Direct association of motion device to lights to speed things up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct association of motion device to lights to speed things up

I have an Aeon Labs aeotec z-wave multi sensor 6 and Fibaro Dimmer 2 light module. Motion is set up to turn the lights on and off again via an event.

I've been through the settings for the Multisensor, removed polling and changed parameter 5 to 2 which sped things up significantly, however while both devices are working as expected the time it take from the motion trigger (indicated by a green led flash), to lights turning on is 2-3 seconds. This delay feels like a life time!

I have Hue Motion Sensors and Bulbs in other parts of the house and they are literally instant.

Is there a way I can associate the 2 devices directly to each other to speed up the process?

I've tried using the associations settings under Z-Wave tab on parent device of multisensor. It shows group 1 already added to Homeseer and I have no other option to add a further group or even group 1 to another device.

Am I missing something here? The Homeseer manual describes a 'Manage Associations' function as part of the Z-Wave plugin but I don't have access to it.

Any advice gratefully received!

Steve

I do not use associations. Rather, I prefer the control I have by using events. With associations, if there is motion detected then the associated device will turn on. Maybe you don't want this all the time. For example, in every room, if a light is already on, then don't turn on the other lights if motion detected, just reset timer to 0 and begin counting again.

That said, I, too had delays that were bothersome. Here are my steps that made all the difference:

1. Z-Net centrally located. If you are not using one, I strongly recommend that you do.

2. Fully optimize network.

3. Use Z-Seer to further optimize network.

4. Use a fairly fast computer with a SSD. Don't put a lot on this computer - let it just run.

Hope this helps.
    Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,
      Thanks for your input. I actually agree entirely. I'd much rather have fine control over what happens on a motion trigger, rather than a binary on/off association. As a reference how long do your lights take from motion triggered? Anything under 1 second for me would be OK, Philips Hue are less than 0.25 of second!

I have been through your advice one by one and checked every thing is optimised and I believe it is apart from no. 1.

1. The Z-Net is not centrally located. It wouldn't be impossible to achieve this but a big piece of work. Would this realistically make a difference given answer to 3 do you think?

2. Fully Optimized (using 'Fully Optimize a Network' option in Z-Wave Plugin).

3. I've downloaded and run Z-Seer and can see that the both the Multisensor and Fibaro Dimmer 2 have direct 100k connections. I don't believe there is any room for improvement here? All other devices have 0 or 1 hops with just 2 devices with 2 hops.

4. I'm using a 2016 HP Laptop with i5, SSD and 8GB RAM. It runs Windows 10, HS3, Ubiquiti Unify only.

Again the Philips Hue light/motion combo is instant, but I'd really rather have the full control HS3 provides.

I'd be happy to look at other motion sensors such as Fibaro but I fear I may run into the same issue?

Comment

Get the Ecolink motions. I have a mixture of the aeon and the Ecolink and I much prefer the Ecolinks if I don't need all the extra stuff that the aeon can do.

Also, it just so happens HS has them on sale right now for under 30 bucks. You will see a lot think the same way I do with these on the forum. So far they are the fasts acting zwave motion I have seen.

Plus placement of the motion is key to get as quick as possible (I know this isn't always easy). Make sure you are walking across its view, not towards it.

In areas that I have doors too (like my laundry room), I also add a door sensor to help with light control wherever I can.

Along with the info you received above and what I provided, I think you should be on a good start to get things better.

At the end of the day this stuff is RF and with RF, there is inherently going to be some delays, but we can work to minimize as much as possible. Automation is the pure definition of Rube Goldberg Machine with many points of failure.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          Get the Ecolink motions. I have a mixture of the aeon and the Ecolink and I much prefer the Ecolinks if I don't need all the extra stuff that the aeon can do.

Also, it just so happens HS has them on sale right now for under 30 bucks. You will see a lot think the same way I do with these on the forum. So far they are the fasts acting zwave motion I have seen.

Plus placement of the motion is key to get as quick as possible (I know this isn't always easy). Make sure you are walking across its view, not towards it.

In areas that I have doors too (like my laundry room), I also add a door sensor to help with light control wherever I can.

Along with the info you received above and what I provided, I think you should be on a good start to get things better.

At the end of the day this stuff is RF and with RF, there is inherently going to be some delays, but we can work to minimize as much as possible. Automation is the pure definition of Rube Goldberg Machine with many points of failure.
          Thanks for the info. I'm the same as you, don't need anything other than motion. Unfortunately I am in the UK and we use a different wavelength for Z-Net. US Z-Wave products don't talk to UK ones:-(

Do you have any experience with Fibaro Motion Sensors? They seem to be popular here...

Out of interest what response time would you say you're getting from trigger to action?

Comment

Originally posted by Stevemeck View Post
            Thanks for the info. I'm the same as you, don't need anything other than motion. Unfortunately I am in the UK and we use a different wavelength for Z-Net. US Z-Wave products don't talk to UK ones:-(

Do you have any experience with Fibaro Motion Sensors? They seem to be popular here...

Out of interest what response time would you say you're getting from trigger to action?
            Oops, I didn't see you were in EU. I have never used the Fibaro though. They just recently started selling here in the states within the past year or so, and I already had everything setup that I needed.

For the Aeon's it can be a second or two, they seem to take a bit to wake up. I see slightly better responses out of the ones that I have plugged in, but still not as good as the ecolinks. The ecolinks are fairly instant.

I also have a couple motions on my DSC alarm panel and they seem to be good as well, but the DSC panel usually puts in a delay to help with false triggers, and you need to bypass this (just another idea for you to explore).

Comment

If you have direct communication to your z-net then I wouldn't move it.

I have Ecolinks and they are nearly instantaneous.

Could you use a US z-net to communicate with Ecolinks?
              Michael

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post

As an option, I have found the ecolink Zwave plus sensors for 26.95 on the smartest house as well. I'm going to give these a shot if they are instant.

Comment

Working...
                X