www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > HomeSeer Products & Services > HomeSeer Software > HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API

HomeSeer Amazon Echo Connected Home API Discussions related to the Amazon Echo native support for connected home products

Old December 9th, 2016, 02:49 PM
OverSeer

I hear ya... was there once.

I too used alexa to turn off and on the TV. Having Jon's helper (though not the last couple of days), I can pass in the channel number I want and have it change it - or volume etc. (On those occasions when extending the hand is too much work or the remote is far away). It would be a long shot, but would be nice to pass parameters using this method.

Robert
HS3PRO 3.0.0.435 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dot, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenet View Post
I hear ya... was there once.

I too used alexa to turn off and on the TV. Having Jon's helper (though not the last couple of days), I can pass in the channel number I want and have it change it - or volume etc. (On those occasions when extending the hand is too much work or the remote is far away). It would be a long shot, but would be nice to pass parameters using this method.

Robert
I can't think that it would work at all since this is a "HUE" (virtual, clone, emulator or what ever you want to call it) device it really is only made to do what hue and Echo can do together. I don't think that has of passing any parameters in it.

Also there is not many options or any (besides the 100.00 harmony z-wave box) that let you pass harmony home control remote buttons to a z-wave device. This does that for me. So each room I have a harmony remote in (which is almost all now) I can have that remote control any of the lights or devices I want from the TV remote buttons. So this does more then just Alexa/Echo control for me.
Old December 9th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by integlikewhoa View Post
I can't think that it would work at all since this is a "HUE" (virtual, clone, emulator or what ever you want to call it) device it really is only made to do what hue and Echo can do together. I don't think that has of passing any parameters in it.

Also there is not many options or any (besides the 100.00 harmony z-wave box) that let you pass harmony home control remote buttons to a z-wave device. This does that for me. So each room I have a harmony remote in (which is almost all now) I can have that remote control any of the lights or devices I want from the TV remote buttons. So this does more then just Alexa/Echo control for me.
I also have Harmony's in each room. I'm so gonna try and set this up. Could add some "WAF" and "DAF" (Daughter Approval Factor? LOL).
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:03 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmeili View Post
I also have Harmony's in each room. I'm so gonna try and set this up. Could add some "WAF" and "DAF" (Daughter Approval Factor? LOL).
You have Harmony "Home" remote right?

Run it, use the Harmony app to add a hue bridge, give it some time it usually pops up a screen that says press button on Hue hub (ignore that a wait a bit) then it should slide past that and add all the lights (or devices) you have created in the java program web ui. You can then assign "Home" buttons to the devices you just added to turn on/off/dim those devices from the remote without changing any activities.
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Super Seer

In case anyone else runs into this. I couldn't get port 50000 (the default udp port for uPnP) to work on my windows machine (Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials). Apparently dns.exe was taking up 2500 ports which included the 50000-50020 range that the ha-bridge uses.

So I used netstat to find a port that was not used (I actually exported the output to file: netstat -bano > netstat.txt).

Then I stoped dns.exe: net stop dns
Then I started up the ha-bridge and let it load. I changed the UDP port to one that I knew wasn't used and stopped the ha-bridge again.
Then I started dns.exe: net start dns
and finally started up the ha-bridge.

It now works
Old December 9th, 2016, 04:57 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
You have Harmony "Home" remote right?

Run it, use the Harmony app to add a hue bridge, give it some time it usually pops up a screen that says press button on Hue hub (ignore that a wait a bit) then it should slide past that and add all the lights (or devices) you have created in the java program web ui. You can then assign "Home" buttons to the devices you just added to turn on/off/dim those devices from the remote without changing any activities.
I don't have a Harmony Home. I have a Harmony Ultimate (in the living room, which is my first test). I tell it to scan for Wi-Fi devices, but it doesn't find it.

I've had a hue hub connected to it forever, so I know it works with an actual HUE. I've opened up the UDP port 49000 (which I had to use instead of 50000) and TCP port 85. Am I missing something?
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I don't have a Harmony Home. I have a Harmony Ultimate (in the living room, which is my first test). I tell it to scan for Wi-Fi devices, but it doesn't find it.

