Best ceiling fans and control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ceiling fans and control?

i saw the Haiku wifi line and am interested. yet no easy HS integration except they have Echo... so thats good. i have a few fans now not great use simple zwave on off relay to control. anyone have suggestions for efficient multispeed fan units to integrate control via HS??
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

I use this with my fans and it works very well with HS.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/g...nt=22854680902

Comment

I use a GE Jasco fan control switch. Works like a champ for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

+1 on the GE switches. They are kludgy on their setup though as the low/med/high setting is actually a dimmer setup (I think this is an HS issue as its presented as a dimmer switch).

It works well, 10-30 percent on the dimmer is low, 31-70 is med, and 71 up is high.

Also I really like that when you first turn it on, it gives a little power boost to the fan to get it up to speed quicker. Nice little touch, that I doubt most notice.

Comment

I use insteon FanLincs for all my fans. It gives me light and fan control in 1 unit up at the fan. I couple them with KeypadLincs. This gives me 6-8 buttons to control them. For instance for my living room and dining room, I can control 3 ceiling fans (independently) and 2 sets of lights with 3 buttons left over (1 is used to control an outlet actually). Soon I will be adding 1 more ceiling fan (for the kitchen).

I retain dimming and fan speed control, though it is a bit clunky if you only use 1 button per device like I do. The same button does dim up and dim down.. it alternates, I believe starting with Dim Down. So you have to press and hold for a second, then release and press and hold again to dim up. That said, we don't normally adjust the lighting level and/or fan speeds using the KPLs. We depend on automation and/or other methods of control (phones).

Another nice feature is that I set all the ceiling fans to turn on to Med by default. If you want to turn it on High instead, you can just double click the button while it's off (Which is a fast on). Same for the lights. They default to 1 level (living room is 50%), but a double click will turn them on full.

Comment

Another +1 for the GE switch, like others said the setup is a little funny in HS, but it's not hard to get going!

Comment

Another fan of the GE fan dimmers.

Michael
              Michael

Comment

Currently waiting on Bond.io. Fingers crossed!

http://fan-bond.com

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sireone View Post
                  Currently waiting on Bond.io. Fingers crossed!

http://fan-bond.com

hadn't seen that.... thanks. Solves my problem with a fan remote and wall switch that is RF.

pricey though.

Comment

Seems simple to setup... really looking forward to this.

https://youtu.be/3NHslMmkFZs

Comment

It looks like Bond starts shipping in a couple of weeks. Anxious to hear how they work. I am also interested if and when they will control LG air conditioners and if there is or will be an API. Right now it looks like only ceiling fan control is offered, and the only control is through their app or Alexa.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Comment

A dimmer is not designed to control a motor. Usually they will not work, make the fan motor buzz and/or they can overheat. A ceiling fan usually uses a single phase capacitor start induction motor. It takes a completely different design than controlling a lamp.

Comment

How about forward / reverse for the fan?

Well, the GE switch looks fine, but it's not at all clear how to get forward and reverse directions for the fan. Any thoughts out there?

Comment

Originally posted by 45rogue View Post
                              Well, the GE switch looks fine, but it's not at all clear how to get forward and reverse directions for the fan. Any thoughts out there?
                              The reverse is usually hardwired to the windings in the motor. A switch or control at the wall cannot reverse the motor, unless it is a wireless control communicating with a module in the fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X