No announcement yet.

Discussions related to HS3 build 3.0.0.368

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I again went through the code changes since 318 and I can account for all the changes except for the import/export JSON changes. Those changes change some classes and we use serialization to save/restore. Its possible the changes are causing some corruption, but no way to check.

I have created a 375 build with the import/export JSON removed. This means all the event handling is the same as it was in build 318. If you are seeing crashes can you try this build and see if there is any change.

If this does indeed fix the problem I will then have to work out a new way to save/restore events as this change totally breaks Linux since events cannot be restored there (if the event was added after build 318). Windows appears to be ok, but I would back up your HSD file first just in case your events get lost.

http://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_375.msi
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For the record I'm on .349 and have not seen any crashing, extraordinary memory usage, delayed events, etc. I have HSTouch enabled. It would appear that these issues sprung up somewhere after this version as complaints didn't appear until somewhere around .350 or so.
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

For what it is worth, I have been testing .374 with HSTouch and MyHS enabled and all plugins disabled except ZWave. As you can see below, there was no real change. I will start testing .375 now.
        Attached Files

Comment

If this is true, it would be very helpful information. But some people are not seeing the issue with any version. Could you update to build 374 and see if you see a memory leak or crash? You can make a copy of your HS3 folder so you can easily go back.

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          For the record I'm on .349 and have not seen any crashing, extraordinary memory usage, delayed events, etc. I have HSTouch enabled. It would appear that these issues sprung up somewhere after this version as complaints didn't appear until somewhere around .350 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
            If you are seeing crashing or a memory leak, please try this latest build (374). Note that I have not tested it for very long so please back up your current HS3 folder so you can go back easily if needed.

Since I cannot recreate the issue, I went through the code and cleaned up areas that allocate a lot of memory. I also updated the code to use .NET 4.5.2 from 4.0. Maybe there are some .net changes that will help. I did find a small memory leak if HSTouch was disabled. Doubt this was noticeable though.

Windows build is here:

https://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_374.msi

I uploaded the Linux builds also.

If you do see a memory leak, please post the info from the help page as I have added so details about the queues used by HS. It might show a problem.
            After 372 crashed I updated to 374. I also manually looked at each of my events and found a few that were broken from missing devices because I had previously disabled a plugin that I do not plan to use any more. I deleted or fixed each event that had problems of any kind. Then I restarted Homeseer. It seems that either that or 374 has addressed the memory leak. HS3.exe has been stable at like 45mb for a day. I suspect that the events were the problem. I am pretty sure they have been that way since 318, as I disabled that plugin quite a while ago. If my hypothesis is correct, then 318 handled the problem events better than 368 and above. If there is a way to set incomplete events to disabled by default that might protect us users from ourselves. Just sayin.

Code:
            Current Date/Time: 10/10/2017 8:39:07 PM
            HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.374
            Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard - Server
            System Uptime: 0 Days 23 Hours 13 Minutes 52 Seconds
            IP Address: 192.168.1.105
            Number of Devices: 708
            Number of Events: 172
            Available Threads: 200
            Event Threads:2
            Event Trigger Eval Queue:0
            Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue:0
            Device Exec Queue:0
            Plugin Callback Queue:0
            HSTouch Event Queue:0
            Email Send Queue:0

Enabled Plug-Ins
            3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
            3.0.0.18: DirecTV
            3.0.0.39: EasyTrigger
            0.0.0.3: Garadget 3P
            3.0.1.3: IFTTT
            3.0.0.24: ImperiHome
            1.1.3.1: JowiHue
            2.17.0.18: MCSSPRINKLERSS
            1.0.15132.98: MPower
            3.0.0.28: Nest
            3.0.1.83: PHLocation
            3.0.0.5: Pushalot
            0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P
            30.0.0.35: RFXCOM
            3.1.0.22: Sonos
            3.0.6132.16975: UltraGCIR3
            3.0.6440.19101: UltraMon3
            3.0.0.40: UPBSpud
            3.0.0.73: weatherXML
            3.0.1.130: Z-Wave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jlrichar; October 10, 2017, 10:42 PM. Reason: added support system info