I've had a hue hub connected to it forever, so I know it works with an actual HUE. I've opened up the UDP port 49000 (which I had to use instead of 50000) and TCP port 85. Am I missing something?
I've got two Harmony Ultimates and Hubs and have just added hue hub without any issues to both of them.

So it does work!
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Seer Master

Quote:

I don't think you can change the port. Hue hub should be dedicated to one port which is probley that 50000. If you chnage that port I would assume that Harmony is looking for the HUE hub only on that standard HUE port.

Also I don't know how this works on the Ultimate (or if it even works) but on the home you don't scan for wifi devices. You scan for home connected devices and choose HUE from the list of compatible devices.

Harmony Home is set to search and connect to a HUE bridge when you do that at which point it will discover this Java Bridge as a HUE Bridge.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:14 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
I don't think you can change the port. Hue hub should be dedicated to one port which is probley that 50000. If you chnage that port I would assume that Harmony is looking for the HUE hub only on that standard HUE port.

Also I don't know how this works on the Ultimate (or if it even works) but on the home you don't scan for wifi devices. You scan for home connected devices and choose HUE from the list of compatible devices.

Harmony Home is set to search and connect to a HUE bridge when you do that at which point it will discover this Java Bridge as a HUE Bridge.
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have my actual hue hub connected just fine to that hub. I tried disabling the dns service, setting the port back to 50000 and it still didn't find it.

I have 3 harmony home control's for the bedrooms. I will try one of those just in case.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I have my actual hue hub connected just fine to that hub. I tried disabling the dns service, setting the port back to 50000 and it still didn't find it.

I have 3 harmony home control's for the bedrooms. I will try one of those just in case.
I guess you can't add more than 1 hub at atime to the Harmony. I will have to remove the one I have now and add the new one. I think I can use the hue proxy stuff in ha-bridge to still keep my hue devices on the harmony.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
I guess you can't add more than 1 hub at atime to the Harmony. I will have to remove the one I have now and add the new one. I think I can use the hue proxy stuff in ha-bridge to still keep my hue devices on the harmony.
Hmmm I guess that makes sense (and I don't own any real hue hub). Why would any normal person need more then one hue hub in a house. Not that we are normal though.
Old December 9th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Still a no go. I'm not sure exactly how come it's nto working. The Alexa picked it up immediately, but the Harmony app seems to not want to pick it up
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:04 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Still a no go. I'm not sure exactly how come it's nto working. The Alexa picked it up immediately, but the Harmony app seems to not want to pick it up
Ok, so my remote needed a firmware update and after that, it found it really fast...LOL Thanks! I won't get time to play with it now though since I wasted so much time getting it set up. Maybe tonight after the kids go to bed

BTW, does it add lights automatically to the harmony as you ad them to the hub?

Edit: Also, is there a way for 2 way communication? I would like the harmony to keep in sync with homeseer.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:24 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Ok, so my remote needed a firmware update and after that, it found it really fast...LOL Thanks! I won't get time to play with it now though since I wasted so much time getting it set up. Maybe tonight after the kids go to bed

BTW, does it add lights automatically to the harmony as you ad them to the hub?

Edit: Also, is there a way for 2 way communication? I would like the harmony to keep in sync with homeseer.
Yes My lights update themselves as I add them except for ECHO. I need to discover east time.

The do use 2 way communication but my remote doesn't have a screen and I think I remember people saying its not so accurate. Not sure if that was fixed or what the issue is with that.
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:27 PM
Super Seer

Ok...Last post for tonight. It appears you can update the status in the bridge without sending the command out. From the looks of it though, it looks like you need to be "linked" to the hub emulator to do it. I'll have to research this. I've been looking for an idea for a plugin to write, so maybe I can do this:

A Plugin that allows you to "link" homeseer devices to the ha-bridge. To start it would be merely to create and maintain the status of devices in the ha-bridge with a linked device in homeseer. It could also allow for easier creation of other bridge devices like ones for events, etc, but I would likely just start for keeping the status updated.

