No announcement yet.

First Alert ZCOMBO-G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about replacing my smoke detectors. Looks like these communicate with each other through homeseer so if one goes off, a HS event would trigger the alarm going off for all the other sensors, correct? Sounds like a lot of events to create, basically one for each smoke detector? Also is there a way to have these associated with each other in addition to HS. This way if my HS server is down, the smoke detectors would still communicate with each other? Otherwise I'll likely keep my old style that are hard wired together.

thanks

Comment

As far as I know, they do not talk to each other. . .and you can not trigger them to alarm from HS.

Comment

I would highly advise you not to replace your wired smoke detectors with zwave battery powered ones. It will not pass code, and as mentioned they will not signal each other. I use a few of these, but they are supplemental to the code required, hard wired ones.

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
          When I started this thread on May 11, I had a fresh battery in the unit and the battery device read 96%. Today, the battery is down to 91%. No chirping (as others have reported).... just sits there doing its thing..
          And today (6 months from the start), the battery is at 88%, indicating 8% battery consumption is 6 months. I'm pleased with that so far. The bulk of the power consumption is probably heartbeat transmissions every hour.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

so this is interesting...
            my house is 20 years old and the original smokes are in the house.
            I know you are supposed to change them every X years...

so I am well overdue.

i have wired ones and need to replace them as my wife is very prone to thinking ANYTHING will burn the house down...

so it was on my mind to buy new smoke detectors so I will get them..

but these are cheap so I will buy these too....

so few questions...

1. These work with HS3 and can be added / get emails / status etc... and work with the lastest plugin and a ztroller?

2. how often should you replace:
            • Wired Smokes
            • GE Smokes - Concord (ADT Installed)
            • these zwave units - do they go bad too?

3. I thought Carbon detectors are supposed to be low.. not high.. so is it pointless on these devices?

FYI they sell them at lowes
            http://www.lowes.com/pd_505521-347-Z...d=4780109&Ntt=

i found it on a google search that someone asked what is the difference of the one without the G and with... and im hearing NOTHING....
            anyone else able to confirm? I can buy, test and if not return.. thus nice thing about lowes...
            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
              I would highly advise you not to replace your wired smoke detectors with zwave battery powered ones. It will not pass code, and as mentioned they will not signal each other. I use a few of these, but they are supplemental to the code required, hard wired ones.
              Good plan - I'll get a couple as supplemental to satisfy my z-wave itch.
              Surprised first alert wouldn't make a hard wired replacement that also talks z-wave. That would be much more desirable.

Comment

Originally posted by denisl View Post
                Good plan - I'll get a couple as supplemental to satisfy my z-wave itch.
                Surprised first alert wouldn't make a hard wired replacement that also talks z-wave. That would be much more desirable.
                They have hard wired ones and they have an optional relay which can then be connected to a Z-Wave device. This is what I did.

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
                  They have hard wired ones and they have an optional relay which can then be connected to a Z-Wave device. This is what I did.
                  Part numbers?

So need smoke... relay and zwave piece?
                  Id rather have wired..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
                  HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                    Part numbers?

So need smoke... relay and zwave piece?
                    Id rather have wired..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

See my earlier post (I think post 47). For Z-Wave device, any one that can detect open and clos such as a door sensor.

Comment

Btw, mine upstairs unit decided to start chirping last night. Last battery check from the night before was 78%. I have yet to get the low battery status alert before chirping starts.

Comment

Originally posted by TechFan View Post
                        Btw, mine upstairs unit decided to start chirping last night. Last battery check from the night before was 78%. I have yet to get the low battery status alert before chirping starts.
                        You have to create an event for that. Should be easy now though... If battery level falls below 78 (79?), then choose an action to notify you.

Comment

Really? Yes, that would be easy, but in the device setup, there is a status code for low battery. . .and I send an email on any change in value for that. . .and I haven't ever seen that. . .

Also, is 78% a reasonable low battery alert level? Seems a bit odd to me. I have another device downstairs that currently reports 70% and it hasn't started chirping yet.

Comment

i just installed 5 of these.... looking forward to see how they work.
                            HS3 Pro on Windows 8 64bit
                            53 Z-wave nodes(46 devices, 7 remotes), 15 DS10a's, 10 ms16a's, 9 Oregon Sensors, W800, RFXCOMtrx433, Way2Call, 3 HSTouch Clients, 2xRussound CAS44, Global Cache GC100-12,10 Rollertrol blinds(+ zwave) ,3 Squeezebox Radios and 1 Squeezebox Boom,DMX Arduino via ethernet,Rain8Net,3x Echo Dot's

Check out my electronics blog here:
                            https://www.facebook.com/RaptorsIrrationalInventions

Comment

Really? Yes, that would be easy, but in the device setup, there is a status code for low battery. . .and I send an email on any change in value for that. . .and I haven't ever seen that. . .
                              The chirp and the "battery low warning" don't appear to be synch'd together. You'd think they would be, but I guess not.

Also, is 78% a reasonable low battery alert level? Seems a bit odd to me. I have another device downstairs that currently reports 70% and it hasn't started chirping yet.
                              If the 78% were accurate, then it does seem odd to me too. Z-Wave battery devices are notoriously inaccurate though... so not sure you can base anything on that. Bottom line... if you want to be notified before the chirping starts, you'll probably need to do the event I suggested. It will be interesting to see when your 70% unit starts chirping.

Comment

Yes, this is what I have observed as well... still happy with these units. They seem to work well.
                                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Working...
                                X