Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only 1 tstat device discovered

Hey guys !

I finally managed to get my insteon thermostat plugin devices to be discovered by the alexa homeseer skill ( misunderstood the update part where you have to delete the devices so there are recreated with the correct settings to be discovered ).

So now, after doing a discover device on alexa's UI, I got my 9 thermostats discovered but it only seems to discover the PROGRAM device of each tstats in the Insteon thermostat plugin. All devices of each thermostats are freshly created by the updated plugin and voice command is activated on each but Alexa does not discover the HEATING and COOLING devices.

I know it sees the tstats because when I ask it to set the heat or cool setpoint, it replies that it is not responding, to check network or power supply.

If I ask it to TURN ON LOUNGE THERMOSTAT, it says this device does not support this command which is normal I guess.

I tried to add "tell homeseer to" or "ask homeseer to" my voice commands but this works even less as it always replies : I'm not sure how I can help you with that...

Any idea what my problem is ? Thx !

No matter how I formulate my command, I cant get it

Anyone that has 9 thermostats must have too much money to spend on a house. Therefore it is required that you must hire a butler to do the tasks that you want.

Kidding!

Kidding aside. My guess is that you're using "option #1"? I am using option #2 and have wondered how option #1 would work in a multi thermostat environment. I will stay tuned to see how others respond to your help request.
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
      Anyone that has 9 thermostats must have too much money to spend on a house. Therefore it is required that you must hire a butler to do the tasks that you want.

Kidding!

Kidding aside. My guess is that you're using "option #1"? I am using option #2 and have wondered how option #1 would work in a multi thermostat environment. I will stay tuned to see how others respond to your help request.
      Haha ! No actually, canadian decentralised 220v heating is pretty common here and even the smallest gettho has a tstat for every room. Electricity costs less then bread around here and even then, people find a way to complain about their monthly hydro bill.

Send us Trump's brother, we need some serious cleanup around here too ( kidding )

As for option 1 and 2. I basically went too fast installing the plug-in in hs and read after that option 1 existed. Since i did not have specific tstats related to events, I deleted all tstat devices and restarted plugin. All devices were updated and all have voice command activated by default.

Prior to deleting them, alexa skill would not find new devices as soon as i got the plugin restarted and new devices created, it discovered 9 of them. Those 9 newly discovered devices are the PROGRAM device of each tstat.

I figured I could at least test the program voice command and work on the others after but even if i limit my command to "alexa, set program to home" ( home being a program from the dropdown menu ). It says thermostat is not responding and to check network or power. Cant find any references to this error msg on any forums around here.

With the hundreds of tests ive done up to now. I think that the "not responding" error is actually an understood command but a problem with communication with the thermostat.

Maybe the 1-single-device thing is not a bug and that hs regroups all sub devices to this main one.

This is all theories but I tried pretty much everything so I'm at the theorical stage !

Comment

Must only be common in Quebec as almost all residential heating on this side of the country is natural gas fired furnaces so most houses only have one or two thermostats. We also don't call electricity hydro [emoji12]

Cheers
        Al

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Hehe, that's probably it. The Quebec and Ontario hydro-electricity systems are surrounding us so we tend to forget energy comes from other sources altough I lived in BC for 2 years and the 3 residences we had were decentralised with standard baseboard heater 220v heating.

Either way, I dont think the number of tstat is in any relation to my device discovery problem.

The API / SKILL dual interface is mixing things up in my understanding. I am right by saying that the Echo Skill is only using the MyHS remote interface to speak with the devices and the Hs API is actually processing Alexa's recognition on server side so much more flexible for event and other triggers ?

Im actually wondering if the API does receive the Echo's voice recognition text decoded commands or if I need a microphone hooked up to my server ? It's not clear in the provided docs and I dont have a microphone on my server so the Audio setting / Microphone dropdown u on the API is empty.

Thx !

Comment

loowee,

Sorry I missed your inquiry here last November. I develop the Insteon Thermostat plugin. When I added better echo support last April 2016 I mostly used the HS Skill "...ask homeseer to..." and not the API. However, I did do some API testing back then and will note that the API at that time did discover heat/cool setpoints and fan devices for each connected thermostat. You can see mention of this in my 2nd post last April here.

Recently, I was asked on my forum about the API only discovering the root device. After some searching here in this forum it, and seeing others with different thermostats like a trane zwave have this same issue, it appears the interface from HS to the API has changed and only the root device is being discovered.

I am able to reproduce the broken results using HS3.0.0.312 and my echo on my test system. I have a wired 2441TH Heat Pump thermostat (called "pump") and have tried things like "Alexa, set the pump to 60 degrees" and get back an error like "Sorry, the device PUMP PROGRAM is not responding. Please check it's network connection and power supply." That is the correct (and discovered) root device for the thermostat but I must need to do something else now that the API usage has changed. Hopefully I'll be able to get this working.

Nathan
            HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
            Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
            Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
            Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
            http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

I just released plugin version 3.0.6.2 to the BETA updater site. This includes a minor bug fix dealing with the MODE device possibly losing the Control Use settings which appears to prevent the Echo API->HS3->plugin path working.

You can read a bit more in my sticky thread here.

Nathan
              HS 3.0.0.435 (PRO)
              Hardware: Napco GEM-P9600 | VenstarT1800 w/Insteon 2441V adapter | Insteon PLM
              Plugins HS3: Napco Gemini (mine) | Insteon Thermostat (mine) | Insteon Plug-in (mnsandler) | HSTouch Server (HST)
              Platform: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, core2 duo 2.0Ghz, 4GB memory
              http://www.kazteel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X