Windows 10 Pro Share Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Pro Share Problems

I just started putting together a new win 10 pro computer and I am having trouble getting the shared folders to work. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should look and start. I already shut off the windows firewall, but that isn't helping.

Thanks

Right click on the folder you want to share,
    select Properties,
    choose the sharing tab,
    select Advanced Sharing,
    select 'Share this folder'.

You can change the name and set permissions, which are quite restricted as the default.

This is the old fashioned way, just like the previous Windows versions, rather than the way Windows wants you to do it, but it works for me.

Comment

Thanks. I tried that but it didn't work. I gave all the users full access, but when I try to create a network folder for the shared folders on my laptop or any other computer running win 10, I get the popup that I don't have the correct rights.

Comment

Are you logged in as an Admin? I believe Microsoft has decided that Windows 10 should not let Admins do lots of things that Admins used to be able to do.... you know.... for your own good.
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
          Thanks. I tried that but it didn't work. I gave all the users full access, but when I try to create a network folder for the shared folders on my laptop or any other computer running win 10, I get the popup that I don't have the correct rights.
          Is it possible that you are using a Microsoft account to log into the Windows 10 machines and the shared folder is using local credentials? If that is the case you should be prompted for credentials on the shared folder(s). Some more details would help, such as the operating system hosting the shared folders.

Sharing folders between two Windows 10 computers using the same Microsoft account should be automatic.

You also have the option of using a local account to log into a Windows 10 machine, which should make sharing with older machines work better.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

All the computers are running either win 10 home or pro. The only computer that I am using the Microsoft account to login is my laptop, all the other computers I am using the local login/password combination. I am not getting any prompt to put in any credentials, just the popup saying I don't have the rights to the folders. I am logged in as administrator on all the machines, as I didn't create different users for any of the computers, just me.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X