HS3 : HSpro (3.0.0.460) on Win2012 (vm on ESXi)
            Plugins: HSTouch, UPBSpud, Kinect, Nest, IFTTT, DirecTV, EasyTrigger, Imperihome, Zwave, RFXcom, UltraMon3, UltraWeatherBug3, UltraGCIR3, UltraLog3, UltraPioneer, PHLocation, Pushover, Pushalot, MCSSPrinklers S, JowiHue
            Jon00 Plugins: Bluetooth Proximity, Performance Monitor, DB Chart, Links

Comment

I again went through the code changes since 318 and I can account for all the changes except for the import/export JSON changes. Those changes change some classes and we use serialization to save/restore. Its possible the changes are causing some corruption, but no way to check.

I have created a 375 build with the import/export JSON removed. This means all the event handling is the same as it was in build 318. If you are seeing crashes can you try this build and see if there is any change.

If this does indeed fix the problem I will then have to work out a new way to save/restore events as this change totally breaks Linux since events cannot be restored there (if the event was added after build 318). Windows appears to be ok, but I would back up your HSD file first just in case your events get lost.

https://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_375.msi
              I don't find a 375 build for Linux.

-M.

Comment

Running .375 for just under 2 hours and memory has gone from 34,336k to 42,988k

Current Date/Time: 11/10/2017 8:26:17 PM
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.375
                Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - Work Station
                System Uptime: 0 Days 1 Hour 51 Minutes 8 Seconds
                IP Address: 192.168.2.119
                Number of Devices: 102
                Number of Events: 0
                Available Threads: 400
                Event Threads:0

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Not sure if it's really relevant to this thread but yesterday I decided (no idea why) to take my Windows 7 (x86) HS3 machine from .net framework 4.5.2 up to 4.7.

System is running HS3 version 3.0.0.367 and Z-Wave 3.0.1.143 and there were no other changes other than running the .net 4.7 offline installer found here.

I've not seen any major HS3 memory issues or crashes for many months (probably years come to think of it) with the exception of a constant increase in HS3 handles which has always been there but doesn't cause a problem as I would re-start HS3 at least once a month anyway.

Following the .net update, everything appeared to be working as normal until I looked in the HS3 log and found a stream of Z-Wave errors. Basically the Z-Wave plug-in would not stay connected to my UZB1 interface and was getting itself in a right old mess eventually crashing the plug-in.
                  No amount of re-starts and fiddling with settings fixed the problem but I was able to connect to the UZB1 OK with the Zensys tools app and control devices etc.

I didn't leave it running in this state long enough to check anything else before I backed out the 4.7 update and went back to 4.5.2. As soon as this was done, hey-presto everything returned to normal and has been running error free for 24 hours now.

So,the purpose of this post:
                  I wonder if there is any link between the .net framework version and those users that are seeing problems with HS3 and various other plug-in's.

Paul..

Comment

That would be a good find, but I checked the code and the first thing it does is check if the device to be controlled exists, if not, it does nothing. So I don't see how this would have affected anything.

Its possible the events are not being loaded properly due to the changes I made to import/export events as json. I have backed out those changes and posted a build 375 to test that theory. So anyone seeing a memory leak, please try build 375 and see if the leak still exists.

In your case, editing the events may have removed some of the events that were not loaded properly.

Originally posted by jlrichar View Post
                    After 372 crashed I updated to 374. I also manually looked at each of my events and found a few that were broken from missing devices because I had previously disabled a plugin that I do not plan to use any more. I deleted or fixed each event that had problems of any kind. Then I restarted Homeseer. It seems that either that or 374 has addressed the memory leak. HS3.exe has been stable at like 45mb for a day. I suspect that the events were the problem. I am pretty sure they have been that way since 318, as I disabled that plugin quite a while ago. If my hypothesis is correct, then 318 handled the problem events better than 368 and above. If there is a way to set incomplete events to disabled by default that might protect us users from ourselves. Just sayin.

