No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With 4 ports on the firewall you can also separate the camera network physically without using a VLAN. Same too if you want a guest wireless network.

As Wayne99 mentions above doing the VLAN / autonomous network thing provides a bit more security.

Thank you Rob.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Please count me in Pete.

I have no idea on how to setup pfsense (not even sure I know everything it can do) but it seems like a good thing to have for security at home.
      BTW, what are people using to see all of the traffic on their network like cameras calling home, etc?

I currently have fiber directly to my house so no modem just a fiber box. I use an ASUS RT-N66U router. I have 2 TPlink 16 port switches. I use a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk for my wifi. I have POE Hikvision cameras as well.

Hopefully there is a setup guide somewhere on how to set it up with all this the best way. I would just like to protect my network the best I can.

Thanks
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

PFSense is very easy to test.

That said I am starting a how to guide in the help section. There is are links above to a You Tube set of PFSense instructional videos above which were suggested by LogBuilder.

If you have a spare PC around with two network cards just use the USB stick live boot / installation of PFSense on your home network. Shut off DHCP and you can play around with the menus and gui.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          PFSense is very easy to test.

That said I am starting a how to guide in the help section. There is are links above to a You Tube set of PFSense instructional videos above which were suggested by LogBuilder.

If you have a spare PC around with two network cards just use the USB stick live boot / installation of PFSense on your home network. Shut off DHCP and you can play around with the menus and gui.
          Sounds like fun.
          Please add me to your list - I'll take one.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
            Please count me in Pete.

I have no idea on how to setup pfsense (not even sure I know everything it can do) but it seems like a good thing to have for security at home.

BTW, what are people using to see all of the traffic on their network like cameras calling home, etc?

I currently have fiber directly to my house so no modem just a fiber box. I use an ASUS RT-N66U router. I have 2 TPlink 16 port switches. I use a Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk for my wifi. I have POE Hikvision cameras as well.

Hopefully there is a setup guide somewhere on how to set it up with all this the best way. I would just like to protect my network the best I can.

Thanks

Hey Bob, currently I am using a ubiquti edgerouter that I am wanting to replace with pfsense. Nothing wrong with it just outgrowing what it can do. It has pocket counts for each node. I then do wireshark traces (need a managed switch with a mirrored port on your internet connection to do this) to see what traffic is going where.

Comment

Please note that is group purchase is relating to a hardware router device with 4 NIC ports on it. I am trying to do a best buy for the buck here for a nano ITX based appliance of sorts.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I notice that the pfsense folks are saying that version 2.5 will require a processor that supports AES-NI. Are you factoring that capability into the specs for this box?

Comment

Right now the commonly utilized CPU in the above look at what is out there relating to nano ITX is an Intel J1900. It is cheaper now and very plentyful.

AND now we are seeing ARM CPUs that also support AES-NI.

I am looking and this will be a price thing especially for a $100 target price goal.

Guessing when PFSense version 2.5 will appear is still a big guess and could be maybe two years up.

Read about it here on the PFSense Forum.

Topic: pfSense 2.5 will only work with AES-NI capable CPUs (Read 9985 times)

and here:

pfSense 2.5 and AES-NI

Are you factoring that capability into the specs for this box?

I am trying...that said everything that looks like the above hardware is using an Intel J1900 that I have found.

BTW relating to ARM cpus the following support AES-NI.

Allwinner:

A10, A20, A30, A31, A80, A83T, H3 and A64 using Security System

Broadcom:

BCM5801/BCM5805/BCM5820 using Security Processor

Tinker toy playing right now is with a micro firewall with a Mediatek MT7620A. Thinking it supports TrueCrypt and that supports AES-NI.

Netgate sells an arm based firewall for $149.

[ATTACH]62351[/ATTACH][ATTACH]62352[/ATTACH]

• NXP i.MX7 CPU, dual-core Cortex-A7 1GHz
                  • Up to 2GB DDR3 and 32GB eMMC
                  • 3G/LTE modem, WiFi a/b/g/n, BT 4.1 and ZigBee
                  • 2x 1000Mbps Ethernet, 4x USB2, RS485, RS232
                  • Support for PoE powered mode

Here is one with a Intel Celeron Processor 3215U (2M Cache, 1.70 GHz, Broadwell) CPU. It is a bit bigger than my target mini pc firewall box.

[ATTACH]62353[/ATTACH]
                  Last edited by Pete; July 19, 2017, 04:39 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

For those on FiOS...

I just found this write-up, which seems to address how to use PFSense in front of your Verizon equipment AND preserve all the FiOS services: https://nguvu.org/pfsense/verizon/pfsense-verizon/
                    cheeryfool

Comment

Very nice James.

Here Verizon had just connected the old coax to the ONT and feed it to the Verizon combo box. It was many years ago and I did have cat5e going to the old Verizon telephone box outside. So here left the televisions / DVR stb's connected to one network that used coaxial cables to the STBs (motorola did have RJ45 ports at that one the boxes) and put connected one verizon NIC port on a DMZ and connected that port to the firewall.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Add me to the list. Thanks

Comment

Thank you fack02 for your interest.

Today received an email tickle to update PFSense.

As with Homeseer here backed up current configuration. Note that you can do this automatically as it is just an xml file.

It took about 5 minutes and was painless.

[ATTACH]62362[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]62363[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]62364[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]62365[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]62366[/ATTACH]
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

i would be interested in two. this is perfect timing as i have been wanting to replace my sonicwall pro 4060 at work.

Comment

Thanks guys.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, is it to late to get on the list? If not please add me.

Thanks
                                Billy

Comment

Working...
                                X