www.homeseer.com    

Go Back   HomeSeer Message Board > Thermostat / HVAC Plug-ins > Thermostat / HVAC Discussion

Old April 26th, 2017, 12:16 PM
Seer Master

Best ceiling fans and control?

i saw the Haiku wifi line and am interested. yet no easy HS integration except they have Echo... so thats good. i have a few fans now not great use simple zwave on off relay to control. anyone have suggestions for efficient multispeed fan units to integrate control via HS??
Old April 27th, 2017, 07:13 AM
Seer Master

I use this with my fans and it works very well with HS.

https://shop.homeseer.com/products/g...nt=22854680902
Old April 27th, 2017, 09:41 AM
Seer Master

I use a GE Jasco fan control switch. Works like a champ for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 27th, 2017, 09:48 AM
Super Seer

+1 on the GE switches. They are kludgy on their setup though as the low/med/high setting is actually a dimmer setup (I think this is an HS issue as its presented as a dimmer switch).

It works well, 10-30 percent on the dimmer is low, 31-70 is med, and 71 up is high.

Also I really like that when you first turn it on, it gives a little power boost to the fan to get it up to speed quicker. Nice little touch, that I doubt most notice.
Old April 27th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Seer Master

I use insteon FanLincs for all my fans. It gives me light and fan control in 1 unit up at the fan. I couple them with KeypadLincs. This gives me 6-8 buttons to control them. For instance for my living room and dining room, I can control 3 ceiling fans (independently) and 2 sets of lights with 3 buttons left over (1 is used to control an outlet actually). Soon I will be adding 1 more ceiling fan (for the kitchen).

I retain dimming and fan speed control, though it is a bit clunky if you only use 1 button per device like I do. The same button does dim up and dim down.. it alternates, I believe starting with Dim Down. So you have to press and hold for a second, then release and press and hold again to dim up. That said, we don't normally adjust the lighting level and/or fan speeds using the KPLs. We depend on automation and/or other methods of control (phones).

Another nice feature is that I set all the ceiling fans to turn on to Med by default. If you want to turn it on High instead, you can just double click the button while it's off (Which is a fast on). Same for the lights. They default to 1 level (living room is 50%), but a double click will turn them on full.
Old April 28th, 2017, 06:21 PM
Seer

Another +1 for the GE switch, like others said the setup is a little funny in HS, but it's not hard to get going!
Old May 1st, 2017, 09:14 PM
Seer Deluxe

Another fan of the GE fan dimmers.

Michael
Old May 1st, 2017, 10:29 PM
Seer Deluxe

Currently waiting on Bond.io. Fingers crossed!

http://fan-bond.com

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old May 2nd, 2017, 10:00 AM
Seer Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sireone View Post
Currently waiting on Bond.io. Fingers crossed!

http://fan-bond.com

hadn't seen that.... thanks. Solves my problem with a fan remote and wall switch that is RF.

pricey though.
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:23 AM
Seer Deluxe

Seems simple to setup... really looking forward to this.

Old November 1st, 2017, 12:36 PM
OverSeer

It looks like Bond starts shipping in a couple of weeks. Anxious to hear how they work. I am also interested if and when they will control LG air conditioners and if there is or will be an API. Right now it looks like only ceiling fan control is offered, and the only control is through their app or Alexa.

"Do or do not, there is no try"
-Yoda

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino
Old November 1st, 2017, 07:56 PM
Seer Master

I set up a GE Jasco, and at first I thought they had put the wrong thing in the box as it’s initial confit is a dimmer. I was looking at the amperage ratings and the Homeseer dimmer is actually rated higher. I’m not sure about the switch giving extra boost at the beginning, so why wouldn’t the Homeseer dimmer be better?
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:07 PM
OverSeer

A dimmer is not designed to control a motor. Usually they will not work, make the fan motor buzz and/or they can overheat. A ceiling fan usually uses a single phase capacitor start induction motor. It takes a completely different design than controlling a lamp.
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:36 PM
Seer

Question How about forward / reverse for the fan?

Well, the GE switch looks fine, but it's not at all clear how to get forward and reverse directions for the fan. Any thoughts out there?
Old November 4th, 2017, 05:57 PM
OverSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rogue View Post
Well, the GE switch looks fine, but it's not at all clear how to get forward and reverse directions for the fan. Any thoughts out there?
The reverse is usually hardwired to the windings in the motor. A switch or control at the wall cannot reverse the motor, unless it is a wireless control communicating with a module in the fan.
Old November 29th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Viewer

How is everyone setting up the GE switches? Ours act just like dimmers, it's one of the things I don't really like about them. Is there anything to setup?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old November 29th, 2017, 04:03 PM
Seer Master

You have to go into the status graphics/ control page and edit the control points. I configured 3 control points on mine, off, low 30% dim, med 60% dim, and on at 100. I control with HSTouch with a fan icon which leads to a fan control box which has the settings Off, low, med, high. I'll be honest and say I don't think I've ever tried to control the fan with the switch, so I don't know how that works out. I know I can turn the fan onand off by the switch, but to switch between the levels I haven't tested out. I don't really like that it isn't a scene controller with double and triple taps. I assume if I hit the on twice it would be on medium setting, but I'm not sure.