Code:
                    Current Date/Time: 10/10/2017 8:39:07 PM
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.374
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard - Server
                    System Uptime: 0 Days 23 Hours 13 Minutes 52 Seconds
                    IP Address: 192.168.1.105
                    Number of Devices: 708
                    Number of Events: 172
                    Available Threads: 200
                    Event Threads:2

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
                    3.0.0.18: DirecTV
                    3.0.0.39: EasyTrigger
                    0.0.0.3: Garadget 3P
                    3.0.1.3: IFTTT
                    3.0.0.24: ImperiHome
                    1.1.3.1: JowiHue
                    2.17.0.18: MCSSPRINKLERSS
                    1.0.15132.98: MPower
                    3.0.0.28: Nest
                    3.0.1.83: PHLocation
                    3.0.0.5: Pushalot
                    0.0.0.34: Pushover 3P
                    30.0.0.35: RFXCOM
                    3.1.0.22: Sonos
                    3.0.6132.16975: UltraGCIR3
                    3.0.6440.19101: UltraMon3
                    3.0.0.40: UPBSpud
                    3.0.0.73: weatherXML
                    3.0.1.130: Z-Wave

Comment

Unfortunately 375 breaks all events if you have ever run build 357 or later. There was a change to the event format and Windows was fine with it, and Linux is ok with the change, but its not ok going back to the old format (Windows is ok going back).

So first I want to see if this fixes the issue, if not, then I will put the event changes back in. If it does fix it, then I have to figure out a way to get Linux to load both the old and new format.

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
                      I don't find a 375 build for Linux.

-M.

Comment

Unfortunately 375 breaks all events if you have ever run build 357 or later. There was a change to the event format and Windows was fine with it, and Linux is ok with the change, but its not ok going back to the old format (Windows is ok going back).

So first I want to see if this fixes the issue, if not, then I will put the event changes back in. If it does fix it, then I have to figure out a way to get Linux to load both the old and new format.
                        OK, gotcha.

Running Linux 374 since about midnight last night. For me, the memory spike has taken roughly 24 hours to occur, but I'll be watching throughout the evening.

I'm sampling memory usage every 5 minutes by all of the Mono processes and from what I'm seeing there is some specific triggering condition that's causing this. If you look at the attached chart snippet, this is very typical of what I've been seeing. The top chart is the HSConsole USS memory value. The bottom chart is the HSConsole thread count. The two charts are time-correlated. What's a little hard to see is that the thread count value for HSConsole starts at around 50-ish just after a restart and gradually climbs to the peak value in this chart of 117 threads. Memory usage for HSConsole is completely flat at around 70-ish MB until around 8PM where it then balloons to over 600MB by roughly midnight (which is when I rebooted). Throughout, the handful of plugins I'm using have flat memory usage.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Rich,

I do not know if all this helps, but I have been running .375 since yesterday. I find that the memory leak (increase) to be much less now but still present. This morning after reading the post by jlrichar I also removed some events that were broken by disabling PIs. The memory increase seemed to level off but then started to rise again. I also verifed that I am using .NET version 4.7 as I guess all Windows 10 Creators Update users have. At a loss at what to test at this point.

Bob
                          Attached Files

Comment

Comment

To any Linux users could I suggest an upgrade to Mono 5 if not already done so. I noticed a significant drop in MEM usage after upgrading. Just a suggestion.

Comment

Bob,

Can you email me the HSD file you are using? I have to believe that this issue has to do with the combination of events and devices. While I won't have the hardware you have, maybe I can duplicate the leak with your config.

If I can just recreate the leak, I have the tools to find it quickly!

Even better, if you can zip up your entire HS3 folder, I can then run the exact config here.

Originally posted by Bob_Linux_User View Post
                                Rich,

I do not know if all this helps, but I have been running .375 since yesterday. I find that the memory leak (increase) to be much less now but still present. This morning after reading the post by jlrichar I also removed some events that were broken by disabling PIs. The memory increase seemed to level off but then started to rise again. I also verifed that I am using .NET version 4.7 as I guess all Windows 10 Creators Update users have. At a loss at what to test at this point.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X