This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hub Stopped Responding Events

Every so often (not frequently) I will come home to a dark house. It always is because the Insteon plugin cannot communicate with the hub. I can almost always correct this almost immediately by disabling and re-enabling the Insteon plugin. In this case, i can see from the log that the problem started around 7:15am. I successfully reset the plugin and re-established communications with the hub at 5:20 pm. So whatever was going on with the hub, it had plenty of time to reset itself or timeout or whatever.

I can see that the plugin tried to restart the interface 8 times at a 15 seconds interval, and then gave up. Is this perhaps not long enough for the hub to recover? Should it try longer?

My next question is how can I detect and fix this situation with events?
    First off, I'd like to be notified when it happens. I noticed that there's an Insteon special trigger for "Interface Stops Responding" I just wanted to confirm that this is what will trigger when the plugin stops communicating with the hub. How is this different from "Interface crashes"

I also see that there are Insteon actions for enable and disable interface. do these correspond with the same actions that the plugin does on it's own?

please shutdown the plugin and add the following to the insteon.ini

[hub]
    GetXMLBufferInterval=2000
    the default is 1000 msecs

"Interface Stops Responding" will fire when the plugin has trouble communicating with the hub. and then starts the reconnect cycle you see.

"interface crashes" will fire when the plugin gives up on the interface

the insteon actions are for restarting the plugin and comm with the interface

please try the ini change by itself first.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

This is an educated guess, but is that parameter the polling interval between the plugin and the hub? So changing it to 2000ms would mean that it could be up to two seconds from a button press to homeseer knowing about it?

This feels like a steep price to pay to solve a problem that happens so infrequently. Is this setting change based on your experience that the hub won't always respond correctly with polls that frequent?

Comment

yes its the polling frequency. you can try 1500 if you like

others that have increased the default value do get better results.

i think one of the recent hub updates is causing this but i'm only guessing. if you check the forum you will see others having similar problems.

unfortunately there is no other way around this.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I don't think it's a recent software update. My hub hasn't seen the internet since the day i installed it and it's been here for a few years now.

I guess I'll give this change it a try and see if the slower response bothers me as much as i think it will. But I think I'd prefer setting up events to detect and correct when the failure happens. It's really only once every 3-4 months.

Comment

if it wasn't a hub update, then can you try some networking changes:

different cables, a different port on your hub or switch, or a different hub or switch
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

It could be a power issue. I forget how long it takes the hub to reboot. It could be longer than 2 minutes. It's the only thing I've got in that area that isn't on a UPS. The rest of the equipment would have stayed up if there was a brief power fluctuation. Of all the moving parts here, the power is the least reliable.
              I suppose i could provision another port on the switch and try that. Cables generally don't just go bad, typically they either work or they don't. But i could try that.

Comment

Are your USB ports set to enable power down to save power (that's the default)? If so, the PC can shut down the usb port when there is a long period of inactivity, which renders it inoperative when you need it. I have set my usb ports to disable that function and it resolved a number of different failures.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  It could be a power issue. I forget how long it takes the hub to reboot. It could be longer than 2 minutes. It's the only thing I've got in that area that isn't on a UPS. The rest of the equipment would have stayed up if there was a brief power fluctuation. Of all the moving parts here, the power is the least reliable.
                  I suppose i could provision another port on the switch and try that. Cables generally don't just go bad, typically they either work or they don't. But i could try that.
                  please report back if any of your changes resolves your problem
                  Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
                    please report back if any of your changes resolves your problem

Comment

Working...
                    X