Selecting temperature devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selecting temperature devices

Many of my temperature sensors are RFXCOM devices. They do not show up in the dropdown lists.

What can I or we do to make that happen?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
    Many of my temperature sensors are RFXCOM devices. They do not show up in the dropdown lists.

What can I or we do to make that happen?
    The plugin looks for the word 'temperature' in the Device Type String to identify temperature sensors.
    Have a look at the device type string on the Advanced tab for one of your RFXCOM sensors. If you let me know what it says I can update the plugin to include those sensors in the lists to select from.
    You could edit the device type string to include the word 'temperature' if you want a immediate solution. However it is possible, although unlikely, that the RFXCOM plugin uses the device type string so it might upset it if you manually edit the string.

Steve

Comment

Ah, that makes sense.

If you could also check the DeviceSubType string, as for RFXCOM devices all are prefixed with "TEMPx" where X is a number. But temperature sensors always start with "TEMP".

The disadvantage with using the with using the Device Type String is that it's user customizeable. I'll change the sensors I need them for, but having RFXCOM devices automatically recognized would be awesome!

The plugin is fantastic, by the way!
      And it saved me the work for writing such a plugin myself...
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Hmm... a new issue.
        I updated a RFXCOM temperature sensor, and then went on to configure my first thermostat. I press the "NONE SELECTED" button, but nothing happens.

EDIT: Wait, I'm lying. It just took time to iterate through 1200 devices.

Comment

The disadvantage with using the with using the Device Type String is that it's user customizeable.
          The reason for using the Device Type String was partly because it 'is' user customizeable. It means that if somebody wants to set up a virtual device it's easy for them to configure that to be recognised. Also if you have a device that the plugin doesn't recognise automatically the user can edit the string to add it to the list without the plugin being updated.

The device subtype is set to various names by different plugins so it also has disadvantages. For example, the ZWave plugin sets the SubType to Temperature, the RFXCOM SubType starts with TEMP, the WeatherXML plugin doesn't set a SubType.

I toyed with just adding all devices to the list but decided it was better to filter them with the user having the option to add any devices by editing the Device Type String. However, I will certainly update the plugin to add as many devices automatically as possible as I become aware of them.

Does the Device Type String for all RXFCOM temperature sensors start with 'THR...'? Do other RXFCOM devices that aren't temperature sensors also start 'THR...'?

If Yes and No I will use THR to add RXFCOM tem sensors to the list otherwise I will check the SubType as well to look for these sensors.

The plugin is fantastic, by the way!
          And it saved me the work for writing such a plugin myself...
          Thanks, I'm glad it is working for you. I have been running it for a few years now with 3 VStats configured to operate 3 zones, 2 in one house and one at a remote location.

Steve

Comment

EDIT: Wait, I'm lying. It just took time to iterate through 1200 devices.
            Only 1200 devices! Do you live in a shoe box

Comment

Hi Steve

Version History: "3.0.8.1 Sensors with Device Type [String] containing ‘weather’ added to lists."

Could you add 'TEMP' as well?
              I use RfLink for temperature sensors. If I change device type string, the devices will no longer update

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vitellius View Post
                Hi Steve

Version History: "3.0.8.1 Sensors with Device Type [String] containing ‘weather’ added to lists."

Could you add 'TEMP' as well?
                I use RfLink for temperature sensors. If I change device type string, the devices will no longer update

Thanks

I will update so that devices containing TEMP in the DeviceTypeString are added to the lists. It might pick up some non valid devices where TEMP isn't short for temperature but it doesn't much matter. I will submit to DeveloperPortal so it should be in the updater early next week.

In the meantime there is a work around if you want to get it working with the current version.
                The DeviceTypeString is only used to build the lists of available sensors to select, it isn't otherwise used by the plug-in. You can therefore temporarily modify the string, change TEMP to TEMPERATURE, so that you can select the devices for any VStats you have created. You can then change it back to TEMP. Once you have assigned a sensor to a VStat it will stick.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

In the meantime there is a work around if you want to get it working with the current version.
                  The DeviceTypeString is only used to build the lists of available sensors to select, it isn't otherwise used by the plug-in. You can therefore temporarily modify the string, change TEMP to TEMPERATURE, so that you can select the devices for any VStats you have created. You can then change it back to TEMP. Once you have assigned a sensor to a VStat it will stick.

Steve
                  Ahh, I see. That solved the problem

Thank you Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X