It would be really nice if I could find a way to have the plugin run the bridge itself and configure it, but that might be a lot of reverse engineering for not a lot of benefit (except that it could all be managed via homeseer).
Old December 9th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Ok...Last post for tonight. It appears you can update the status in the bridge without sending the command out. From the looks of it though, it looks like you need to be "linked" to the hub emulator to do it. I'll have to research this. I've been looking for an idea for a plugin to write, so maybe I can do this:

A Plugin that allows you to "link" homeseer devices to the ha-bridge. To start it would be merely to create and maintain the status of devices in the ha-bridge with a linked device in homeseer. It could also allow for easier creation of other bridge devices like ones for events, etc, but I would likely just start for keeping the status updated.

It would be really nice if I could find a way to have the plugin run the bridge itself and configure it, but that might be a lot of reverse engineering for not a lot of benefit (except that it could all be managed via homeseer).
I know you have no control over this and this is only looking at it from a user side (not dev) but this really should be packaged into the Harmony plugin. To give you more control then whats currently in the plugin. By the way that current plugin is struggling and is down with a fix coming maybe this weekend due to Harmony changing login authentication protocalls. The HA-Bridge was updated already for this problem and is working now but the HomeSeer Plugin for Harmony has not been. Only existing tokens (old installs) are working with no new ones working yet.
Old December 12th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogs View Post
After running Java -version from CMD what should happen, it takes me to the windows java folder!

In other words I am not getting the bridge to work
If your on windows I'm pretty sure you already have java install or you can install it from java.com

Also the instructions were tailored for linux like it says in his post. Running from windows will be much easier doesnt require any cmd promps, batch files or anything for basic operation. If you had conflitcing ports or issues with the default settings you could run a custom batch to start it on another port, but if you are able to run on the defaults atleast for the first time, once you get into the web ui you could chnage the defaults from the web UI (which is much easier for some people) rather then a manual startup command.

All you really need to do on windows is double click or run the HA-Bridge java file. Before you do that I would make a folder and place it in the directory of your choice but thats really just to keep things clean.

After that it should be running and you need to open a web UI and either use.
http://localhost:8080
or
your severs IP followed by :8080
to open the web ui for the Ha Bridge.

If your sever is already using port 80 or 8080 for some other type of system then you'll need to change that default port to one of your choice. This can be a bit more difficult since can;t even get to the web ui in the first place. you need to either start up using a custom script for change the default port or shut down the other system that is using 80 or 8080 temporary while you get in once then change the port on this to another of your choice.
Old December 12th, 2016, 04:09 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious View Post
Hi all,
after the recent myHS outage, some bright spark (integlikewhoa) suggested that we can use HA bridge to run a nice little jar locally on our servers to basically act as a gateway for our collective echoes and have direct control instead of the usual "tell homeseer to do x".

To spread the wealth, here's some quick and dirty instructions to get started on windows, please feel free to add any comments or suggestions, especially need something straightforward for linux users.

All the below assumes you've already installed java, and have it in the system path.
To confirm, run from a command prompt:
java -version
After running Java -version from CMD what should happen, it takes me to the windows java folder!

A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"
HomeSeer 3 V 3.0.0.318 with ALEXA (AKA Amazon Echo)
BL Radar V2.0.217; BLRF V2.0.85.0; HS Touch V3.0.0.1034 X10 V3.0.0.42; PHLocation V3.0.0.38; Zwave V3.0.1.110; X10 V3.0.0.42
BLBackup V2.0.39;ImperiHome3.0.0.20 All on Windows XP Pro
Old December 12th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Super Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogs View Post

Attached is what I get when I type in "Java -version" (without quotes) in a command line.

Edit: This is what you "should" see.
Attached Images

Old December 12th, 2016, 05:38 PM
OverSeer

Thanks guys,

re-installed Java and HA-Bridge works.

Just got to figure out how to get it speaking to HS3.