Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Pi-Sonos Controller use UPnP or Sonos API?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Pi-Sonos Controller use UPnP or Sonos API?

Been hearing rumors that Sonos will stop supporting UPnP at some point and require all 3rd parties to use their new API. Which does this plugin use? Any potential impact if this does happen?

Originally posted by upstatemike View Post
    Been hearing rumors that Sonos will stop supporting UPnP at some point and require all 3rd parties to use their new API. Which does this plugin use? Any potential impact if this does happen?
    Where have you been hearing this rumor?
    Currently all is through UPNP. As far as I can tell, the API is more geared outwards towards music services (think content navigation) as opposed to (inward) controlling players. I did see a small section today on the news about Roku and Samsung and how easy they can be "hacked" into. A bit of an exaggeration why anyone would want to hack in, to turn off your player but it is true. If Sonos decides to encrypt the whole interface, we could be SOL soon. Same happened with Samsung TVs where as far as I can tell, no-one has cracked it. I've seen some moving to JSON and some authentications but still un-encrypted but I'm concerned that will change as well (I think LG as of 2017 went that way)
    Dirk

Comment

Control4 claimed they were forced to move to drivers based on the new API instead of the UPnP ones they were using from Extra Vegetables. The developer of CQC was inquiring on the Sonos site as to how to sign up to get access to the new API because he heard UPnP might be going away.

I could be misinterpreting things but I know the new API functionality is very limited (many Control4 customers were really ticked off about the loss of features) and so I'm just concerned what would happen to this plugin if the rumors were true. If you haven't heard anything then maybe that is a good sign that they are not.

Comment

Working...
      X