Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is RCS TR40 RS-485 Supported using HS3 RCS Serial Plugin - Plugin now working!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is RCS TR40 RS-485 Supported using HS3 RCS Serial Plugin - Plugin now working!

Does anyone know if the HS3 plug-in for RCS Serial T-stats works with the TR40? Also, since this TStat uses an RS-485 interface, what do you need to connect it to the computer running HS3? Has anyone had success with a specific USB to RS485 adapter? I see a few on Amazon for <$10.

I'm using the TR40 with the RCS Serial plug-in in HS2 without issue. I think the HS3 plug-in is a direct port of the HS2 version, so I expect it to perform similarly. (I certainly hope so, because I plan to convert to HS3.)

I use an inexpensive RS485 to RS232 converter similar to this one, and an Edgeport/8 to connect. The Edgeport is just an 8-channel serial-to-USB converter. The connection to the TR40 appears to be quite basic, so I don't think it requires anything special.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks, Uncle Michael. I'm still exploring how I'm going to migrate all my StarGate interfaced sensors and subsystems into Homeseer. This answers my questions about HVAC interfacing.

Comment

When I started with HS2 I used the Stargate plug-in to allow me to keep using the setup I had. Over time, though, I migrated everything to HS. The plug-in made the job easier, but not 'easy'. I did not stop using the SG box, though. I still use it to send and receive IR, detect digital and analog signals, and operate relays. There was nothing the SG did that HS couldn't handle, but HS trails SG in the handling of IO.

I use ASCII messaging between SG and HS to allow the two to communicate. It works well, and is very fast, but I wouldn't want to try to keep many devices in sync that way. I described my method in a thread in the Stargate forum.

Now I find myself facing the same challenge again migrating from HS2 to HS3, only my setup is MUCH more complex now.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

yes.. but I have to ping the stat every few days
          Ubuntu on the Intel NUC ( 8i5BEK ), 32 G, 250G SSD, V4 Pro 😎

Comment

Originally posted by gearyt View Post
            yes.. but I have to ping the stat every few days
            What do you mean by 'ping the stat'? What do you do?

Comment

I set the fan to "Auto" just to wake it up...

Comment

I set the fan to "Auto" just to wake it up...
                Is that the only command that HS sends to your TStat?

In my setup HS is sending commands to set back at night and restore settings in the morning at a minimum. It also sends set back and restore when we are away and return. So my TStat sees at least 2 commands a day.

Is there anything special about the fan command, or do you have HS connected to the TStat solely for the purpose of monitoring its function.

Comment

no, I run several scripts, but when the weather is constant, not much change..
                  Attached Files

Comment

no, I run several scripts, but when the weather is constant, not much change..
                    So, if HS doesn't send a command to the TStat for a few days then the TStat stops responding to an HS poll unless you send it a command. Is that a fair summary?

Comment

That's what I have found, they were unable to duplicate so never fixed. I keep hoping when they re-address the plug-in they may fix it by accident.

Comment

Thanks. That's good to know. I'll definitely plan to send a command - even a dummy one - regularly.

Comment

with luck you won't have the same problem, again, they couldn't duplicate

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                            I'm using the TR40 with the RCS Serial plug-in in HS2 without issue. I think the HS3 plug-in is a direct port of the HS2 version, so I expect it to perform similarly. (I certainly hope so, because I plan to convert to HS3.)

I use an inexpensive RS485 to RS232 converter similar to this one, and an Edgeport/8 to connect. The Edgeport is just an 8-channel serial-to-USB converter. The connection to the TR40 appears to be quite basic, so I don't think it requires anything special.
                            I finally got the parts and tried to get my TR40 online yesterday, but had no luck getting mine to work with the Plug-in on HS3. On the RS485 adapter I bought, I'm using R+ for the Receiver B Output (RB on the TR40) and R- for the Receiver A Output (RA on the TR40). I'm interested in hearing how yours is connected. Also, what are you using for the 12VDC supply?

Comment

I have one twisted pair connecting the 485 port on the TR40 to the adapter.

The (+) terminals are connected together as are the (-). The adapter is powered by USB and the TR40 is powered by the HVAC system. I do not use a 12V supply in the system.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X