www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Camera Plug-ins > Camera Discussion > HomeSeer NetCam Plug-in

HomeSeer NetCam Plug-in The NetCam plugin provides access to network based cameras.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:46 PM
Seer Master

Which NetCam (HS or Panny)

Hi All

I'm looking for a couple of reasonably priced netcams to hook into HS and view from web. My property has good views form several indoor locations, so I can mount indoors (if quite small and decent looking).

The three I'm looking at are:

HS wireless outdoor: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Wire...-P888C194.aspx

HS indoor: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Wire...-P962C194.aspx

and the Panasonic BB-HCM511A: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BB-H...8410777&sr=1-1

The Panasonic one is quite a bit more, but has exceptional night vision

Anyone willing to share any sample nighttime images from the HS ones?

Anyone know whose the HS ones are made by (not interested in buying elsewhere, just want to read more about them).

Don't really care about wireless. I'm rewiring house so I can put in network points where I need them, and it needs power anyway so still needs wires.

Regards

mark
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:59 PM
OverSeer

I have the second one you mentioned in the garage (there's pictures posted on forum under the ZM part).

I don't utilize it wirelessly and it does a very good job illuminating the garage in total darkness. The one I have is the second generation in which they replaced a blinking led with an illuminating LED. The LEDs though are "seen" in darkness glowing omninously.

I don't move it. It is somewhat large. I have a couple of PIR/Camera's which are much smaller and really not noticible. (they were closer to $200 though).

I also have an older Panasnoic IP. It doesn't do well in the dark but with light it looks fine. (also posted pictures somewhere on the forum).

The two HS cams you posted are known as "Foscam" cameras. They are a very popular reasonably priced camera.

The Panasonic (lots of pixelation) is mostly in the dark with a little light even though the picture looks bright; its really not. The Trendnet has really no night illumination but its very small. Note that the Panasonic is a few years old. The Foscam is the largest, then Panasonic and finally smallest is Trendnet (most metal too).

I have "blocked" the IR Illuminators on two of the outside dome cams due to reflections. If you decide to use one for an outside view with IR; you will get reflections back from the glass making them kind of useless. The stationary IP cams don't have that issue; but over time the glass lens / insulating foam can become "detached" from the glass causing reflections from the IR to the lens. You are better utilizing low voltage 12VDC IR Illuminators outside for cams.
Attached Images

Automator

HS3 Pro & Lite
Edition Beta 3.0.0.387 | Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit | Oracle Windows Virtual Box ==> for Wintel only SAPI and HS3 plugins

Last edited by Pete; February 22nd, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:04 PM
OverSeer

You can get the Foscams cameras here:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Netcams-C194.aspx
Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Seer Master

are they the FI8918W models though (newest)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
OverSeer

The FI8918W is the second generation camera. The Foscam FI8908W is the first gen. The FI8908W was also produced with two different models with different FW.

Quote:
There are 2 distinct generations of Foscam FI8908W: The non-branded (they call this neutral) and the newer ones bearing the Foscam logo on the casing (they call this logo cameras).
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Seer Master

Thanks Pete

But doesn't help me fdigure out if HS are selling the newer one though. Anyone know? I'd like to support their business, but don't want to buy outdated products.

Regards

mark
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Seer Master

The 2 FI8918W I order from HS are the newer ones, I did need to update them to the newer firmware.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
OverSeer

Mark,

Call up and ask specific questions.

Personally I see the IPCams getting better. My real only experience is with what I have today (and playing with Axis IP cams around early 2000's).

I personally believe the Foscam is OK for a "taste" of an IP Cam / entry level reasonably priced.

Beyond that for some serious IPCam security "stuff" I would would go with something like:

http://www.mobotix.com/
Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:03 PM
Seer Master

Thanks Zap
Old February 27th, 2011, 08:47 AM
OverSeer

Here's a nice unbiased review of various IP camera's under $500 provided by Scot12V.

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...howtopic=17255

What I've noticed is that the oldest analogue Optex cameras I have mounted outside have done the best job relative to being outside and continuing to function just fine over the last 6 years or so. ALL of the other lower priced cams have been replaced at least once or twice in the last 6 years. One of the newer outdoor cams is a Speco and other than covering up the IR due to reflections it appears to be doing fine. (purchased "on sale" at less than $100 - list price was greater than $200). In the next couple of months will be replacing one of the outdoor cams with an IP camera. It will be subject to the "elements" with no protection from weather or sun; most likely will be a "dome" style IP outdoor camera as pictured. The Speco pictured below is set up in a similiar fashion exposed to all of the elements. The most difficult piece of setting up this camera was related to the manual adjustments provided by the camera (lens - shutter - etc). It still behaves a bit better than the other outdoor lower priced dome mounted in a similiar fashion relative to what happens when the sun hits it. (the shutter "flickers" with direct sunlight causing motion effects with ZM).
Attached Images

Last edited by Pete; February 27th, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:00 PM
HomeSeer Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
Thanks Pete

But doesn't help me fdigure out if HS are selling the newer one though. Anyone know? I'd like to support their business, but don't want to buy outdated products.

Regards

mark
If you contact us directly, you'll usually get a much faster response. You can call us or use the form on our "contact us" page. FYI

.. and yes, we've been selling the 8918W version for several months now.

website | products | support | youtube