This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hops and reliability

Has anyone actually played with the "Maximum hops" option to see if this made any difference in your system reliability? It used to be more or less ignored but with the PLM it will change the hops transmission byte. Just something to try.

Jon
    Jon Ort
    JonOrt@The--Orts.com
    (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Originally posted by Oman View Post
    Has anyone actually played with the "Maximum hops" option to see if this made any difference in your system reliability? It used to be more or less ignored but with the PLM it will change the hops transmission byte. Just something to try.

Jon
    Thanks, Jon. Increasing it, I assume?

Will be happy to try if there's even a prayer of improving the situation.
    Madcodger

This would be a lot easier if I knew what I was doing...

Comment

Yes. It is supposed to change the maximum number of hops that a transmission is allowed to make. It is counted/limited to prevent data storms. It won't change how devices talk to the PLM but it will change how the commands go out from the PLM. My guess is that most devices are hard-coded to a value of 3 (4 hops max) but I haven't confirmed that.

Jon

Originally posted by Madcodger View Post
      Thanks, Jon. Increasing it, I assume?

Will be happy to try if there's even a prayer of improving the situation.
      Jon Ort
      JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman View Post

Jon

Jon, I've tried playing with it (using the PLC/SDM) on days when communications seem especially wonky. I can't really tell if anything changes, to be honest. Some parts of the house seem to reply more consistently with a higher hop count, but that could either be the hop count change or a device along the way repeating differently. On other days, setting the hop count to 1 seems to improve communications. It's very subjective, and based entirely on how fast/reliably a device poll happens for a large room.

If you told me the code was commented out in the PLC version, I'd believe you.

N.B. Isn't it a two-bit field, rather than a byte? Legit values would seem to be 0,1,2,3 only, according to the Insteon whitepapers.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it ends up doing nothing in the PLC version (actually the SDM I think filters it). The PLM version does use it.

Jon

Originally posted by JeffryD View Post
          Jon, I've tried playing with it (using the PLC/SDM) on days when communications seem especially wonky. I can't really tell if anything changes, to be honest. Some parts of the house seem to reply more consistently with a higher hop count, but that could either be the hop count change or a device along the way repeating differently. On other days, setting the hop count to 1 seems to improve communications. It's very subjective, and based entirely on how fast/reliably a device poll happens for a large room.

If you told me the code was commented out in the PLC version, I'd believe you.

N.B. Isn't it a two-bit field, rather than a byte? Legit values would seem to be 0,1,2,3 only, according to the Insteon whitepapers.
          Jon Ort
          JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Working...
          X