how about HS3? Does it need to be polled to get status?

Robert
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                  I just tested my trane with HS3 and it was instant. I have a second home that will need three thermostats and I'm gonna be putting Trane in all of them due to how reliable they have been.
                  Thanks! I am convinced to go with the Trane.

I like the look of them and while I like other stats such as Nest, Ecobee, I don't like the idea of having to go to a cloud service to control them.

One last question is are these fully functional with HStouch?

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Best Thermostat?

I can't answer that, but I did just get a 2Gig CT-100 z-wave and am quite happy with it. I don't need an elaborate 7 day, multi period programmable, I had one and found it cumbersome to program and use.
                    Some advantages to a HS3 integrated thermostat for me is:
                    - I have window sensors so I can now turn the HVAC system "off" in the event windows are open. Hence, I am not cooling the outside world in the summer when the kids leave their windows open.
                    - My ceiling fans are also HS3 integrated so I can control those based on when the furnace/AC blower goes on or off.
                    My wife "works at home" so I have no need for "leave" or "return" set points. I just setup a couple (4 actually) events based on time (morning and night) to change the temperature set points. If my HS3 server should go down for some reason, the thermostat will just remain at the last set point. I will find out long before noticing weird temps that there is an issue with the server as I have many controlled items in the house.
                    David

Comment

I have the 2gig CT100. It's works great. The only limitation I've run into is that while it has instant status for temperature, that's the only thing it does instant status for. It does not report a change in operating state. To work around this I created an event that is triggered by temperature change and polls the operating state and humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrag View Post
                        I have the 2gig CT100. It's works great. The only limitation I've run into is that while it has instant status for temperature, that's the only thing it does instant status for. It does not report a change in operating state. To work around this I created an event that is triggered by temperature change and polls the operating state and humidity.
                        FWIW, the Honeywell does instant status for all these things. Just for those who are looking at options and haven't purchased yet.

Comment

Another vote for Trane... I've used a Trane TZEMT043AB32MAA since 2010 and it's never missed a beat. I don't think it's made anymore... and is replaced by the TZEMT400BB3NX.
                          Last edited by jrfuda; December 15, 2015, 02:26 PM. Reason: typos
                          John
                          Hardware: i5-6400T w/16GB RAM & SSD w/HS3Pro, Z-Net, Harmony Hub x2, Echo Dot x2, Ocelot
                          Plugins: Z-wave, HSTouch, BLBackup, Harmony, GTS CPUXA, UltraMon3, Nest
                          HSTouch: Multiple Android Devices; 5 x ToteVision MD-1001 10.1" Win 7 Tablets
                          Devices: Cooper RF9501 x4, RF9517 x6, RF9534 x1, RF9540-N x7, RF9542 x1, RF9542-Z x2, RFHDSCG x1, RFWC5 x5; Intermatic HA02 x6; FortrezZ MIMOLite x3; Leviton VRPD3-1LW x4, VRR15-1LZ x6; Nest Tstat & 9x Protects; Dragon PD-100 x3, PA-100 x3

Comment

This Trane is simple, yet solid so far!
                            Always responds to events, shows status updates for temperature and humidity.

https://www.trane.com/residential/en...ols/xl624.html

Comment

Does this or the 524 report when heating/cooling is actually on and off?
                              I want to trigger events based on these conditions.

Comment

Working...
                              X